Menu

Books: which are you giving this holiday season? which would you like to receive?

Kareni

I love books!

Giving ~

To a one year old great-niece:

Mouse Count by Ellen Stoll Walsh

Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh

To a twelve year old great-nephew:

Math For Kids and Other People Too! by Theoni Pappas

Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher,

To my brother-in-law:

Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883 by Simon Winchester

Junius and Albert's Adventures in the Confederacy: A Civil War Odyssey by Peter Carlson

Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard

The Pioneer Woman Cooks: The New Frontier by Ree Drummond

To my sister:

The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story by Douglas Preston

The Pillars of the Earth: A Novel by Ken Follett

To my adult daughter:

The Cloud Road (Wells)

City of Ghosts (Schwab)

Between Homes (The City Between Book 5) (Gingell)

Death Prefers Blondes (Roehrig)

Half Bad (Green)

The Priory of the Orange Tree (Shannon)

Memory Called Empire (Arkady Martine)

Mask of Shadows (Linsey Miller)

To my husband:

Rocket Men: The Daring Odyssey of Apollo 8 and the Astronauts Who Made Man's First Journey to the Moon by Robert Kurson

The Rain Wilds Chronicles: Dragon Keeper, Dragon Haven, City of Dragons, and Blood of Dragons by Robin Hobb

Reflection on the Psalms by C.S. Lewis

Some books I'd like to receive:

Headliners (London Celebrities Book 5) by Lucy Parker ,

The Best Thing by Mariana Zapata

Bone Rider by J. Fally

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I am giving several board books to my niece (who turns 2 shortly after Christmas).

The Monster at the End of This Book

You are My Sunshine

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

All Things Bright and Beautiful

Bible Stories for Children

What a Wonderful World

• Like 5

To DH:

• Symbol or Substance?: A Dialogue on the Eucharist with C.S. Lewis, Peter Kreeft
  • The Complete Stories, Flannery O'Connor

to DS24:

• Supermarket, Bobby Hall
  • Rick & Morty vs Dungeons & Dragons, Rothfuss

to DS10:

• Kane Chronicles (box set), Rick Riordan
  • Mission Python: Code a Space Adventure Game!, Sean McManus

to DS7:

• Python for Kids: A Playful Introduction to Programming,  Jason Briggs
  • 5,000 Awesome Facts (About Everything), National Geographic

to DS5:

• National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Science, National Geographic
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (illustrated ed), JK Rowling
  • The Goblet of Fire (illustrated ed), JK Rowling

to DS3:

• ABCs of Engineering, Chris Ferrie
  • ABCs of Science, Chris Ferrie
  • ABCs of Mathematics, Chris Ferrie

• Like 7

To my DS9: the new Dog Man and the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid

sadly, that’s all I’m giving this year. But I bought myself the new one by TE Kinsey: Death Beside the Seaside. I’ve read all of them so far and just love them! https://smile.amazon.com/Death-Beside-Seaside-Hardcastle-Mystery-ebook/dp/B07T69XG4N/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=death+beside+the+seaside&qid=1576716763&sprefix=death+beside&sr=8-1

and I’m getting this one too I think. It’s out of my normal genre, but it looked intriguing. Anyone here read it by chance and want to say if they liked it or not? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/0399590501/?coliid=IKKPP01TQKFYY&colid=1SFWQHUIAX2A9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I’ve bought book 2 of the Vanderbeekers series to read aloud to the kids after Christmas break. We all really enjoyed book 1  https://smile.amazon.com/Vanderbeekers-Hidden-Garden-Karina-Glaser/dp/0358117348/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=vanderbeekers&qid=1576716961&sr=8-4

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mmasc said:

I’ve bought book 2 of the Vanderbeekers series to read aloud to the kids after Christmas break. We all really enjoyed book 1

Oh! Book one had me WEEPING, towards the end, every time I picked it up to read aloud. I cried a bit at the end of book 3, as well. I had borrowed the first two from the library, but bought all 3 to keep when the last came out. I look forward to reading them out loud again!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

Oh! Book one had me WEEPING, towards the end, every time I picked it up to read aloud. I cried a bit at the end of book 3, as well. I had borrowed the first two from the library, but bought all 3 to keep when the last came out. I look forward to reading them out loud again!

Me too! So, so good. I’m thrilled my kids want to hear the next one!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, mmasc said:

and I’m getting this one too I think. It’s out of my normal genre, but it looked intriguing. Anyone here read it by chance and want to say if they liked it or not? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/0399590501/?coliid=IKKPP01TQKFYY&colid=1SFWQHUIAX2A9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I've read Educated. It's an interesting read, but it has some dark content.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To my office Secret Santa: Wilde Lake by Laura Lippman

To my Mom: Kindness and Wonder: Why Mister Rogers Matters Now More than Ever by Gavin Edwards 

To my Dad: The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West by David McCullough 

To my husband: Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking by Samin Nosrat 

To my 16 year old: Math with Bad Drawings by Ben Orlin and Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephan Dunbar

To my 13 year old: The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek by Rhett McLaughlin and Link Neal

To my 10 year old: Guts by Raina Telgemeier and Best Friends by Shannon Hale 

I don’t have any specific books I hope to get. I did get a gift card from a local bookstore from the nurses at my office which is about the best present ever. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Can you link the thread on Educated? A search on a homeschooling board turns up quite a bit  lol

Here are two from 2018:

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/670352-anyone-read-the-memoir-educated-by-tara-w-want-to-discuss-i’m-bothered-about-some-things/

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/671345-educated-by-tara-westover/?ct=1576768747

• Like 2

My younger daughter is getting two Chi's Sweet Home anthologies, as well as the first 8 in the Middle School: the Worst Years of my Life series. She also got a book of collected fan art based on a video game (Undertale). 

Older DD got about 8 how-to-draw anime/chibi/kawaii books. She also got a Splatoon Art Book (video game art) and an art book for Spider-Man: into the Spiderverse  

My nieces are getting a book on insects. 

I'm getting the 4th illustrated Harry Potter. 

• Like 3

My DS24 is getting the two latest Bernard Cornwall books—Sword of Kings and War of the Wolves. 
DS18 is getting The Feather Thief. 
DD15 is getting a gluten free cookbook and Alice in Wonderland. 
DS13 is getting The Tornado and Ghost Boys. 
DH is getting Fit Men Cook. 
My dad is getting Grocery the Buying and Selling of Food in America.

My mom and sister-in-law are getting Every Word: A Reader’s 90 Day Guide to the Bible. 

My neighbor kids are getting Red and Lulu, and A Zoo for Mr. Muster. 

Our accompanist at my school’s new baby is getting Hippos Go Berserk, The Snowy Day, Don’t Let Pigeon Drive the Bus, The Very Lonely Firefly, and The Mysterious Star. 

• Like 4

Not for Christmas, but for my birthday just before, I asked for and was gifted a subscription to Archipelago books for 2020. I'm excited about that!

For dd 17, I got Cyborg Detective and The Labyrinth's Archivist. She's also getting the Neil Gaiman creative writing masterclass.

For dd13, I got Greta Thunberg's autobiography, a Thai cookbook, and the box set of Magnus Chase books.

For dh, I got All About Trout by John Holt. Not the homeschooling John Holt, a different guy . . .

• Like 5

Husband: Every title by Ivy Compton-Burnett in reasonable condition that I can get my hands on and that he doesn't already own, all of which are out of print. Google Fu!

Great Girl: various science fiction choices

Middle Girl: Bolchazy-Carducci had a great Cyber Monday sale, and she picked out several titles: The Latin Epic Reader, Roman Verse Satire: Lucretius to Juvenal, and Res Gestae Divi Augusti. Felicem natalem Christi!

Wee Girl: Lots of NYRB Children's Collection books. Every choice a winner.

Me: Perhaps someone will notice my deperate need for the Library of America editions of Henry James's novels that I haven't been able to find second-hand ... if they've been paying attention.

ETA: Middle Girl just had her birthday and got more readable titles then. We're not that hardcore.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 4

On 12/18/2019 at 4:59 PM, mmasc said:

I read it. It was a very compelling and well-written book. I wouldn’t say it was always easy or enjoyable to read, but I am glad I read it.

• Like 2

For hubby, I got Mike Rowe's The Way I heard It and Gregory Freeman's The Forgotten 500  and James  Ted Bell's The Time Pirate and a Star Wars novel, Last Shot: Hans and Lando by Daniel Jose Older.   I got a couple for myself and will go under the tree as from Santa and from each of my fur babies.  😀   Deborah Crombie's A Share in Death  and  Patricia Briggs Dragon Bones.

Some books I'd like to receive are Karen Hawkin's The Book Charmer and Sena Jeter Naslund's Adam and Eve

• Like 3

Everyone in my family reads on their Kindles, so there is only one physical book being given: The Uses of 'One' in Old and Early Middle English.

Books don't appear on anyone's wish lists. We all still read a ton of books, but they are so easy and inexpensive to get when we want them, that books are no longer priorities on our wish lists. Instant gratification likely explains this ... we are willing to wait for our turn for a digital library book, but that's probably because we are in "so many good books, so little time" mode. Kindle Unlimited has expanded our lists of favorite authors, and those books are "free". So waiting for a favorite book by an author whose books we have loved for decades is not a hardship.

We are also in the process of decreasing our possessions to those we need, use, and love. Becoming a minimalist is an interesting process. We each have one 36" wide bookcase in our bedrooms, and one in the living room. I'm sure many of you understand how that was a difficult exercise in paring down! Every bit of wall space we had available was formerly covered with bookcases.

Mind you, we have only adult children. Their favorite childhood books take up space in their bookcases, and mine. If we had young children, I'd still be in physical book mode for them... for as long as I could get away with it.

Edited by Pickle Dust
  • Like 2

To my nieces: Bears’ great invasion of Sicily and The Spider’s Palace and 25 Women who thought of it first (the first two used because out of print).

to Dh:  Capital in the 21st  century. Wanted to get the new one because Piketty says it’s a better one 😉 but it’s not translated yet, I guess February.

to DS: Good Poems for Hard times (there’s no hard times in his life, this is a bit of a gag gift) 😂 and Range.

to DD: Where on Earth Atlas and Tiny Creatures.

ETA that I’m currently obsessed with Charlotte Corday, and I want someone to research and get me THE book, in English, on her.  Besides asking DH whether he plays the videogame which uses her as a character no one knows of my obsession though so I have this to look forward to in the new year 😂

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

One son is getting The Dry Grass of Autumn, his request since the author spoke at a Boy Scout function.   He is also getting Warriors Broken Code #1 Lost Stars for old time's sake.  I think he had read all of the Warrior's series.  Why stop now, even though he is 17? 😀

My other son is getting the first two books in Brandon Mull's Dragonwatch series.

My husband is getting a set of bar books, The Spirits Collection

• Like 3

I bought myself a cookbook- Run Fast, Cook Fast, Eat Slow

For ds 15- The Illustrated ARt of Manliness

dd12- Squirm - Hiassen (she is a huge fan of his)

dd10- Camp (graphic novel)

dd5-Izzy and Emmie (graphic novel)

No book for dh b/c he is knee deep in college work and if he does have time to listen to a book he already has a series he is so far into that he will be listening to for many months (Wheel of Time- he is on his second go through)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pickle Dust said:

The Uses of 'One' in Old and Early Middle English

I so want that book. What is it, one of those monographs that only half a dozen people are going to read, but it's crucial for the dissertations of all six of them? Must look it up.

The book Middle Girl really wanted this year is Allusion and Intertext: Dynamics of Appropriation in Roman Poetry. Which is in the above category, and all I can find is a used copy for $25. So I guess we're going for that as a Twelfth Night gift.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Bears’ great invasion of Sicily and The Spider’s Palace

Yes! Get to those girls early. And speaking of OOP children's books, your mentioning Charlotte Corday made me think of Bellerophon's Paper Dolls of the French Revolution, which I would love to get my hands on. They do feature Corday in their Infamous Women Paper Dolls, still in print.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

I so want that book. What is it, one of those monographs that only half a dozen people are going to read, but it's crucial for the dissertations of all six of them? Must look it up.

I bought it on Amazon. All I know about it is that DS wants it. He is fluent in Old English (reads, writes, speaks). The author is Matti Rissanen, and the book was his Ph.D. thesis according to Wikipedia.  Amazon currently has no copies of this book.

I wanted to get DS  a time machine to go back into the past (like in Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St. Mary's series). Alas, Amazon was fresh out of time machines. Still, it would have been a great experience to go with the book.

Edited by Pickle Dust
added info about book
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Yes! Get to those girls early. And speaking of OOP children's books, your mentioning Charlotte Corday made me think of Bellerophon's Paper Dolls of the French Revolution, which I would love to get my hands on. They do feature Corday in their Infamous Women Paper Dolls, still in print.

Oh look at that, looks like the kids got me another gift. I need to hire you as my book consultant 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1