Menu

Pioneer Woman’s Lasagna Recipe

Mom0012

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/the_best_lasagn/

Has anyone tried this recipe? I always make lasagna on Christmas Eve and I’d like to try something new. The things that are making me question this recipe is the HOT breakfast sausage and the cottage cheese. Is the breakfast sausage going to make the lasagna really spicy? I’ve never had that kind of sausage. And I usually use ricotta in my lasagna and cottage cheese just seems kind of a yucky substitute.

I’d love to hear thoughts on this recipe, especially if you’ve tried it!  Thanks!

That looks amazing. Cottage cheese is a normal sub people use because it's inexpensive and the cheese will mellow out the sausage. I would use medium sausage because I gave birth to a princess and you can sub any cheese you'd like to if you're uncomfortable, but I think it looks fantastic.

• Like 1

I made it years ago, until I got tired of making lasagna because it made such a mess (the noodles put it over the edge--another big pan, the tongs, the draining on towels).  I used regular bulk Italian or medium sausage.  I despise cottage cheese, but it's completely fine in this recipe.  The final product was good, and I am not even (as you can probably tell) a big lasagna fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mom0012 said:

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/the_best_lasagn/

Has anyone tried this recipe? I always make lasagna on Christmas Eve and I’d like to try something new. The things that are making me question this recipe is the HOT breakfast sausage and the cottage cheese. Is the breakfast sausage going to make the lasagna really spicy? I’ve never had that kind of sausage. And I usually use ricotta in my lasagna and cottage cheese just seems kind of a yucky substitute.

I’d love to hear thoughts on this recipe, especially if you’ve tried it!  Thanks!

Cottage cheese melts creamier than ricotta and never has that dry/chalky texture that ricotta can have.  (i'm not saying when I use ricotta that it IS dry and chalky, I'm just saying that compared to cottage cheese it can have these qualities.) It becomes Not cottage cheese in a baked pasta dish.  It's just creamy and neutral and has a nice melt-without-melting away.  You've probably eaten it in dishes and never registered that it was there.  

Hot breakfast sausage won't make a dish hot.  Think of it as making the dish more flavorful, like you've added more spices.  Unless you have zero tolerance for any kind of spicy heat in a dish, you probably won't think it makes a whole lasagna hot.  It just perks up the flavor.  That said, I've never used breakfast sausage in lasagna, but I have used  hot Italian sausage and it makes a very positive flavor difference over medium or mild.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, plansrme said:

I made it years ago, until I got tired of making lasagna because it made such a mess (the noodles put it over the edge--another big pan, the tongs, the draining on towels).  I used regular bulk Italian or medium sausage.  I despise cottage cheese, but it's completely fine in this recipe.  The final product was good, and I am not even (as you can probably tell) a big lasagna fan.

I switched to no-bake noodles.  It's such a game changer that I sometimes make it on a weeknight.  Wegmans has square noodles that are just the right size for a square pan.  With jarred sauce and pre-shredded cheese, it goes together FAST.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cindy in FL. said:

I haven’t tried that recipe, but I found a different one a year or so ago that is an absolute favorite of everyone that’s tasted it. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23600/worlds-best-lasagna/

This one looks good too and might be a good compromise since it includes sausage but uses ricotta.

Do you use canned Parmesan cheese or the fresh stuff in this recipe where it calls for “grated Parmesan”?

Thanks for all the comments/ideas. I’m still not sure what I’m going to do. I don’t even eat the lasagna. But, I don’t want to disappoint everyone else by making something they won’t enjoy. I doubt I can go too wrong with Ree’s recipe or that Allrecipes one. I will watch the video posted later. I have to run out now, but thanks again!

https://pin.it/kwin2bgobsziww

This is the recipe I use but I add a ricotta layer to it. My family would revolt without it. Also, they do not know it has no mozzarella. They just think I cut back like I have when I make pizza.

2007 Pawhuska probably wasn’t an easy place to readily find ricotta. I’ve use cottage cheese- my mom used it when we were kids probably due to it being cheaper than ricotta.  But now that ricotta is easy to find I use it instead. Ree’s cheese filling is too liquidy. 
No bake or fresh pasta sheets (you don’t boil those, either) are way better than the thick noodles that you boil. 

My husband made the pioneer woman lasagna recipe for my birthday years ago. It was really good but I don't think he used spicy sausage, just regular sausage that we like.

I will admit that before I was we identified tomato as one of my biggest food allergens, we would have Stouffer's lasagna about once a month during the winter. So that is the taste and texture we prefer. Unrefined and totally American? Probably. But that's what we like so that's what I aim for when I make tomato free lasagna for us now.

I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta. I tried several different brands of ricotta before conceding that we just prefer the texture and taste of cottage cheese in lasagna. I definitely think that you could substitute one for the other in any lasagna recipe based on your families preferences.

I rarely use sausage in lasagna. Yes it adds a wonderful flavor but it just isn't something I keep around. I usually use just ground beef with whatever Italian herbs strike my fancy at the time I'm making the sauce.

I use no cook noodles because my family prefers the firmer texture they provide. Whenever I've used cooked noodles, they are almost soggy textured by the time the lasagna's done. It could just be something I'm doing wrong but we like the no cook noodles so that's what I use. Again, I think you could use either in any recipe and it would be fine.

Of course, my lasagna has no tomatoes so my lasagna is never going to be exactly like tomato-based lasagna but plenty of people have eaten my lasagna and been shocked to learn that there was not any tomato in it.

Now I've got a craving for skillet lasagna. Too late in the day to start regular lasagna lol. Guess I know what is for dinner now lol.

17 minutes ago, Mom0012 said:

This one looks good too and might be a good compromise since it includes sausage but uses ricotta.

Do you use canned Parmesan cheese or the fresh stuff in this recipe where it calls for “grated Parmesan”?

I use canned, and I use Jimmy Dean Italian sausage.

4 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I think you are right.  But the cottage cheese wasn't awful.  It also was NOT low-fat cottage cheese.  :0)

Yes, do not use low fat cottage cheese in lasagna! Use full fat or whole milk or 4% cottage cheese! Lasagna is not suppose to be healthy lol! It is suppose to be ooey gooey delicious and full of calories that can be written off because it is comfort food lol!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I grew up with cottage cheese lasagna. Now I have a kid that hates cottage cheese AND ricotta! So I make a lasagna that is just TONS of mozzarella. 😋

My family: Not fans of either, either!

Stuffed shells make them gag! It is just way too much ricotta in a flabby dough pocket. LOL

I have a relative that makes them and the fam dreads those meals.

I’ve used spicy sausage with hamburger when making lasagna for adults. If I’m making a meal for someone, I use just hamburger. I prefer ricotta although I’ve used cottage cheese too. To make things even easier, I use Ragu instead of doing the canned tomatoes and paste. 

1 hour ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I prefer a good ricotta over cottage cheese. The latter seems to just sort of melt and disappear into it, while ricotta holds better and tastes better. I rarely eat meat, so this comes as no surprise.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/09/17/761682926/usda-changes-rules-overseeing-how-pork-is-produced

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1097676

get ready for more toenails, poops, and bits of bladder in your pork!

Well, we have pretty much re-entered Upton Sinclair's The Jungle territory...

I'm throwing this recipe into the mix.  We love it and it always gets rave reviews.  However I do add a bit more garlic as we love garlic and reduce the amount of ricotta filling as dh doesn't care for it.  I however love it.  Along with shredded mozzarella, I also include one layer of fresh mozzarella.

https://thestayathomechef.com/amazing-lasagna-recipe

Edited by istillluvpink

Not this, but I make baked ziti with cottage cheese and it takes on a mild mozzarella flavor when heated. I still prefer the nutty taste of ricotta in lasagna (I will actually eat ricotta by the tub full if not supervised), but cottage cheese is nothing to fear.

I would much rather have italian sausage than breakfast sausage in my lasagna.

• Like 1

I've made it many times, except I put extra water in the sauce, don't precook the noodles, and I use tinkyada gluten free noodles.  I also increase the spices, especially parsley.

It's excellent.  A relative who hates cottage cheese and spicy things ate 4 servings in one sitting and said it was the best thing he'd ever eaten.  He couldn't believe it was gluten free.

It is better with the hot breakfast sausage.  All that fat cools the taste.

I've made it with the classic italian mix of meats too, and it wasn't as good.

4 hours ago, vmsurbat1 said:

How about a more classic Italian-style lasagna which doesn't actually use either ricotta or cottage cheese?  I make one similar to this:

Italian Style Lasagna and always use no-boil noodles. 

Ooh, I think I will try this!  I am one of those that can't stand ricotta (texture or taste), so I rarely if ever make lasagna.  Reading through this thread has made me wonder if maybe I'd like cottage cheese better (as long it tastes different than uncooked cottage cheese, lol), but now I'm thinking this may be the answer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFwife Claire said:

Ooh, I think I will try this!  I am one of those that can't stand ricotta (texture or taste), so I rarely if ever make lasagna.  Reading through this thread has made me wonder if maybe I'd like cottage cheese better (as long it tastes different than uncooked cottage cheese, lol), but now I'm thinking this may be the answer!

My youngest ds is weird and hates uncooked cottage cheese too lol! But he loves lasagna when I make it and doesn't even notice the cottage cheese. Like some else mentioned if you really don't like cottage cheese or ricotta cheese at all, you can just leave it out altogether.

I put a couple of cloves of minced or pressed garlic, a teaspoon of Italian seasoning and a quarter cup of grated parmesan (not the powdered stuff in the can, the stuff in the refrigerated section with the other cheeses, I get it pre-grated) in the cottage cheese and let those flavors meld for a few hours before making lasagna before I add the cottage cheese to the lasagna.My meat and sauce are the exact same recipe I use to make no-mato spaghetti sauce. Then it is just layering sauce, noodles, cottage cheese mixture and mozzarella or Italian blend cheese in the baking pan. I follow the baking directions on the no cook noodle box since everything else in the pan is cooked already. Usually it is something along the lines of, add a 1/2 cup of water to the pan to help the noodles cook, cover the pan with foil or put a lid on it, bake at 350 or so for an hour then remove the lid or foil and bake until the cheese is melted and browned. 

8 hours ago, AFwife Claire said:

If you do, you'll be preparing the family to enjoy lasagna when they make it over to Italy in the future.... 😉

I haven't tried this specific recipe, but I always use cottage cheese instead of ricotta in my lasagna. It's preferable for me to have the cottage cheese frozen first and I discovered that completely by accident. I had purchased some but didn't use it by the expiration date, so I threw it in the freezer and later thawed it to use for lasagna. I prefer both the taste and the texture that way. Ricotta gets a little heavy imo. I mix the cottage cheese with one or two eggs (depending on how big of a recipe I'm making) and then add some grated mozarella and some basil. Never going back to ricotta.

I just remembered I have subbed sour cream for ricotta in stuffed shells and they were delicious.

1 minute ago, mom@shiloh said:

I haven't tried this specific recipe, but I always use cottage cheese instead of ricotta in my lasagna. It's preferable for me to have the cottage cheese frozen first and I discovered that completely by accident. I had purchased some but didn't use it by the expiration date, so I threw it in the freezer and later thawed it to use for lasagna. I prefer both the taste and the texture that way. Ricotta gets a little heavy imo. I mix the cottage cheese with one or two eggs (depending on how big of a recipe I'm making) and then add some grated mozarella and some basil. Never going back to ricotta.

I have to know....how does the texture change.  Does it breaks the curds down.  I blend my cottage cheese before adding it because I don't like the look of the curds.  But, if freezing it breaks it down I will have to try!!!

I grew up with cottage cheese lasagna. Now, we use whichever we have in the house. I'm not sure if the kids could tell you which one is being used--they don't really notice.

But my lasagna is low fuss & y'all would be horrified. No separate meat, jarred sauce, simple & quick.

dh developed his own lasagna recipe about 40 years ago.  I wish he'd stop putting hard boiled eggs in it . . . . 

if you want something different - try pastitchio.  (greek cooking for the American kitchen) "greek lasagna".  I prefer it to Italian.  It uses macaroni (Supposed to use straight - I use elbow, just less.), with Greek spices.  and lots of eggs, and butter, and parmesan. yum.

On 12/18/2019 at 9:43 AM, Mom0012 said:

HOT breakfast sausage and

the cottage cheese. I

h

cottage cheese or ricotta is fairly typical in most lasagna recipes.  the real difference seems to be the size of the curds.

Edited by gardenmom5

7 hours ago, LuvToRead said:

I just remembered I have subbed sour cream for ricotta in stuffed shells and they were delicious.

I have to know....how does the texture change.  Does it breaks the curds down.  I blend my cottage cheese before adding it because I don't like the look of the curds.  But, if freezing it breaks it down I will have to try!!!

Yes. Freezing it makes it creamier and breaks down the curds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

hot Italian sausage is Chorizo

In my experience, hot Italian sausage is NOT the same as chorizo.  Hot Italian sausage should have a flavor profile including  red chili flakes, garlic, oregano, and fennel.  Chorizo is used in Mexican food (at least in So. Cal) and has red chile powder (Like ancho) and cumin (as well as garlic and other spices).    I think both are delicious but wouldn't presume to substitute one for the other.  YMMV.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, vmsurbat1 said:

In my experience, hot Italian sausage is NOT the same as chorizo.  Hot Italian sausage should have a flavor profile including  red chili flakes, garlic, oregano, and fennel.  Chorizo is used in Mexican food (at least in So. Cal) and has red chile powder (Like ancho) and cumin (as well as garlic and other spices).    I think both are delicious but wouldn't presume to substitute one for the other.  YMMV.

I got them confused.  I'm not a fan of chorizo - I just remember dh has used it in some recipes.

The hot breakfast sausage was awful; I found it inedible. I should have gone with my gut on that! And I like so many of her old recipes!

My mom used to make lasagna with cottage cheese instead of ricotta becuase of the cost. Ricotta seems more price-friendly these days. I never considered the difference in lasagna, but an earlier poster was right, the ricotta can get dried out.

Thank you for your post--I've been looking at lasagna recipes ever since, and I'm figuring out when I can make it between Christmas and New Year's!

Well, I just found our Christmas Eve lasagna recipe.  I haven't made this before, but it looks good, and I think I can add a small pan using zucchini noodles just for me.  I also made the mistake of looking at her sweet rolls recipe.  My uninspired dh said it looked like it would be easier to just pop open a can of Pillsbury.  Sigh...

Edited by readinmom
spelling

On 12/18/2019 at 1:25 PM, Cindy in FL. said:

I haven’t tried that recipe, but I found a different one a year or so ago that is an absolute favorite of everyone that’s tasted it. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23600/worlds-best-lasagna/

I went with this recipe and it was a big hit with everyone. My sister even loved it and she is very particular when it comes to food. Thanks!

• Like 1

I can't eat lasagna made with cottage cheese, and yes I can tell. Then again, I can eat (good) ricotta off a spoon. Good ricotta is not gritty. 

Also, I can't imagine using breakfast sausage in lasagna or any Italian dish. The spices are different and would give it a totally different flavor. There's a reason I don't like Ree's recipes. This is just one example.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1