Menu

Calling all hair experts

Bensmom2

So I had long naturally wavy (but not nice wavy more frizzy) hair and in Sept when I moved to a super humid climate decided to perm it. (I usually used a curling iron to tame it and the humidity just made it look stringy). Since it is also colored (not ready to embrace my gray), the perm really dried it. After dealing with dry, super tangled hair for the past few months and fearing I was going to go bald just trying to pick through the tangles, I decided to cut it...and perm it again. This new perm is poodle-like and my hair is now chin length. I am not sure what look I was going for but the, “I just put my finger in the light socket” look is not it.  So I need help. I want easy, low maintenance hair that looks good in humidity. I am considering wigs I am so desperate for something to hide my poodle hair. I don’t know if I should try a product to relax it a little or if such a product exists or have it professionally chemically straightened or what😬???  

Read Curly Girl.  That frizz generally means that your hair is curlier than you imagine with proper care.  I'd forget about the perm, give up on shampoo (or use the "no-poo" kind) for a while, get a DEVA cut, and embrace co-washing for a good 4-6 months then reevaluate from there.  Also, Ouidad Heat and Humidity Control Gel is a godsend.  The lighter one has no real hold, so you don't FEEL it, but it erases A LOT of the frizz from your life.  

• Like 2

I am curly and never got into curly Girl. Just no. Everyone I know that tried it, it didn’t do much for them other than to make them look ungroomed. 

Try getting suave professionals mousse “captivating curls” (Target or Walmart.) Smear it through your wet hair and don’t really run your fingers through, but smear it through between flat palms. Scrunch it a bit with a towel and let air dry. Try not to touch it again until it’s more than say, 90% dry, then give it some more scrunches to tossle it. The mousse is the best I’ve found for curly hair, defines the curl with no crunchiness. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

I was wondering why the perm also...  My hair is thick with a wave during part of the year, but the instant I hit humidity...BAM!   It becomes a ball of out-of-control curls and frizz.   When I'm in that climate, I have two choices:  long enough to pull tight behind my ears and into a low ponytail, or cut very short.  If I cut it short, I add a gel and that at least keeps it in place behind my ears.  I think a perm would just make it worse!

I have hair that is wavy and have considered a perm also.  I'm happier with wavy hair but if it gets below my shoulders it doesn't hold the wave well.   I dislike straightening it but it is really my only choice with the current length or curling it with a wand. Gel and air drying or diffusing it is my favorite way but I'm in the mood to grow it longer and it's not working super well to leave it more natural.    I was pondering if a perm would make my life easier. I live in a very dry climate but traveling to humid climates is very challenging.  

On 12/21/2019 at 4:04 PM, SamanthaCarter said:

I am curly and never got into curly Girl. Just no. Everyone I know that tried it, it didn’t do much for them other than to make them look ungroomed. 

Try getting suave professionals mousse “captivating curls” (Target or Walmart.) Smear it through your wet hair and don’t really run your fingers through, but smear it through between flat palms. Scrunch it a bit with a towel and let air dry. Try not to touch it again until it’s more than say, 90% dry, then give it some more scrunches to tossle it. The mousse is the best I’ve found for curly hair, defines the curl with no crunchiness. 

I'm agreeing w/ Samantha. I tried Curly Girl and just ended up looking silly.