Menu

Has anyone here used CLE's Agriscience course?

I have a feeling I'd get more answers if I were asking this 10 years ago, but I'll ask anyway. 🙂 Has anyone used this course? The textbook is considered a middle school text, but CLE lists the course on their website as for Grades 8-10. I'm wondering if they add anything in their student materials that makes it worthy of high school credit. There are no samples of the student stuff on their website so I can't look inside to see for myself. Does anybody know? I emailed them to ask but I thought I would ask here as well, in case anyone has seen it or used it.

• Like 1

generally speaking (versus having used specific item)....Once upon a time, many years ago,  I was learning the first time about "if I use a textbook that says middle school, but the student is high school years does it still count?"  The homeschool veteran advice at the time was that yes, if they are in high school years, it counts for high school course even if the text says grade 8.  It didn't work the other way around so that if you were grade 8 and using that book that it was automatically high school.   I don't know the exact course or what CLE does or does not add to it with the light units.  But knowing what I know now on the other side of it all (and last one graduating in a few weeks), I'm ok using a middle school text for a high schooler and calling it "worthy of credit" for a course along the lines of a third science, or an intro to career elective.  I would just make sure to list "introduction to" in my transcript title if I felt uneasy about it. 

I know that doesn't answer your specific question on the specific course. But I hope that has some perspective to help you a bit.  Not everything has to be super rigor to be labeled high school credit especially for more elective style courses. Level of textbook is but one part of the measure.

just one opinion. your mileage will vary

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

CLE emailed me back and told me that the student materials consist of a schedule, questions that are not in the text, instructions to do some of the questions in the text (I'm guessing that means the end-of-chapter reviews), an answer key, and tests. They feel that this material is enough to equal high school credit. I also noticed that the text contains projects at the end of every chapter so there is definitely potential to add hands-on stuff.

I have the book for my DD to read next year in 7th, but I haven't looked at it closely yet. We likely won't do projects and stuff with it, I just want her to be familar with the ideas since we live in an ag dominated location. My friend IRL used it for her boys. They are farmers, so nothing presented in the book was new or challenging to them. Just from flipping through it, the reading level was definitely middle school level. Hope that helps!

• Like 1