Menu

What brand/kind of Camera??

Joker

What camera for an 18 year old who loves taking photos? Dd actually takes some amazing photos with her iPhone but would really like an actual camera. This won't be a Christmas gift but something for 18th bday/graduation in a few months. It's been so long since I've taken a photo with anything other than my phone that I don't even know what's out there. This dc is super good at taking care of expensive things so price isn't too big of a deal. 

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Um, how much of not a big deal? You could spend $3-5k if you want. :biggrin: 

Yikes! How about under a thousand. The last time I bought a nice camera (I think it was an SLR?) was probably around 2005 and I think it was $300-400. It was amazing! I had no idea they were so much today. Hopefully we can get something pretty decent for less than a thousand. 

2 hours ago, Joker said:

Hopefully we can get something pretty decent for less than a thousand. 

Oh absolutely you can. There's just a lot of range. 

I haven't looked at cameras in a while. Last I knew, mirrorless were quietly becoming the rage, but I don't know if they're affordable.

What kind of photos? My dh got into photography a year or so ago, so everyone wants him to take the family photos, but he shoots high speed sporting events and both his experience and equipment reflect that. His very impressive-looking lens does not take good portraits from across a normal-sized room, lol. So, consider the type of photos she is currently interested in. 

I wouldn't overspend when jumping from a phone to a camera, because she may not know where her interest will lead her, and there is a whole lot to learn with just the very basics. And she may just always want it to be a very casual hobby. 

We've always had good luck with Canons and lenses are readily available both new and used. Something like the Canon T-6 kit is a good transition from phone shooting and clocks in at $400. There are lots of Canons from $400-$600 and better lenses can be added.  She may not get so deeply or broadly into that she needs a better lens anytime soon, or you might buy one that doesn't suit the purpose. If she does get deeply into it, she will almost certainly wind up needing two cameras and this can be a secondary. I just 'grabbed' this setup at a quick glance, you can definitely get more quality and features for a couple hundred more, so compare several in the price range for specifics. I would tend to go fairly basic because there's so much of a learning curve, plus figuring out what you do and don't want in a camera overall (size, feel, etc). 

Buying used can be a great idea but is much easier when you have some solid knowledge. My dh bought a very expensive lens second-hand but he had someone with a lot more experience guiding him.