Menu

Anyone ever travel solo?

Home'scool

I am thinking I may like to try travelling solo. Now that I am newly divorced I am open to branching out (but not too much!) and trying something new.

I live with my sister and we have always vacationed together, but there are always compromises that have to be made no matter who you travel with. I would like to take a trip that I can do what I want  - which is mostly just relax.

I met my ex when I was 18. Since then I have been part of a couple, and he was the one who called the shots. Now I get to decide.

I don't think I am up for doing a city by myself, plus that is not what I am really looking for. I feel like a quiet, older crowd cruise may have what I want. I picture myself reading on deck, napping, finding a quiet corner to knit, napping again ..... lame, I know, but I basically have never been alone since I was 18 and I would like some time to have peace and quiet and literally do what I please.

Any advice? Would a cruise be the best way to achieve that?

Edited by Home'scool
  • Like 5

I have traveled alone, usually as part of a business trip but sometimes with lots of pleasure mixed in.

While I really did enjoy those days of nobody on my butt for anything, I don't think I would enjoy doing it as a cruise longer than a few days.  I think it would get old being "alone" in a place full of people who aren't "alone."  Does that make sense?   As far as I know, cruises are designed to do things as a group / family / couple.  Having nobody to talk to for a few days or longer would wear on me also.  And connectivity tends to be bad.

I would probably rather do a road trip or a weekend getaway.

• Like 3

While I really did enjoy those days of nobody on my butt for anything, I don't think I would enjoy doing it as a cruise longer than a few days.  I think it would get old being "alone" in a place full of people who aren't "alone."  Does that make sense?   As far as I know, cruises are designed to do things as a group / family / couple.  Having nobody to talk to for a few days or longer would wear on me also.  And connectivity tends to be bad.

^^^ This is one of my worries.

Sometimes I think I should just do a "stay-cation" and make it my own. I live with my sister but in an in-law apartment so I could literally say I need 3 days of just me. But then that might be awkward ..... sigh .... I guess I do have companions ..... Overthinking and Fretting.

• Like 1

I’m with @SKL on the cruise thing, but I still think you should do something other than a staycation. Maybe a beach trip? You can eat, relax, and read in an environment that is fine being alone imo. Lots of people sit alone on a sunny beach reading a book. Morning walks alone on the beach are equally nice. Sounds lovely to me!

Edited by mmasc
Fix typo
  • Like 9

Copy and posting my message without the blog...

I think your idea of a cruise sounds lovely, but wanted you to see what else is out there, and possible.

The lovely thing about cruises and tours, is that other singles and couples are likely to “adopt” you, if you’re open to it. My dad and his gf always come back with stories of who they were seated with at supper, etc. And they often make plans with those people to do tours and activities. 

• Like 2

I tried to take a 'mom only' weekend once and was miserable  LOL   But then, I also had a whole family at home.    

I could see myself when they are all out of the house going on a cruise by myself, but I would definitely start with a short one to make sure it wasn't too much.   I easily make friends when I'm traveling without my spouse but with one of my kids.  

I haven't since my 20s, until this year, and discovered that I really love it! I went camping by a river, just for an overnight. I went on a three day trip to a poetry festival in another city. I went twice to other cities and stayed at friends' houses overnight. This summer I am planning a longer solo road trip, just me, the car, my tent. Not sure where I will go yet.

A cruise would be a nightmare for me - I do not care to be surrounded by hordes of strangers. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

Are you the person who somewhat recently almost didn't go on vacation with your sister because of anxiety?  If so maybe start with a weekend road trip.  If not, sorry for getting you mixed up with someone else.  Or maybe find a local group weekend bus tour to try.  

I actually had the opportunity to travel to a city on a plane alone as a tourist this summer and it was AMAZING!  Highly recommend.

• Like 1

Are you the person who somewhat recently almost didn't go on vacation with your sister because of anxiety?  If so maybe start with a weekend road trip.  If not, sorry for getting you mixed up with someone else.  Or maybe find a local group weekend bus tour to try.  

Yup, that was me! But I am thinking a *quiet* vacation might not make me as anxious. One of the problems I have with traveling with someone is that I don't want to disappoint my travel companion if I decide to take a day slow.

• Thanks 1

I also took some work trips and absolutely loved being on my own. I got to walk everywhere, wander where I wanted to go, take my time shopping, eat exactly what I wanted, and hang out in the hotel by myself watching whatever I wanted without judgment or complaints from anyone else. Two of my favorites were Portland OR and San Fransisco. I was staying downtown both times so I didn't have to fuss with public transportation too much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Home'scool said:

Yup, that was me! But I am thinking a *quiet* vacation might not make me as anxious. One of the problems I have with traveling with someone is that I don't want to disappoint my travel companion if I decide to take a day slow.

Well even so, booking something as prescribed and closed ended as a cruise where you'll be trapped for a certain amount of time might be too much to start.  You were talking about traveling with the sister that lives with you, correct?  I'd find an interesting destination you could spent a night or 2 within 2-3 hours to start. 

• Like 2

You might like to stay at an Airbnb (condo) in Kihea, Maui.  The beaches are wonderful and there is plenty to do within walking distance if you want. Plenty of time to relax, read, snorkel, shop...then if you tire of the area, there are plenty of other nice places to drive to on the island (bus...) and each with it's own distinct micro-climate, so you get a variety...it feels safe to me (leave valuables at home when at the beach...you know, common sense type things). There are plenty of tourists if you want to strike up a conversation, if not, everyone seems to be doing their own thing to relax and enjoying the outdoors.  And you do feel relaxed upon leaving island!

Would you need to fly to get to a cruise?  Or are there local ports?  There are plenty of 3-4 day cruises.  But I’d rather rent a place on a beach with a porch/balcony and a pool, and walking distance to little shops and restaurants.  That would be more relaxing than a small cabin, and feeling stuck.  

Or staying at a B and B in the middle of a cute quiet town.

i hope you take, and enjoy your vacation!

I don't get to much anymore because I usually take either dh or kids or both, but I certainly did often when I was younger, even after dh and I married. I bummed around in Asia for a little while alone and that was fun. But I've also just been to hotels and do a solo me trip kinda thing much closer to home.

I like it. I know some people are intimidated, but I've never fully understood that. My mother won't admit it, but she finds it really scary in some way that she has trouble articulating. That's why she's sort of into things like Road Scholar, where it's mostly older people but it's all planned and they pair you with someone to be a roommate unless you pay for a single. I think something like that could be good. I think a cruise sounds like a nightmare unless you're into cruises.

But also, you can just go and travel and meet people... sometimes it's part of the fun.

Cruises are not for me, too much relentless companionship and activity.  You can't eat alone for any meal.  And you have to get up and dressed and be ready to be social before you even have coffee.  

If I were going somewhere to be alone and relax, I would stay at an inn that had room service, or at least a brunch rather than breakfast.  (IE late morning.)  And I'd bring bottled coffee to drink in my room first thing.  I'd bring several books and some knitting.  Or I'd get a condo with a view, like by Lake Tahoe or something, and with a kitchen, and I'd make one uber trip to the grocery store and stock up.  I'd have books, knitting, and cable TV (which I don't have at home) and totally veg.  Having said that, I've never done this so I must not want to THAT much.  It sounds nice, though.

O

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SusanC said:

Maybe you would be interested in a yarn festival. You could find one That looks interesting and then spend a couple nights in the area, reading, relaxing, knitting, wander the festival as much or as little as you feel like. 

Have you ever been to a yarn festival? There are a few coming up in the next couple of months - Interweave Yarnfest in Loveland CO ; DFW Fiber Fest in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area ; Stitches West in Santa Clara CA

I've never been but have always wanted to!! It looks like it would be so easy to enjoy myself and yet not have to talk to anyone (although talking about knitting would be fun!). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Cruises are not for me, too much relentless companionship and activity.  You can't eat alone for any meal.  And you have to get up and dressed and be ready to be social before you even have coffee.  

I always had my first cup (carafe) delivered via room service...I cannot be social before coffee, even with my own family!! And ate alone (well, as alone as I would be in any restaurant) whenever I wanted when we cruised pre-kids. You could eat on your own balcony at most any time of day too. Maybe things have changed in the last 10 years and you can't do that anymore? That was the great thing about cruising for me...I could be with people and play games or just with DH for a quiet lunch,  or all by myself depending on what I felt like at any given time.

• Like 1

I have done just 1-2 overnights and it was lovely.  One of my favorite was going up to my friends cottage on a nice lake.  I did meet her to walk but most of the time I was just by myself.

I do remember the decision making though as I sat in the car in a parking lot trying to decide where and what I wanted to eat.  I didn't have anyone else to please.  I could chose anywhere I wanted. I ended up chosing little ceasars for one meal and Chinese take out for another.

I suggest just 1-2 days to start if you can and see if you like it. 

I do this once a year, sometimes twice.   I go up to a huge used book store in Niantic Connecticut.  It's about a 3 hour drive for me, I drive up Friday evening and head home Sunday morning.  It's a nice shore community and I usually go off season, either in the Spring or Fall, but I've gone in the Winter too.   It's just a nice break from everything and a chance for me to do something I love - look at and shop for books.    Occasionally I bring my mother or oldest daughter, but I really love to go by myself so I can just do want I want, eat what I want.

Years ago I went to a scrapbooking convention alone.  It was okay, but still on someone else's schedule so I really prefer my book store trips.  

Dh also takes the kids down to visit his parents periodically and I stay home.  A different situation but still time completely to myself.     I think the combination of time away by myself and time to myself at home helped keep me sane when we had young children.   I'm a pretty strong introvert in a small house that was hardly ever quiet.

• Like 2

The absolute most relaxing "vacation" for me is my annual silent retreat in the woods. I meet up with the spiritual advisor once a day, but then all meals are silent (just wonderful food laid out on a buffet). I walk (or snowshoe as it's the beginning of Jan.) where ever I want. If I'm in need of outside people, I just walk into town. It's so affordable, there is no pressure for small talk, and you can sit and read in front of the common fireplace and no one asks you any questions. It's definitely a relax-ation, with no agenda to see sights other that the woods (the spiritual part is an agenda, but it's completely directed by me). 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Yes, I think solo travel is a great experience and, like you, OP, what I love most is making my own agenda, eating where I want, taking all the time I want in a museum (for example), skipping something if the line is too long or it’s out of budget, etc. Truly the thing I most dislike about traveling with others (especially with several other adults) is the constant negotiations of other people’s travel needs and expectations. I tend to be overly accommodating and, if I travel with a bunch of other adults, I don’t get to do what I wanted to do or meant to do because others put a priority on different things. I have become very leery of traveling with other adults unless I know they have similar expectations of travel as I have, because I just don’t want to negotiate endlessly when Friends A, B and C want to go lay on the beach all day drinking umbrella drinks and I alone want to see the Mayan ruins. 

I have never done a cruise solo, but my favorite cruise was on Norwegian (NCL) and was to Alaska. I really love NCL’s itineraries as they spend the maximum time in ports compared to others I examined. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, arctic_bunny said:

I have a family friend who has travelled solo around the world practically my whole life. I feel like she has a blog.... I will PM you if she does.

If it’s not inconvenient, I would love to look at this blog, too. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mmasc said:

I’m with @SKL on the cruise thing, but I still think you should do something other than a staycation. Maybe a beach trip? You can eat, relax, and read in an environment that is fine being alone imo. Lots of people sit alone on a sunny beach reading a book. Morning walks alone on the beach are equally nice. Sounds lovely to me!

I did that before. I am a three-hour drive from the Atlantic. I have piled some books in a bag, driven the three hours, sat on the beach reading for most of the day, ate Thrashers fries, and drove back home at night. It was awesome. More than one person did say, “you drove alone to Ocean City? For the day? And then just read books and came home?” I counter with, “No! I also ate a whole bucket of Thrasher’s fries all by myself!” 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I have done a little solo traveling, not for years though.

Like SKL, sometimes attached to a business trip. I wandered around Boston, Manhattan, Dallas, and a few other places on my  own.

I used to travel alone to a theater festival every year. I'd see plays, eat out, wander around the cute town, read for hours in the park or in my B&B. One year on my way I took a few days at a cabin next to a national park, and spent my days hiking.  

Biggest one was a walking tour in England. That was a group trip, but I spent the first few days on my own in London; saw a few plays, wandered the city, then took the train to Oxford and did the same things there, then another train to meet my group.  That was just an awesome experience.

I have been on a cruise and didn't enjoy it (I was not alone, with my sister).  I did LOVE the walking tour. It was one of those van-supported trip where you just have your day pack to carry each day, luggage is moved to and fro lodgings every day.  The one I did was a mix of ages, though at 30 I was by far the youngest. There were married couples, singles, a couple of pairs of friends.  I did have to follow a set agenda, though, and there was little free time for reading, etc. Didn't have to be chatty all the time while walking, though. This was through the Sierra Club though there are companies that do these as well.  That trip to England was truly life-changing for me;  I was divorced (no kids) and felt very lonely and stuck; that trip made me realize that solo travel could be wonderful.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

Have you ever been to a yarn festival? There are a few coming up in the next couple of months - Interweave Yarnfest in Loveland CO ; DFW Fiber Fest in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area ; Stitches West in Santa Clara CA

I've never been but have always wanted to!! It looks like it would be so easy to enjoy myself and yet not have to talk to anyone (although talking about knitting would be fun!). 

I haven't, but I feel the same as you about the possibility of enjoying myself on my own terms. Sadly, I think I live in a yarn desert. 😄 I'll have to find one that coordinates with other travel, OR make a serious trip out of it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SusanC said:

I haven't, but I feel the same as you about the possibility of enjoying myself on my own terms. Sadly, I think I live in a yarn desert. 😄 I'll have to find one that coordinates with other travel, OR make a serious trip out of it. 

I really doubt that you have a yarn desert.

Those big knitting shows are regional but the weaving ones, which are far more interesting anyway, are everywhere.  If you feel like saying where you live, I’ll bet I could find you something that is semi-local.

• Like 1

I'm headed to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico by myself in February.  I am going to a retreat center, and will be a part of a vocal training workshop (with about 20 other people), but there will be about 50% downtime when I can just wander around the beach area, stay in my beautiful room (which is open air, facing the ocean), go on snorkeling excursions, or go to the pool to socialize. There are also spa services (massage, etc) and yoga classes, if I choose. I am excited, but a little nervous because I've never done anything like this before. 

Do you sing? I think there are still a few spots available.

https://www.totalvocalfreedom.com/2020-winter-workshop-retreat/

• Like 2

I have traveled alone, but was in my 20's.  I think if I traveled alone now I would do something like hike or the Camino de Santiago, which is on my bucketlist of things to do.  Many people do the camino alone, but it's the type of alone where you can have companions if you want too and the hostels are full at night too.

On December 19, 2019 at 11:09 AM, Home'scool said:

I feel like a quiet, older crowd cruise may have what I want. I picture myself reading on deck, napping, finding a quiet corner to knit, napping again ..... lame, I know, but I basically have never been alone since I was 18 and I would like some time to have peace and quiet and literally do what I please.

I took a cruise more or less by myself (with ds and my mother and her dh, but ds played with kids all day and mother/stepfather did their things, meaning I was alone). It kind of has pros and cons. Cons are mostly that almost everyone on the ship seemingly will be with someone. There are singles, but since I'm married, I wasn't really planning to go to the singles events. Now if you want to go, have at it! I'm cruising again this coming year (taking my ds and a single girlfriend), and I'm encouraging my friend to go to those events. I'm actually doing two weeks, so the first week I'll have my friend and the 2nd week it will be just me and ds.

You can have a TON of fun cruising, and it will really be as fun as you make it. As far as ages to get a quiet ship, I don't know. I mean sure, my personality is sorta Holland America (good food, quiet). We ended up on Carnival, and I'm not really sure how it happened. I was buying last minute, couldn't decide, and well Carnival has BBQ. Hahaha, seriously, I picked it for the BBQ! I figured at least ds would have something to eat, since he likes BBQ. What I didn't anticipate was that the people who like BBQ are my people, ie. that I fit in really well. :biggrin:

So now that I've been on a cruise, I get what they meant about the personalities. When they say Carnival is the FUN cruise line, they really mean it. It was just kind of low key, chilled, fun. I could go cry somewhere about being alone and then go have fun again. And lots of people were alone. Like if you just go to a hot tub, someone will be there. It means you can be as alone or social as you *want* to be. Like if you go to an airb&b, you're really alone. But on the cruise ship, people are getting paid to talk to me, kwim? The waiters spend time with you, people in the hot tubs will talk with you. This time I'm booking a spa cabin, so I'm going to hang there every day. I went to the gym every day, so I had people to talk with there.

17 hours ago, matrips said:

There are plenty of 3-4 day cruises.  But I’d rather rent a place on a beach with a porch/balcony and a pool, and walking distance to little shops and restaurants.  That would be more relaxing than a small cabin, and feeling stuck.

So like I said, I'm terribly experienced with my one cruise, haha, but this isn't completely how it is. The shorter cruises, at least with carnival, have a reputation for being drinking parties. Like really sloshed. I booked at the last minute and went with a whole week, because I figured either it would be great fun or a great disaster. The longer cruises tend to be a little more serious, because people are planning on making it the whole week, lol. There are also people who do *back to back* cruises. If you're going to a lot of expense to get to the port (which it is for us), then a back to back cruise (2 weeks) can be worth considering.

Not to point out the obvious, but a cruise *is* a balcony, a pool, a hot tub, restaurants, and shops in walking distance, lol. And as far as relaxing, this was the MOST RELAXING thing I have ever done with my ds. He's very stressful, as he needs significant support/attention/redirection, etc. The cabin steward kept our cabin IMMACULATE, often cleaning it twice a day to deal with ds' bedding. The food was wonderful or at least always plentiful. I had zero worries, and I got to see beautiful things, do beautiful things, and just relax. 

So to me, it wasn't very stuck, but I spent a lot of time moving, kwim? I snorkeled, used the gym, climbed the water slides, hit the adult only area, wandered the ship listening to concerts... The balconies are spacious (I sat out every night for several hours, reading and watching the waves), and the ship itself is big. Now for this coming cruise, I booked an inside cabin for our 2nd week. It was a splurge to do the back to back, so I thought I'd try an inside and just see what happens. It's inside spa, really close to (of course) the spa and the adult only serenity area. I'm worried about it, but I figure we just have to try it and see what happens, lol. It's a good location, and I figure I can go out 30 feet and be at the big area with all the chairs and stuff to watch movies, look at the water, whatever anyway. So it will be different, not bad. Now would I book an interior cabin on deck 2? LOL Probably not. I'm not sure I'm up to that, lol. But I think this on deck 11, right out from all the action, might be fine. We'll see. But if they offer me an upgrade, I'll take it. :biggrin:

I've done on the beach for a week, and I find it really low energy. My dd loved it, but it drove me crazy and was way too stagnant. I like the energy of the people on the cruise ship and that I can be in it or NOT as I please. It was very friendly, very relaxing. And, fwiw, I really like the water slides. Like I think you really have to look at the activities and see what you like. I like the little crafting classes, the water slides, the hot tubs, the spa services. And I think if you go with a ship that is bringing the things you like, you'll probably be in with people you enjoy being with. Me, I don't go to the shows, so going on say Royal Caribbean doesn't make sense. Would I go to the opera on MSC? LOL So look at the entertainment and see what you would use, as that's part of what you're paying for. If I had the $$$$$, I'd enjoy Disney. However I've had to make pax with my ds being scared of characters, meaning a Disney cruise probably isn't smart for us, sigh. 

If you decide to cruise, you might go to the Cruise Critic forums or elsewhere and participate in their cruise specific meet up discussions, etc. Then you'd have some friends and could be as sociable (or un) as you wanted. But really, it's not hard to make friends on the cruise if you want them. The man is in the casino so the woman is in the hot tub, that kind of thing. You won't be the only one.

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Can you tell us where this is? If not, could you PM me?  I’ve been looking into a retreat and this sounds lovely.  

It's in Ontario, Canada. There are several different retreats around the province at different times of the year. The one I used to go on was run by a group of Jesuit priests. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Oh gosh, that would be quite the trek for me!   Glad you found such a nice place!  

You could check local Jesuit institutions or Catholic organizations. Silent retreats are common in the Catholic religion, but they may also be organized by other associations. 

19 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

If this is your thing ,look into the yarn fests.I live 5 minutes from the Dfw Fiber fest,It is a wonderful event.DD and I go every year.Its absolutely the best if you work or want to learn to work with yarn.

DD is a crocheter and she is always the youngest there.The classes are really very well organised and there are 2 hotels right across the convention center.Lots of places to eat as well.You can be alone and enjoy the whole experience. GL

I travel alone to St. Louis for board meetings 6-7 times per year.  These are pretty intense, with programming from an early breakfast to a late dinner.  In 2017 I took a couple of extra days there and made it into a planning retreat.  It was nothing special, but I brought along my computer and some inspirational things to read, and some continuing ed stuff, plus of course knitting and reading.  I had a nice time.

In Oct. I attended a UFO retreat at a local camp.  It was pretty low key—people brought projects to work on, and everyone had the run of the place, meals, a place to sleep, and a well lit table to work on.  I did a bunch of weaving in ends that I always procrastinate because it’s so boring but was nicer with others in the big room working on their own stuff, and I also hiked a round in the redwoods a bit.  It was so fun, the perfect combo of low key comfort and exactly as much company as you chose to experience (or not).  I’d do it again.  It was very cheap, and there were only 6 or 7 of us, so I imagine the camp lost money on it.

7 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I took a cruise more or less by myself (with ds and my mother and her dh, but ds played with kids all day and mother/stepfather did their things, meaning I was alone). It kind of has pros and cons. Cons are mostly that almost everyone on the ship seemingly will be with someone. There are singles, but since I'm married, I wasn't really planning to go to the singles events. Now if you want to go, have at it! I'm cruising again this coming year (taking my ds and a single girlfriend), and I'm encouraging my friend to go to those events. I'm actually doing two weeks, so the first week I'll have my friend and the 2nd week it will be just me and ds.

You can have a TON of fun cruising, and it will really be as fun as you make it. As far as ages to get a quiet ship, I don't know. I mean sure, my personality is sorta Holland America (good food, quiet). We ended up on Carnival, and I'm not really sure how it happened. I was buying last minute, couldn't decide, and well Carnival has BBQ. Hahaha, seriously, I picked it for the BBQ! I figured at least ds would have something to eat, since he likes BBQ. What I didn't anticipate was that the people who like BBQ are my people, ie. that I fit in really well. :biggrin:

So now that I've been on a cruise, I get what they meant about the personalities. When they say Carnival is the FUN cruise line, they really mean it. It was just kind of low key, chilled, fun. I could go cry somewhere about being alone and then go have fun again. And lots of people were alone. Like if you just go to a hot tub, someone will be there. It means you can be as alone or social as you *want* to be. Like if you go to an airb&b, you're really alone. But on the cruise ship, people are getting paid to talk to me, kwim? The waiters spend time with you, people in the hot tubs will talk with you. This time I'm booking a spa cabin, so I'm going to hang there every day. I went to the gym every day, so I had people to talk with there.

So like I said, I'm terribly experienced with my one cruise, haha, but this isn't completely how it is. The shorter cruises, at least with carnival, have a reputation for being drinking parties. Like really sloshed. I booked at the last minute and went with a whole week, because I figured either it would be great fun or a great disaster. The longer cruises tend to be a little more serious, because people are planning on making it the whole week, lol. There are also people who do *back to back* cruises. If you're going to a lot of expense to get to the port (which it is for us), then a back to back cruise (2 weeks) can be worth considering.

Not to point out the obvious, but a cruise *is* a balcony, a pool, a hot tub, restaurants, and shops in walking distance, lol. And as far as relaxing, this was the MOST RELAXING thing I have ever done with my ds. He's very stressful, as he needs significant support/attention/redirection, etc. The cabin steward kept our cabin IMMACULATE, often cleaning it twice a day to deal with ds' bedding. The food was wonderful or at least always plentiful. I had zero worries, and I got to see beautiful things, do beautiful things, and just relax. 

So to me, it wasn't very stuck, but I spent a lot of time moving, kwim? I snorkeled, used the gym, climbed the water slides, hit the adult only area, wandered the ship listening to concerts... The balconies are spacious (I sat out every night for several hours, reading and watching the waves), and the ship itself is big. Now for this coming cruise, I booked an inside cabin for our 2nd week. It was a splurge to do the back to back, so I thought I'd try an inside and just see what happens. It's inside spa, really close to (of course) the spa and the adult only serenity area. I'm worried about it, but I figure we just have to try it and see what happens, lol. It's a good location, and I figure I can go out 30 feet and be at the big area with all the chairs and stuff to watch movies, look at the water, whatever anyway. So it will be different, not bad. Now would I book an interior cabin on deck 2? LOL Probably not. I'm not sure I'm up to that, lol. But I think this on deck 11, right out from all the action, might be fine. We'll see. But if they offer me an upgrade, I'll take it. :biggrin:

I've done on the beach for a week, and I find it really low energy. My dd loved it, but it drove me crazy and was way too stagnant. I like the energy of the people on the cruise ship and that I can be in it or NOT as I please. It was very friendly, very relaxing. And, fwiw, I really like the water slides. Like I think you really have to look at the activities and see what you like. I like the little crafting classes, the water slides, the hot tubs, the spa services. And I think if you go with a ship that is bringing the things you like, you'll probably be in with people you enjoy being with. Me, I don't go to the shows, so going on say Royal Caribbean doesn't make sense. Would I go to the opera on MSC? LOL So look at the entertainment and see what you would use, as that's part of what you're paying for. If I had the $$$$$, I'd enjoy Disney. However I've had to make pax with my ds being scared of characters, meaning a Disney cruise probably isn't smart for us, sigh. 

If you decide to cruise, you might go to the Cruise Critic forums or elsewhere and participate in their cruise specific meet up discussions, etc. Then you'd have some friends and could be as sociable (or un) as you wanted. But really, it's not hard to make friends on the cruise if you want them. The man is in the casino so the woman is in the hot tub, that kind of thing. You won't be the only one.

I’ve been on several cruises but not for a few decades! 😂. So maybe that is why my perspective is off.  Inside bottom level cabins- no balcony.  I wouldn’t want to spend time there. Tiny, tiny cabin with bunks and tiny tiny bathroom.  The meals were at certain times and with certain people, there were a few options for eating meals outside those times at tables they’d set up, but I certainly wouldn’t consider it like being in a little town. main activities were the pool and casino. Plus the evening show and dancing. It fit my 20 year old self, but not what I’d want for a quiet relaxing vacation.  I guess I need to try one again!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, matrips said:

I’ve been on several cruises but not for a few decades! 😂. So maybe that is why my perspective is off.  Inside bottom level cabins- no balcony.  I wouldn’t want to spend time there. Tiny, tiny cabin with bunks and tiny tiny bathroom.  The meals were at certain times and with certain people, there were a few options for eating meals outside those times at tables they’d set up, but I certainly wouldn’t consider it like being in a little town. main activities were the pool and casino. Plus the evening show and dancing. It fit my 20 year old self, but not what I’d want for a quiet relaxing vacation.  I guess I need to try one again!

Yeah, I think the newest boats have a lot more going on. :biggrin:  And think about how you would have made that reservation 20 years ago vs. now. Now you can see everything online, all the room options, the deck plans, youtube tours of the rooms, complete photos. And my deck 11 interior *spa* cabin was only $100 more than booking a deck 2, belly of the beast, interior cabin. It's just you have to book early to find that. And yes, most cruise lines are going to have some kind of flex dining. We did fixed dining with our own private table on the last cruise and this cruise we're down for flex dining. We'll see how that rolls. On this particular ship, the flex dining is the BIGGEST dining room (two floors, really big) and the fixed is the smaller dining room, go figure. And there are lines that do ALL flex dining. 

A line like Carnival will include most things and then have specialty restaurants for a small upcharge. On the ship we're going on next, they'll have an italian restaurant, a seafood shack, a chinese restaurant, sushi, and a steakhouse. And some of these upcharges are pretty modest ($10-15 for adults, $5 for kids). And like in the italian restaurant, you get a sunset view, 4-5 course meal, everything freshly prepared just for you (unlike food in the main dining), and they even SING to you! :biggrin:

Other cruise lines have snazzier entertainment, with broadway quality shows, aqua shows, ice rinks, you name it. Carnival is definitely not the end all there, lol. I don't need all that, as all I want is the sunshine, hot tub, relaxation. I like the buzz of the ship, the little $5 tshirt sales, the craft classes. Apparently I'm easy to please, lol. My friend is sure she'll be bored stiff, so my theory is to wear her out on shore excursions so she will be ready to relax on sea days, haha.

Yeah, I think if you want quiet and relaxing, you'd want to sift through the personalities of the cruise lines and choose carefully. Like they aren't joking when they say Carnival is trying to be FUN. But the demographic on the longer cruises does skew older. Median age was probably late 40s. Lots of people in their 60s/70s and lots of young people and lots of middle aged families. But a different cruise line or cruise length would trend different. 

I also think a cruise is what you make it. We spent a lot of time in the cabin, just hanging, just enjoying the waves. It was very peaceful, quiet, relaxing. 

I married in my 30's, so I did a fair amount of solo vacations and a lot of business travel. I enjoyed it. I'm also single now. 

At this stage of life, I don't think I'd like a cruise. I'm big into my quilting guild and some of them go on quilting cruises, but they sound a bit boozy for my taste. I wouldn't be into the shows either.

I also don't have much money, but in 2020, I'll probably do one in-state business trip for training, a long weekend quilting retreat with my guild, and a ladies' retreat with a Bible teacher that I appreciate. Nothing big.

I'd like to visit family many states away, but it may be awhile before I do that. My college kids want to go back to California, Germany, or a trip with Lukeion. We shall see.   

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

DO IT!

I'd probably start with a cabin, or beach condo to myself for a weekend because its much cheaper than a cruise when I just want to read and knit and think.  Or if you have a hobby, find a convention that centers on that.  Then, you can hide in your room and do your thing or go out and attend workshops or whatever your hobby people do in groups.