Menu

Free stuff

Carol in Cal.

Free stuff availability has made it a lot easier for me to let things go, not hold onto them in a frugal Depression era mindset.

Our church has two free exchanges annually, kind of like rummage sales, except everything is free.  Usually a lot more is donated than taken, and the remainders are boxed up for delivery to various charities.  And locally there is a Buy Nothing facebook page for my neighborhood, which is a ‘free gift’ page, and people gift nice things there.  These are even better than thrift stores!  

• Like 7

Our group has a weekly free table that used to be problematic because things would be left behind with nowhere to go. Now we have someone who packs up any remainders and delivers them to a charity.  I just offloaded a bunch of “but what if I need it some day” stuff, and it feels sooooo good!!!  I’ve already started another bag.

Facebook isn’t the greatest for free stuff in my area, but there are the occasional winners.  My sister makes out like a bandit in her more upper class urban area.

• Like 3

Yes and amen!!! Our co-op has a sharing table and I LOVE it. It is so much easier to let things go when you know they truly are helping others. The leftovers are taken to a variety of places: a homeless shelter, Salvation Army, Better World Books, etc. 

We've also picked up some wonderful things at the end of our neighbor's driveways, including a beautiful upholstered rocker, a drivable electric toddler truck, and a bicycle.

And now I'm going to have the Red Hot Chili Peppers going through my head all day, "Give it away, give it away, give it away now..." 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I love the end of the driveway giveaway program. Our neighbours are really good about quickly cleaning up anything that might remain.

We used to live in a neighbourhood where stuff was left out in the back alley. It was guaranteed that no matter what was left out would be gone within minutes. If nothing else, a junk truck would come by regularly and sell whatever he gathered for scrap, I guess. We utilised his free “services” heavily when moved and ran out of time to properly donate everything. 

• Like 2