Menu

What are you vowing to change about next year’s holidays?

Caraway

Update:  Yeah, I definitely have to pull the plug on magic-magic and move to knowing we’re playing pretend.

My kid was awake past midnight, and there’s no way to pull it off in our house without 100% deep sleep going on.  And my cat went bananas, tearing up and down the stairs like an elephant, threatening the entire operation.  My nerves cannot take this anymore!!!

But I did make sure to soak up every second of it this morning, through my sleep deprivation.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 4:09 PM, regentrude said:

Say you're doing it "German style". Traditionally, tree goes up Christmas Eve and stays till Epiphany.

That's how it was in my English upbringing too. With real candles on the real Christmas tree. Husband likes the tree up earlier, so we compromise on mid-December.

• Like 1

I think I would like to try going to church at midnight. Since DS was born, we always went at 9:30 Christmas morning, and then came home and did stockings, then lunch, then presents. This year, we went at 3 PM on Christmas Eve instead. It.was.mobbed. And it took long enough to get home that it interfered with cooking dinner. DS did like the experience of a relaxed Christmas morning in PJs, though. Since he's getting older now, maybe we will be up for midnight next time.

• Like 1

Less gifts! I love buying Christmas presents but even the kids this morning said it's too much. 🤦‍♀️ They are almost 18 and 20 and just don't need or want much anymore. They want to donate our time and money more next year so that's what we'll be doing. 

• Like 4

No changes. I never let it get out of control and always enjoy the decorating, baking, and cooking. 

On 12/23/2019 at 3:51 PM, Margaret in CO said:

Our Christmas will change, as it does every year, depending on military obligations. One year Christmas was in May! Last year we went with the 23rd, and this year, 27-28. Who know who will be deployed where. So, flexibility is the key word. And there's always the question--will dh see another Christmas. 

While not as drastic as having military family members, having a first responder in the family also means being flexible. Dss is a firefighter/paramedic and often works holidays. We had Thanksgiving on the Saturday after this year and did Christmas on Christmas Eve. Last year Thanksgiving was on the right day but we did Christmas on the 26th. Next year will again depend on his work schedule.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Update:  Yeah, I definitely have to pull the plug on magic-magic and move to knowing we’re playing pretend.

My kid was awake past midnight, and there’s no way to pull it off in our house without 100% deep sleep going on.  And my cat went bananas, tearing up and down the stairs like an elephant, threatening the entire operation.  My nerves cannot take this anymore!!!

But I did make sure to soak up every second of it this morning, through my sleep deprivation.

This year was our first that Santa didn't play a part. It was all so low-key and chill, lol. No late night scramble! Wooo!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

While not as drastic as having military family members, having a first responder in the family also means being flexible. Dss is a firefighter/paramedic and often works holidays. We had Thanksgiving on the Saturday after this year and did Christmas on Christmas Eve. Last year Thanksgiving was on the right day but we did Christmas on the 26th. Next year will again depend on his work schedule.

We were at a Christmas Eve celebration last night.  We had a police officer there on break, who left for a call.  Then we had 6 volunteer firefighters (3 of them mine) leave for a call.  I’m glad we do pretty low key holidays, because we don’t really know when they’ll be gone!

• Like 1

Save more money in a dedicated place for Christmas.   I did this, and it softened the blow.  But we need to save more.   There are so many expenses this month.   The tree, presents. being in the Nutcracker, tickets to see my kids in the Nutcracker, gifts for everyone in the Nutcracker, cast coats, hosting Christmas and on and on......

Maybe a little more magic on Christmas eve.  We cut out all of our traditions because how zonked we were from being in the ballet. 

Shop more for the kids in the few months before.  I got some things they loved and for great prices.  I had even forgotten what I had gotten for them.  

No more wrapping gifts.  I changed it last year and love it.  We do gift boxes and bags. 

Give the older kids toys.   My oldest didn't ask for any sort of toys this year.  So I didn't get her any.  She really wanted some.  I think everyone wants a little thing to play with.   I think she will probably get some in 2 days from another Christmas.   I was going to get her a hoover board, but learning they just randomly start on fire I didn't.     I think Legos, puzzles, and board games are good gifts for older kids.

I really want to read this over in October. 

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Save more money in a dedicated place for Christmas.   I did this, and it softened the blow.  But we need to save more.   There are so many expenses this month.   The tree, presents. being in the Nutcracker, tickets to see my kids in the Nutcracker, gifts for everyone in the Nutcracker, cast coats, hosting Christmas and on and on......

Maybe a little more magic on Christmas eve.  We cut out all of our traditions because how zonked we were from being in the ballet. 

Shop more for the kids in the few months before.  I got some things they loved and for great prices.  I had even forgotten what I had gotten for them.  

No more wrapping gifts.  I changed it last year and love it.  We do gift boxes and bags. 

Give the older kids toys.   My oldest didn't ask for any sort of toys this year.  So I didn't get her any.  She really wanted some.  I think everyone wants a little thing to play with.   I think she will probably get some in 2 days from another Christmas.   I was going to get her a hoover board, but learning they just randomly start on fire I didn't.     I think Legos, puzzles, and board games are good gifts for older kids.

I really want to read this over in October. 

The biggest hit with my young adults was a Stranger Things Lego set! They hadn't been given Legos in years but I think I'll get another set next year since they enjoyed it so much.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Joker said:

The biggest hit with my young adults was a Stranger Things Lego set! They hadn't been given Legos in years but I think I'll get another set next year since they enjoyed it so much.

That is funny.  I think we will have to just get a family lego set each year or something.    I am not mad at her, but her list had no toys.  All ballet things and books.  I followed the list.  She was happy to get the things she wanted, but I could see her eyeing her younger siblings gifts.  And she laid claim to the huge American Girl Dollhouse the youngest 3 got. 

I googled that set.  That is really cool.  I haven't ever seen the show and my kids haven't either.  

Edited by mommyoffive

DS is 21 and only had clothes and a new printer on his wish list. I have worked hard through the year to get him really good "fidgets" which are toys that go in his stocking that he liked to play with when doing his school work. He still uses them at college. I found a few great ones this year. I will keep that up indefinitely. I did get him a Lego set of New York City where he visited this summer. He loved it. ❤️

My DD is 6 and she had a ball this Christmas. She really knew what was going on, though we don't do a lot of the Santa aspect. Because I was worried she would unwrap presents to peak or explode, I didn't put the presents out till the early morning of Christmas Eve. Just seeing them out cause unbridled joy throughout the day. Each of our three dogs gave her a present and that was the talk of the whole day. "Did they go to the store to buy these presents? Did they wrap them? Did they write the gift tag?" I think I will keep that up long term too.

She had asked for a microscope and science stuff. 🙂 She was thrilled to get the microscope and had a great time doing the gem kit of chiseling plaster away to find gems. I think I could just buy those kits for ever for her and she would be happy.

I also asked DS what he loved about Christmas growing up that he would like us to do again. I was surprised he wanted the lighted candles in the windows. So, the day before Christmas Eve, I hit the sales and got some nice ones for 70% off. They only use 2 AA batteries, have a LED bulb and turn off automatically. We had gotten rid of the old candles with cords. He was very happy when he woke up Christmas Eve and saw the candles.

I am aware of not know where DS will live next year and if he will be with us during Christmas, though I do so hope he is, so I wanted to make this as enjoyable but low key as possible.

• Like 1

My kids are getting older, and the social demands of the season hit me hard this year! I vow to take care of several things in October next year like ordering the swim team Christmas cards, which is my job, and putting several cheesecakes in the deep freeze, since I will apparently be voluntold to bring them on the least convenient days to make cheesecake. I also may move our favorite tradition - homemade gingerbread houses - closer to new year's, because everything slows down then and it will be easier on me. 

As I look over my children's gifts, I WISH I could get people to buy less. It's all good stuff, but as far as stuff they REALLY wanted or needed? Like half. I really am thinking about hiding everything that wasn't on their list for the annual gift drive next year. If they remember and ask for it, they can have it and if not...away it goes to someone who has less. I really need to start pushing the museum memberships and lesson punch cards again. Funds towards DD's gymnastics camp...The grandparent spending is out of control.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I dosed all my kids with melatonin at bed time last night so they wouldn't be kept awake by the excitement of Christmas. That tends to happen even though we've never pretended that Santa is real.

The melatonin worked nicely, and even I was in bed by 10:30.

• Like 3

Hmmmm.  

I just want to enjoy it next year.  This year was a blur of emergencies and visiting people in hospitals, and taking care of people.  

I can’t make everything smooth.  The emergencies were just  bad luck.  

I can shop earlier though, and keep  better track of what’s been purchased for whom, etc.  I fell down on that this year.

I let go of cookies, and perfection.  We had family friends over on Xmas Eve, and that was fun. 

• Like 3

This year we simplified the meal.  My brother and SIL did 2 large beef roasts in crock pots, 2 pans of cheesy potatoes, and corn.  I brought rolls, left over pineapple fluff, pop and sweet munchies.

We all had plenty.  Roast was delicious.  Cooking, serving and clean up was easy.

I was going to make cheesecakes but honestly, we all were full and didn't miss them at all.

• Like 2

We are going to see Trans Siberian Orchestra next year.  I've wanted to go every year for 13 years, and there's always some reason we can't go. Instead of asking "Can we go this year?" and finding out no, we can't go, I'm going to tell everyone "I bought tickets for TSO on this date. We are going", and people can make their holiday party plans around that.   

Edited by MissLemon
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It was great. We did Christmas with friends for two years, but did this one ourselves. Very low key. 

I bought family pajamas and matching ones for the dog, so we took pictures. Mine are in college, and I finally did that -- LOL! 

Like last year, I didn't have a whole lot under the tree, but everyone got some of the things they wanted and few surprises. 

I got smoked turkey from a BBQ place for Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner, and just made rolls and sides. I made orange break for breakfast, and then my younger one made a charcuterie platter for lunch.. 

15 hours ago, Joker said:

Oh my! My 22yo Lego lover/Stranger Things fan would love this. I might have to buy him a set and tell him it's another Christmas gift but just a little late. 

8 hours ago, MissLemon said:

We are going to see Trans Siberian Orchestra next year.  I want to go every year for 13 years, and there's always some reason we can't go. Instead of asking "Can we go this year?" and finding out no, we can't go, I'm going to tell everyone "I bought tickets for TSO on this date. We are going", and people can make their holiday party plans around that.   

I wanted to get ds tickets this year and tell him they were an early Christmas present. I'd have bought him 2 so he wouldn't have to go alone. However, we had several financial obligations come up at holiday time (one unforseen, the others planned) and the tickets just weren't in the budget this year. I'm hoping they'll come to Orlando next year so I can buy him tickets then.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 6:42 PM, Katy said:

I just made tacos for supper.  It was sort of a defeat because I was too busy to plan anything due to some travel earlier this week and because DH was craving them.  Well I plan to make them a family Christmas Eve tradition.  They may not be "festive" but they were quick and easy, everyone ate them without complaint, and my skinniest/pickiest eater is still picking at her plate, despite loads of sugar, junk, and snack foods in the past several days.

In the SW any Mexican food is considered festive Christmas dinner, even by non-Mexicans. It's been pretty standard in my family for decades, only being replaced with platters of pre-made finger foods from Costco during especially busy years. We only recently had 1/4 and 1/2 Mexicans added to our family in the last 2 years, so it's not come down through ancestry or anything, it's a regional tradition.

Last night we had a beef tamales with red sauce, pork tacos, and steak tacos, and various salsas for a traditional Mexican Christmas dinner.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Joker said:

Oooooh!  ST Lego!  Where did you find it?  I’m already planning a birthday for a Stranger Things fan... 

I like the idea of finalizing shopping early. Maybe that will be my Thanksgiving weekend goal next year. That would leave the rest of December for other activities. Even though I shop mostly online, it still takes a bit of time to find deals, etc. 

I really like how much we simplified gatherings. I coordinated both sides and sent out a text saying I was providing a main dish, potatoes and a veggie and everyone else was responsible for filling in whatever else they wanted...beverages, desserts, appetizers, etc. It worked well and we chose easy dishes/make ahead main dishes, so super easy to just heat up. 

I am going to encourage the in-laws to visit earlier in the season to do the gingerbread house, by the time it's done on Christmas, there just isn't time to tolerate it sitting around. We tossed it out already. 

Next year I'd love to do a light tour on a trolley, see Trans-Siberian Orchestra again (this time with the kiddos) or head out of town on Christmas. 

I don't know what we will change, but it needs to be something. I need to find joy again at Christmas, instead of feeling like the season is just an overwhelming to-do list. Some of the things I would like to change, I have not been able to, due to the needs and desires of extended family. And some of the things that I could choose to change, I am clinging to, because they are things that seem like Christmas to me, even though they require work (ex: making cookies). We need to figure out some compromises for next year, but I'm not sure what they will be yet or whether I can actually make them happen.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, whitehawk said:

I think I would like to try going to church at midnight. Since DS was born, we always went at 9:30 Christmas morning, and then came home and did stockings, then lunch, then presents. This year, we went at 3 PM on Christmas Eve instead. It.was.mobbed. And it took long enough to get home that it interfered with cooking dinner. DS did like the experience of a relaxed Christmas morning in PJs, though. Since he's getting older now, maybe we will be up for midnight next time.

This was the first year in awhile we didn't do midnight Mass and I really missed going. We ended up not going because ds6 was having a really difficult day and just needed to be home and needed to get to bed. In the future, we will change Christmas Eve plans a bit to make sure everyone gets a nap in.

49 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I don't know what we will change, but it needs to be something. I need to find joy again at Christmas, instead of feeling like the season is just an overwhelming to-do list. Some of the things I would like to change, I have not been able to, due to the needs and desires of extended family. And some of the things that I could choose to change, I am clinging to, because they are things that seem like Christmas to me, even though they require work (ex: making cookies). We need to figure out some compromises for next year, but I'm not sure what they will be yet or whether I can actually make them happen.

This is where I am too. Yesterday was lovely but I want my kids to remember that it was lovely, not that I was a lunatic from October to January. 

• Like 2

On Christmas Day we celebrate with the extended family, so our Christmas Eve leftovers are a couple of days old before we get to them.  Next year, I'm going to immediately freeze them in meal-sized portions so I can enjoy not cooking during that first week back at school.

• Like 2

Less.  I'm going to bake less and do less. I'm going to do more after Christmas than between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Both dds are away at college now.  The fun of baking is doing it with them.  We will do what we really enjoy and want to do when they are home.  I'll not do as much homemade either.  A nice store bought dessert in place of a labor intensive elaborate homemade dessert.  I'll rotate decorations more too. 

We made a lot of positive changes this year that will hopefully carry over in the future.  We had Christmas dinner and present opening on Christmas Eve.  Christmas Day was solely nibbling on leftovers, playing with the presents that were opened before bedtime and left on the living room floor, and stockings.  It was fantastic!  Next year I hope to have everything purchased before December.  I don't really know how to do that without some impersonal gifts or generic gift closet items.  No matter how hard I plan ahead there is always some random party or gift exchange with specific rules that pops up, that we really do want to attend.  I end up running to Target at the 11th hour to meet said requirements.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

9 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Oh my! My 22yo Lego lover/Stranger Things fan would love this. I might have to buy him a set and tell him it's another Christmas gift but just a little late. 

I wanted to get ds tickets this year and tell him they were an early Christmas present. I'd have bought him 2 so he wouldn't have to go alone. However, we had several financial obligations come up at holiday time (one unforseen, the others planned) and the tickets just weren't in the budget this year. I'm hoping they'll come to Orlando next year so I can buy him tickets then.

When we lived in Chicago, TSO would always play so early in the season. It never occurred to me to get tickets then, because I wasn't feeling Christmasy in early November. 

In Texas, they play right before Christmas, which is great! But it always coincides with MIL's Christmas party. So we couldn't go because she wanted us at the party.  Declining the invite was always a HUGE deal, so no TSO for us. 😞

But I don't care anymore. I am getting tickets and she can schedule her party for another day if our attendance is so critical. 

• Like 1