Menu

Craziest Christmas Gift you are giving / receiving

SKL

16 minutes ago, wintermom said:

There must be a back story to the plunger. I'm all ears!

Yes:  my kids' bathroom is new-ish and has one of those low-water toilets.  She keeps clogging it (using too much tp) and then needing to borrow my plunger.  No amount of sensible advice seems to help.  I am not a fan of the plunger being carried dripping between the bathrooms.  So today I decided I'm buying one for their bathroom, and I told my kid and asked her if I should give it as a Christmas gift.  She laughed and said yes, she wants it under the tree.  So it will be.  😛

10 years from now, I'm sure she'll be telling some compassionate soul that she had the kind of mom who would wrap up a plunger as a Christmas gift for her teen.  😛

Seriously, this kid has a hard time thinking of things she wants for Christmas, while her sister generates long lists with no trouble.  She feels that her sister gets more stuff, and although she doesn't really want anything, she wants us to come up with stuff so it won't feel like she's getting the short shrift.  So maybe that is why she was happy at the idea of a plunger under the tree for her ....

[FTR she is getting other stuff, LOL, and she always does have about the same amount as her sister, but she feels like some of the joint gifts are really *for* her sister since she doesn't really want the stuff ....]

Edited by SKL
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

I was going to guess that she's a trumpet player.  My list as a 13yo had things like "toilet plunger of a specific size - NOT super wide one at Walmart!" and "the purple felt bag from a bottle of Crown Royal".

She is a trumpet player, but that isn't why, LOL.  Interesting list you had!

Once when my sisters and I were preteens/teens, I handed a gift to my sister for her to open on Christmas. As I picked it up, I thought it felt like peanut butter jars. So I jokingly announced, "You're getting PB!" 

Unbeknownst to me, she had asked for a specific kind/brand of PB. So it turned out that I was right, it was PB. And boy was she really mad that I told her what she was getting. 

As for this year, I don't think their is anything too crazy under our tree. Oh, it's not crazy, but DH made a whole bunch of KEVA planks.

25 minutes ago, SKL said:

My other kid has requested underwear for Christmas twice ... and she got it.  Not sure what others thought when she told them she requested underwear for Christmas.

Last year, DH asked for underwear and the Kiddo asked for math books.  We're a real fun household, lol.

This year, I asked for some bag carrying handles Grocery Bag Carrying Handles.  That's probably the weirdest thing on the list. 

I got a chess clock for Kiddo from the chess club he attends.  He found my hiding place for it, and accused me of stealing the chess clock from the club. WHAT!? Good grief. 

• Haha 9

Well, my DS20 just arrived home from college and I jumped on the ‘Zon to order him a beard and manscaping trim kit. His beard could look good but IMO, it doesn’t at present because it isn’t groomed and his neck is hairy. Blah. That’s gotta go. But I’m giving it to him the moment it arrives. I am not waiting for Christmas morning! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The year ds was 6, he asked for a real mailbox. He stressed the REAL. That was very important. 😂 So there I was, at Lowe's, buying a mailbox for my 6yo.

It's still in his closet. I think he still stores stuff in there. I have no idea what we will do with it when he no longer wants it!

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

When she was five, I received false eyelashes from my niece. Just for the record, I haven't worn makeup in decades!

When my daughter was four, she asked for a hot water bottle for Christmas. (We had always used ours to pre-heat her bed before she went to sleep.) She was delighted to receive it and used it for years.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

3 of my kids are getting hangers- and I opened them up so those packages are fun to shake!  One kid is getting a fruit cake.  I think I got food for all their stockings!  Half of their gifts are just random household things every year- they never mind, they like getting weird stuff like that wrapped up!

• Like 1

This year my step-father wouldn't tell us what he wants for Christmas.  I asked just before Thanksgiving, when I was doing the family shopping.  My mother was making Thanksgiving dinner, and asked if we would want Brussels Sprouts on turkey-day.  None of us like them, but my step-dad loves them, so I told her to go ahead and make them for him... we don't need any extra veges aside from the regular squash and potatoes that she was already planning.  So, when I asked what he wanted for Christmas, he said that the only thing he wanted was Brussels Sprouts.  So I got him a Brussels Sprouts nutritional label t-shirt, Brussels Sprouts puffs, and a Brussels Sprouts cookbook. 

The year he has prostate cancer I got him a prostate plushy.

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Our ducks are getting dried mealworms.

Dd is getting help paying for her bear rug from the bear she shot this fall. 

Another dd is getting a very short French Baroque violin bow

Another is getting a hunting rifle from her dh. 

Dh got kittens--they came today. 2 Japanese Bobtails

And I'm getting a pistol!

My dh got me a Smith and Wesson 38 special very soon after I graduated from the Immigration Academy that was in place before Homeland Security agency came into being.  THat was 27 years ago.  I have been looking into smaller revolvers and yesterday at Academy Sports, I saw one with a laser pointer on sale.  Then we went to the PX and I wanted to see what they had but my dd2, who was in a really bad and ornery mood, insisted that I do not go over that way because she wanted to go someplace else.  But I have a birthday in Jan so that may be my present then.   
Are you getting a semi automatic or revolver?   I prefer revolvers due to no jamming and easier for me to load (I cannot load clips). 

I am getting frozen mice. Not under the tree of course - more like someone else is buying frozen mice for me. 

I am snake-sitting DD18s corn snake since it was unable to go to college with her this first year.   I am ok feeding , cleaning and even handling the snake, but am squicked out going to the store and selecting perfect frozen mice from the freezer (what if I pick a bad mouse?).  DD asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I asked her to buy enough mice to get Sneaky and I through the spring semester.  

• Like 6

I finally remembered something we received that was kind of in the oddball category! 

A friend from DH's work got us several cans of a much-beloved Brazilian soda that you can only find locally in a few specialty shops. Our boys in particular love it (our youngest calls it "heaven in a can") and it was so thoughtful of her! 

Other than that, we're not really giving or receiving anything weird this year, and while I know there have been some in the past, I can't think of any right now. 

• Like 1

It wasn’t crazy or odd, but I was excited to give them.  We had a family Xmas get together with no gifts, just a small game with presents that my sister got for everyone.  She texted in the morning that heads up, my dad had gifts for me - after I was told we were not exchanging gifts.  I happened to be out anyway, but I live in a rural area and there’s not many choices here without driving a 1/2 hour, which I didn’t have time for. 

We went to a boutique type store for crazy socks for dh to get for work presents.  I decided that crazy socks would have to do.  I happened to spot matching green goat socks which step mom loves that green and loves animals (more than people), so that’s what I got, plus I had a few small things at home already.

So, we are playing the gift game and my dad gets Cmas socks.  He and stepmom were not excited about it.  Then she gets Xmas socks herself.  Definitely not happy about that.  Her socks are stolen so she gets a new gift - another pair of Xmas socks.  I never knew someone would be so disappointed about Xmas socks - I love them and wear them all December. 

So, I’m discouraged that they won’t like their present.  I even tell them they might be disappointed and stepmom guesses why, Xmas socks.  So they open the gifts and they seemed to actually like them and are excited to wear them to yoga.  Stepmom said she just doesn’t like Xmas socks, but does like other socks. 

• Like 2

My dad will be getting a toilet light with motion detector and eight different colors 😄 

I know that dh has sugar glider shirts for me, because he doesn't understand the archive function on Amazon, lol. 

On 12/21/2019 at 2:39 PM, SKL said:

I also bought a couple things for others to wrap for me.  My CD player and financial calculator both went kaput recently, so I'm getting new ones for Christmas!

A new CD player in 2019 doesn't quite qualify as a crazy gift, but it's close!

8 hours ago, katilac said:

A new CD player in 2019 doesn't quite qualify as a crazy gift, but it's close!

Well I was considering the one with the cassette tape player, but my kids have assured me they have one of those!  I have many cassettes that I bought ages ago to learn foreign languages, and my kids now want to use them!

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 8:24 AM, hellen said:

My 9 year old is getting a pull up bar.  She said I should put a medicine ball in her stocking.  She only wanted exercise gear or live animals for Christmas.  A real koala is absolutely out of the question, so I went with exercise stuff.  

We got the kids a pull up bar years ago.  They played on it for years.  My younger kid has had nothing on her wish list besides a live dragon for a long time.  

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

We got the kids a pull up bar years ago.  They played on it for years.  My younger kid has had nothing on her wish list besides a live dragon for a long time.  

We saw an Eastern Water Dragon today :). DD's response was "finally-a wild dragon!"  

• Like 5