Menu

Raddish kids worth it? (the cooking subscription)

ktgrok

My parents give us money to spend for them on the kids each year for the holidays and I'm thinking about the Raddish Kids subscription. I only today realized they have gluten free  modifications - I'd assumed we couldn't do it due to son's Celiac diagnosis. So, now that we can, I'm wondering if it is worth it? A year's subscription would be $200 with the coupon code that expires tonight. That covers one kid, including an apron and then a cooking utensil and a patch to put on the apron each month. They have a sibling kit for $5 a month that includes an extra utensil and patch. If I do that for the other two kids, thats another $120! So that's $320 for the three of them, plus another $30 if I got each sibling their own apron at $15 each. Which is within Grandma's budget, but I'm wondering if it is actually worth it? My DD has really gotten into cooking lately, and it has been great for her reading and her confidence. And DS needs to eat better so having him involved in cooking may help. And we are going to be unschooling(ish) for history/social studies/science the rest of the year, so this would add in some fun learning from what I can tell, as far the extra stuff about holidays/countries/science/etc. 

So - good idea? Or no?

Also, they have a preschooler version that is a set of 3 placemats with recipes and pictures on them, those are $20 but my thought is that the preschooler would still want to "help" with the big kid recipe anyway, and want the patch and whatever so no real point to doing that. 

Or would I be better off getting some Hello Fresh or Blue Apron meals delivered instead? They seem to like the subscription box idea - the only thing I don't like is the idea of 3 new utensils in  my house every month! I just decluttered the kitchen! And I already ordered DD9 a new apron with cute cats on it. 

Hmm....maybe this isn't a great idea. 

Edited by Ktgrok

Yeah, I'm realizing I could just donate the extra utensils if the kids don't want them - it's the patch I think they would want. But yeah, maybe just one apron and it is the "family" apron that we put the patches on, or even on a dishtowel or something. I don't think we need the extra stuff, and if we do I can add that on at $10 each on my own later....hmm.....

I do think I could say "who wants to wear the Raddish apron" and them not have to have their own. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Yeah, I'm realizing I could just donate the extra utensils if the kids don't want them - it's the patch I think they would want. But yeah, maybe just one apron and it is the "family" apron that we put the patches on, or even on a dishtowel or something. I don't think we need the extra stuff, and if we do I can add that on at $10 each on my own later....hmm.....

I do think I could say "who wants to wear the Raddish apron" and them not have to have their own. 

We actually have two other aprons already and I'm pretty sure my son would rather wear a more manly apron. You could make other aprons if the kids want aprons.

Hmm, just found KidStir and they are much cheaper, and no patches/apron to fight over, lol. Just things like a whisk, pot holder, etc that they can share. And it says that as of this month they will have gluten free modifications of all recipes on the website same as Raddish kids. This might be the better option! 

Just now, Ktgrok said:

Ugh - never mind on KidStir - it does not get good reviews. Raddish kids does, although everyone agrees it is a bit overpriced. You certainly could print out all that for free or cheaper, but WILL I? lol, sometimes you are paying for initiative 🙂

Between Raddish and Kidstir I like Raddish better. (Esp for the kind of food it gets) But we LOVE AMerica's Test Kitchen so the Young Chefs Club https://www.americastestkitchen.com/kids/grownups  may be a easier sell with my husband.

I really like that raddish also deliberately teaches kitchen skills.

8 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Between Raddish and Kidstir I like Raddish better. (Esp for the kind of food it gets) But we LOVE AMerica's Test Kitchen so the Young Chefs Club https://www.americastestkitchen.com/kids/grownups  may be a easier sell with my husband.

I really like that raddish also deliberately teaches kitchen skills.

Yes - the deliberate teaching of skills is one reason I want to do it. I'll check the America's Test kitchen one to see if they have gluten free modifications available. 

What if you got one set, got each kid an apron that they would like, and put the badges on a wall hanging, like this? https://www.amazon.com/Enamel-Pin-Wall-Display-Banner/dp/B07J29RZXF/ref=pd_sbs_193_t_1/143-4942015-7576208?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07JDLYG7M&pd_rd_r=3fc9df80-a7b0-48b5-afc4-10b640b065a1&pd_rd_w=JnvuY&pd_rd_wg=7uAnF&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=4PMH9K9CX1PVCS9YSS6A&refRID=4PMH9K9CX1PVCS9YSS6A&th=1

Or, if they want something individual, make a set of Brag Tags for each skill, and collect on a cord or in a binder (I use something like this for my music students, and we collect them in trading cards sheets in their music binder). https://luckylittlelearners.com/brag-tags/

2 hours ago, dmmetler said:

What if you got one set, got each kid an apron that they would like, and put the badges on a wall hanging, like this? https://www.amazon.com/Enamel-Pin-Wall-Display-Banner/dp/B07J29RZXF/ref=pd_sbs_193_t_1/143-4942015-7576208?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07JDLYG7M&pd_rd_r=3fc9df80-a7b0-48b5-afc4-10b640b065a1&pd_rd_w=JnvuY&pd_rd_wg=7uAnF&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=4PMH9K9CX1PVCS9YSS6A&refRID=4PMH9K9CX1PVCS9YSS6A&th=1

Or, if they want something individual, make a set of Brag Tags for each skill, and collect on a cord or in a binder (I use something like this for my music students, and we collect them in trading cards sheets in their music binder). https://luckylittlelearners.com/brag-tags/

oh - that looks cool. But then looking at it I started thinking of other things to do with the patches and had the idea of making them into magnets for the refrigerator!!!! I bet they'd love that! And super easy to hot glue a magnet on the back of them as they come!!! 

And good idea to get each kid an apron! the ones that come with the kit are kind of "blah", lol. 

6 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

My parents give us money to spend for them on the kids each year for the holidays and I'm thinking about the Raddish Kids subscription. I only today realized they have gluten free  modifications - I'd assumed we couldn't do it due to son's Celiac diagnosis. So, now that we can, I'm wondering if it is worth it? A year's subscription would be $200 with the coupon code that expires tonight. That covers one kid, including an apron and then a cooking utensil and a patch to put on the apron each month. They have a sibling kit for $5 a month that includes an extra utensil and patch. If I do that for the other two kids, thats another $120! So that's $320 for the three of them, plus another $30 if I got each sibling their own apron at $15 each. Which is within Grandma's budget, but I'm wondering if it is actually worth it? My DD has really gotten into cooking lately, and it has been great for her reading and her confidence. And DS needs to eat better so having him involved in cooking may help. And we are going to be unschooling(ish) for history/social studies/science the rest of the year, so this would add in some fun learning from what I can tell, as far the extra stuff about holidays/countries/science/etc. 

So - good idea? Or no?

Also, they have a preschooler version that is a set of 3 placemats with recipes and pictures on them, those are $20 but my thought is that the preschooler would still want to "help" with the big kid recipe anyway, and want the patch and whatever so no real point to doing that. 

Or would I be better off getting some Hello Fresh or Blue Apron meals delivered instead? They seem to like the subscription box idea - the only thing I don't like is the idea of 3 new utensils in  my house every month! I just decluttered the kitchen! And I already ordered DD9 a new apron with cute cats on it. 

Hmm....maybe this isn't a great idea. 

There's a typo in the title of your thread. You may get more responses if you correct it.

2 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

$20 for 3 recipes, and a fridge magnet seems like a lot.  Like you could buy a bunch of kids cookbooks and they could choose what to cook each month for a lot less.

I thought it was like blue apron where they provided the ingredients, but without the ingredients, I'm not sure I completely understand the point.

That's what my husband said and nixed the idea. :( Though I thought it was really cool. We do have 3 kids cookbooks and I just need to be more intentional about using it.

The point is the cooking getting done.

I was glad the ingredients were not provided so we could do it over and over if the recipe was enjoyed.

29 minutes ago, parent said:

I have looked at their kits and recipes at a book fair.  Great idea but expensive for what you get.  Agree that you could buy the kids utensils and aprons and just cook from your own cookbook.  Of course, getting the kits may force you to use it whereas doing it on your own could be more likely to shift to the back burner.

I love these Star Wars aprons.

Yup - it forces you to do it versus not actually getting around to it. And it reminds you to teach specific skills. There are also homeschool lesson plans for each kit on the website, which is pretty cool. 

The oldest is getting a cookbook as well, but options for kid friendly gluten free cookbooks are limited, so this expands that a bit. (the dietary modifications are on the website in printable format)

• Like 1

So, I did buy it!

I used the coupon code they had that I think expired at midnight, for $40 off, so it was $200 for the year and will be here before Christmas. At that point it is a bit over $16 a month for the fun of getting the kit int he mail addressed to them, the kitchen tool of the month, 3 recipes in kid friendly format, a specific skill to focus on, add on lesson plans on the website, etc. For the three of them to do together, that seems worth it. 

Or rather, the price for us to guarantee we spend at least three days a month cooking together and really focusing on the cooking itself, and the kitchen skills versus just rushing to get dinner done, seems worth that cost. 

I did not, however, pay for their build your own cookbook binder thing. It was $20 and when I looked it is just a mini binder - 8.5 x 5.5 or whatever with page protectors to put the recipes in.  It doesn't even have a super cute cover or anything. I already have an extra binder that size, and page protectors, so I'll print out a cute cover on Canva for it. And then a full size one for other recipes we do together. Or, maybe just one full size one if I can find page protector sheets to fit a full size binder but with half size pockets? Or print her other recipes on half size paper? Hm...

• Like 2