Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

I know I can't be the only one

ready for winter break, right?  

It's cold and snowy, so the kids have been inside a lot and the house is a wreck.  I have lots of stuff to do, not just cleaning or holiday stuff but other various and assorted tasks.  And I am over trying to push these ropes (aka my kids) to actually get some work done.  Not just school work, but any kind of chores or anything.  Every time I ask them to do something, they have to potty. Or they cry because it's too hard.  Or it takes eleventy million years to eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Or they hate chores.  Or they hate school.  Just cranky cranky.  And I know why, I know they aren't getting enough physical activity and that there's way too much tv and video gaming going on, but I really just don't have the time or the energy to try to get something else going.

Blah.  it's only 3 or 4 more days till break, it's gonna be a slog to get there.   But I am not alone, right?

• Like 6

Not alone.

But I can't lose more days of school for some of them & I already told them when they are getting off school so I can't try to get them to restart sooner than Jan 6th. Only one other kid & I are having the early Christmas break blues, so we're soldiering on.

3 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Not alone.

But I can't lose more days of school for some of them & I already told them when they are getting off school so I can't try to get them to restart sooner than Jan 6th. Only one other kid & I are having the early Christmas break blues, so we're soldiering on.

Right exactly!  My DH is off work from this Friday, until January 5th, so we can't restart sooner than the 6th either, nor is missing any more days.  

Blah.  Blah blah blah blah BLAH!

• Thanks 1

I wish I was with you!  We have taken too many days off lately.  I feel so behind in history, and behind in my daughter's writing.  I will try to do those every day of break and we should be caught up.  But I may squeeze in some other subjects too.  We are only taking a few days completely off.

We’re traveling, which will be fun. But DD already had a lot of days off this term, so we’ll probably keep working through the break :-/.

We started our break yesterday. I don't care whether we're ahead or behind. We were not being overly productive because we are all tired. We need a vacation in order to revamp our days and just refocus our energies. For the next 3 weeks we will do nothing but exactly what we want to do and when we want to do it. The new year will be a new beginning. No guilt, just fun and relaxation.

Sometimes doing nothing leads to more productivity in the long run. I know that's exactly where we are.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

For the next 3 weeks we will do nothing but exactly what we want to do...

This sounds absolutely lovely but, unfortunately, in practice in this house with these kids would lead to screaming, fighting, unhappy children and a completely wrung out mother. I'm trying to find a balance of structure and freedom for the next two weeks. We're 'off' from this Saturday until the 6th, though I'm planning museum trips the 2nd & 3rd.

6 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

This sounds absolutely lovely but, unfortunately, in practice in this house with these kids would lead to screaming, fighting, unhappy children and a completely wrung out mother. I'm trying to find a balance of structure and freedom for the next two weeks. We're 'off' from this Saturday until the 6th, though I'm planning museum trips the 2nd & 3rd.

My kids are trained from birth for self-entertainment.  I dont say that lightly or flippantly. It is an active goal pursued with diligence. Unstructured time during which they must self-regulate.

We have to track days in my state, and we hit the midpoint last Thursday and are mostly where I'd planned to be by now, so we've been off for a few days.  Last night was the second performance of the church music program (I ring bells) and we've already done the all-day out of town trip to see family, so things are starting to feel calm.  We still have a ball game and a few practices for different activities, but  we're heading in to some true time off.  We always take at least 2, if not 3, weeks away from school work.  We'll probably have our first day back on a Friday and we'll mostly sort our materials, see what we've finished, what we're starting new, and what we just continue with. We usually do a few 'get oriented with the new books' things and then do something fun for lunch or watch a documentary or otherwise ease back into the groove.  

• Like 1

My teens are so far behind in a couple of subjects just due to dd17 and I being so preoccupied with college applications (new to us this year!) and because we got a much later start in the year than we usually do because of a musical they were in this summer that ended several weeks into when we usually start school, a fall educational trip, and then us keeping our usual relaxed schedule the rest of the time and not really internalizing how much time we missed because of those things. DD finished her dual enrollment courses, so she is home this week and is working hard to catch up a little in our few at home subjects that we are most behind in. dd15 isn't as far behind, but is still wanting to knock out a couple of weeks in one week in Biology plans. I don't blame her. Doing it now means she won't be doing it in the summer. And dd17 will be graduating! So there is no working through the summer for us anymore if she moves slowly through the year. So weird! dd5 and I are still working on her stuff, but it doesn't take much time out of the days. Mostly I am trying to keep her messes to a minimum and doing fun Christmas stuff with her.

I do need time to plan next semester. I will be adding a reading program into our day for dd5 almost 6. I will be adding three classes into our schedule for dd17 since she isn't taking any DE next semester. So I need planning time. I also need Christmas planning time, lol. I got them going on work this morning. I set up dd5 on decorating a gingerbread house. And I got  my grocery list and menu plans made up until Christmas! I will do the big shop for it all tomorrow. I haven't figured out where cleaning fits in, but today I am determined to work in dd5's room a little. Dh promises me he will mop the kitchen when he gets home (super late tonight, so I will believe it when I see it!) I plan on wrapping a few each morning before LO wakes up. But today I didn't make it. I did get several done yesterday. Most of what the teens need to finish up doesn't involve me much.  The discussions and plans have been had and made. They are just wrapping up their reading and writing and testing portions. 

Once Christmas hits, I have that week in between until New Year's off when I really get to sit and watch Christmas movies and feel on break. And then everything starts back up. I am doing morning before school care for a neighbor in January, so I will need all of my plans for school ready to go before then. So I think I am going to have to set aside a precious day of my week off to plan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

My kids are trained from birth for self-entertainment.  I dont say that lightly or flippantly. It is an active goal pursued with diligence. Unstructured time during which they must self-regulate.

My kids have been taught to handle 2-3 hours of unstructured time *alone*, as we've been doing a midday quiet-time since forever, and they like it. However, at least during the winter when we are all inside together, they get on each other's nerves quickly and it devolves from there. Hopefully, as they get older, they might grow out of it? *prays harder*

• Like 3

Some of the kids might be starting break early. I have two that came down with fevers yesterday. If they are still not feeling well today, they're done.

• Sad 2

My plan was to keep going until Friday, but I threw in the towel for the youngest 2 days ago.  The oldest ds is finishing up Caculus by Friday.   That means studying for the final today!

• Like 1

Almost done!

I have to nag  strongly encourage  one of mine to finish up a few things this afternoon, but everyone else has been working hard this morning and is DONE! 🙂

I have school planning to do on Christmas break, but it's in a subject I like so hopefully that will make it a little more palatable.

• Like 1