Menu

Write at Home and Lantern English Co.

• 3 weeks later...

We’ve been using Lantern English for 8th grade and I’m very happy with it. My daughter did Essay Basics, Poetry, and just registered for Intro to Creative Writing for this quarter. I’m planning on her taking the fiction literature course last quarter and we plan to continue using Lantern for high school. The feedback has been appropriate, constructive, and very helpful. I did not fully understand the format of these classes before starting and I assumed that being online there was more of an interactive component with other students. There is not, however.  It is all email correspondence with the instructor. DD receives an email weekly with her lesson and assignments for the week. I go over the lesson with her and she does the work and emails it back. The instructor grades everything with a rubric and provides feedback as well as marks errors for editing.  It’s been such a great experience. I’m not sure if we will do the full 9th grade program next year or just some writing courses but we will definitely continue.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

We’ve been using Lantern English for 8th grade and I’m very happy with it. My daughter did Essay Basics, Poetry, and just registered for Intro to Creative Writing for this quarter. I’m planning on her taking the fiction literature course last quarter and we plan to continue using Lantern for high school. The feedback has been appropriate, constructive, and very helpful. I did not fully understand the format of these classes before starting and I assumed that being online there was more of an interactive component with other students. There is not, however.  It is all email correspondence with the instructor. DD receives an email weekly with her lesson and assignments for the week. I go over the lesson with her and she does the work and emails it back. The instructor grades everything with a rubric and provides feedback as well as marks errors for editing.  It’s been such a great experience. I’m not sure if we will do the full 9th grade program next year or just some writing courses but we will definitely continue.  

Can you tell me how your daughter is liking the way that is set up?  I believe WAH is set up the exact same way. We have not used a course in writing with that set up. I don't see a negative though unless the writing coach isn't helpful or if the instructions in the assignments are not clear. My son was concerned about not having an actual "lecture." I would love to hear your thoughts/hers on how that has gone for you.

1 minute ago, cintinative said:

Can you tell me how your daughter is liking the way that is set up?  I believe WAH is set up the exact same way. We have not used a course in writing with that set up. I don't see a negative though unless the writing coach isn't helpful or if the instructions in the assignments are not clear. My son was concerned about not having an actual "lecture." I would love to hear your thoughts/hers on how that has gone for you.

Well, I think she would flounder if I didn’t help her initially. But that might be a confidence issue on her part. I always print it out as a packet and sit down with her to go over it, and sometimes she says “oh I understand, I can do this” while sometimes she wants me to walk her through it more thoroughly. The poetry class was definitely harder for her because we had never done formal poetry analysis before. Compared to other formats—she hates videos. She is also very much opposed to trying a live online class. This is non-threatening for her. She did do two BW classes, Write For Fun and a book club. She enjoyed WFF and enjoyed interacting with the other kids message-board style. She did not like the book club as much and pushed back a lot on the discussion part (which was the point of a book club 🙄😂).  It has been really, really good for her to have someone besides me give her feedback on her work and she likes the predictable rubric grading system. 

• Like 1