Menu

Red pick-up truck with a Christmas tree in its bed...a modern old-timey holiday symbol?

unsinkable

For quite a few years now, the red pick-up truck with Christmas tree in the bed has been around the holiday decor trends.

I have it in stamps sets, it is in ornaments, pillows, blankets, signs...etc,.

A few questions:

Do you like it?

(I do like it. But my DH had a red pick-up when I met him. Sigh. Oh, that boy!)

Why do you think it got so popular?

(I think it is it hits a good spot between nostalgia and currently popular, if that makes sense)

What other decor trend have you seen reach peak exposure lately? Or do you predict with explode?

• Like 1

I do like it. It has become very popular in the last few years and I do think it has to do with the popularity of modern farmhouse home decor. 

The other thing I see really picking up this year is gnomes as decor. The more they resemble Santa, the better. 

Both are big improvement over poop emoji, IMO, a trend that seems (thank God) to be waning. 

I made this a couple years ago when I discovered an old red truck in our pile of Hot Wheels: 

385392C5-C306-4EAF-A7F0-F08C028FF305.jpeg

• Like 9

Another version of this that I’ve seen a lot is a red VW beetle with a tree on top I like this one too because I grew up riding and driving a yellow super beetle.

I’ve seen a few Christmas cards that have toddlers in their crazy coupe car with a small tree on top-cute.

Edited by history-fan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Not a fan, but I don’t hate it... just isn’t for me. I don’t like that it’s faux old, invented old, and specifically to seem vintage when it’s not. Sometimes that doesn’t bug me, but it doesn’t work for me for this.

But it is pretty easy to date a pickup, at least by decade or so, hahaha. Most of the images I see are 1950s-1970s pickups...so not faux old. 

1 hour ago, unsinkable said:

But it is pretty easy to date a pickup, at least by decade or so, hahaha. Most of the images I see are 1950s-1970s pickups...so not faux old. 

Haha. I just meant it's an older pickup but the whole symbol is brand new to the last few years.

• Like 1

About 3 years ago there was a Hallmark Christmas movie featuring that truck.  I'm blanking on the name of it, It was called Christmas in Evergreen.  It has been one of their biggest hits.  About a vet from New Hampshire with a truck like that. There was a part two and part three last year and this year, featuring the same town and truck but focusing on different romances.  I think the truck stuff in general started happening last year because the movie was so popular.  And this year it's everywhere.

• Like 1