Menu

PATOSS test for handwriting

lewelma

My ds has been asked to take a PATOSS test to update his 2016 educational psychology report stating he has dysgraphia. I was told that he would hand write for 20 minutes, take a break, and then type for 20 minutes on any topic he chooses. He would have 2 minutes to plan before each 20 mintues, before they set the timer. He has just finished a report on the Panama Canal, and I asked if he could write on that, and she said yes. 

Then they would compare the results, and if it was clear he can't hand write, then we apply for special assessment conditions for the NZ national exams -- specifically a computer so he can type.  

Can you guys walk me through what my ds should expect.  He is pretty clever and the first thing he said was "can't I just throw the test and hand write really slowly?" Which, of course, yes he can. Plus, he could review his essay so the writing was easier, which she said was ok.  With all these ways to game the test, what are they actually looking for?

Ruth in NZ

We did this test through Te Kura three years ago - not the typing part, just the handwriting. It is really basic. They just looked at words per minute. You can see the actual instructions here, including the cut off for extra time (under 12 wpm for year 11 - my ds tested at 6 wpm and gets time and a half for exams at uni). It is not meant to be something you prepare for beforehand. Just think of a topic and start writing. It is not judging quality, just quantity. So, yeah, take your time.

Edited by kiwi mum
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, kiwi mum said:

We did this test through Te Kura three years ago - not the typing part, just the handwriting. It is really basic. They just looked at words per minute. You can see the actual instructions here, including the cut off for extra time (under 12 wpm for year 11 - my ds tested at 6 wpm and gets time and a half for exams at uni). It is not meant to be something you prepare for beforehand. Just think of a topic and start writing. It is not judging quality, just quantity. So, yeah, take your time.

Excellent. Thanks!  DS is in year 12 and writes 9 words per min.  I'm not sure how many minutes this can be sustained.  Maybe 3 minutes?  Sounds like the test is as easy and obvious as she indicated.  

Forgot to say that ds gets computer use as well as extra time. I'm not sure about NCEA, but uni only allows Word for the computer use so it is useless for maths. Make sure you ask for extra time as well as computer use, maybe even a writer for maths if that would help him. My ds prefers to do it himself but needs the extra time even if using the computer. If fatigue is an issue, another thing you can ask for is only morning exams (or only afternoon exams - whatever suits best) then you are guaranteed only one exam a day. We do only mornings, and it has been really helpful for uni tests scheduled 7-9pm. He just sits it the following morning.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 9:33 AM, kiwi mum said:

Forgot to say that ds gets computer use as well as extra time. I'm not sure about NCEA, but uni only allows Word for the computer use so it is useless for maths. Make sure you ask for extra time as well as computer use, maybe even a writer for maths if that would help him. My ds prefers to do it himself but needs the extra time even if using the computer. If fatigue is an issue, another thing you can ask for is only morning exams (or only afternoon exams - whatever suits best) then you are guaranteed only one exam a day. We do only mornings, and it has been really helpful for uni tests scheduled 7-9pm. He just sits it the following morning.

Wow, this is so helpful. 

DS can write maths because his brain perceives of numbers differently than letters.  But he is still slow. I will ask about the writer and ask about the only one exam a day thing. Very good ideas that I had not thought of.