Menu

What's with the ads?

Plum

S/O Confession time - What grosses you out?

I have misophonia. I can’t take the sound of people chewing and swallowing. We watch tv during dinner so I don’t have to hear anyone smacking their lips. 

public pools

swimming in the ocean

restaurants in a certain part of town that have been on Dirty Dining too often  

Edited by Plum
  • Like 4

Besides the usual things that bother people?

Butterflies.

As in, "Ew, a butterfly." Which I made sure never to say out loud when DS was little. Even when I was very brave and took him into a butterfly exhibit and one of them landed on me and stayed there and another one fluttered about trying to flirt with her and an employee had to come rescue me.

I know a lot of people dislike or are disgusted by other insects, especially in large numbers, but people seem to think I'm weird with this one.

• Like 3

A lot! But here are the ones I can think of now.

Roaches. Until I worked with homeless people I had no idea that roaches can and do bite people. Now I am totally freaked out by them and unfortunately in Texas we have giant flying tree roaches. 

Mice were something I didn't know would freak me out until we had one in the house. 

We're in the middle of having our septic system pumped out as I type. I think that is really gross to think about. I am glad there are people to as Mike Rowe would say, do the Dirty Jobs. 

Also with you on public pools.  I let my kids go to them with dh, but it's another cognitive dissonance thing for me. When we went to Great Wolf I drank wine in large quantities to make that work, LOL. 

When I worked with the drug users, there was some really skeevy stuff there. Some things I wish I didn't know, but now I do, so when Sheldon wore Bus Pants on Big Bang, it always made me laugh because I felt like he was smart to do so. Now that's a family joke when going certain places "wear your Bus Pants". 

Oh and the twerking lady on Twitter this week that had the assless pants sitting at a b-ball game- that was gross too because who wears assless pants to a pubic event?!?  See above need for Bus Pants I guess everywhere, LOL. 

• Like 4

Adding one- the thought of accidentally going to a Massage salon that is actually a "Happy Ending" type Massage Parlor. Those are popping up insanely around the Houston area to the point where it's now hard to tell if one is legit or not. So I only go to the overpriced well known spa in our town or when we are at a hotel. 😞

My friend has a secretary who had a Groupon for a massage and went with a friend to it and it ended up being a Happy Ending Place. On Groupon! They're pretty bold anymore. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Rain in the bottom of trash cans (pickup day and the lid doesn’t go back down)—-when you have to dump it

Public pools

airplane rides (both the recirculated air and the upholstery and tray tables that are never cleaned)

restaurant buffets

Kid play places

movie theater seats

any public elevator button (made the mistake of swabbing one once to culture stuff)

• Like 3

Earwigs or pincerbugs. Yuck! I blame watching Dune or Star Trek too young. The name implies it goes in your ear. 

dh had hoarding neighbors at his apartment at one point. They were constantly battling roaches. He still freaks when he sees roaches. We don’t have a gardener but we do have pest control.  
He also doesn’t like dragonflies for some reason. 

Edited by Plum
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Rain in the bottom of trash cans (pickup day and the lid doesn’t go back down)—-when you have to dump it

Public pools

airplane rides (both the recirculated air and the upholstery and tray tables that are never cleaned)

restaurant buffets

Kid play places

movie theater seats

any public elevator button (made the mistake of swabbing one once to culture stuff)

I wasn't as freaked out by planes (except the bathrooms) until Twitter when people started posting airplane pictures of people putting nasty bare feet on chairs, or have gross injuries leak all over the place. Then I made friends with a former stewardess and she's told me even more to where now I'm just like 🤮.

I thought I kind of liked snakes, but when I had a chance to hold one I suddenly went, "Nope. Ain't gonna happen." It surprised me. 😂 

I also loved the song, "La Cucaracha" until I found out it was about cockroaches. I've never seen one "in the wild" of my home or anything, but my 7th grade science teacher had a fish tank full of them and I did NOT like the look of them.

Large bugs on sticks bbq'ed for eating grosses me out, too. 😰

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, there's ick.........and then there's *ICK*     For example, public pools.  The concept doesn't generally gross me out.  I tend to find that most are so chlorinated that they aren't really any different than my parents own pool.  And our local pool that we went to regularly last year, totally no problem.

And then there are other pools.  This summer, we went to my brother's house for his kids birthday.  And that's in July so we went swimming in the neighborhood pool (run by the HOA.)  There are no lifeguards which says to me, no one there on a regular basis (or at least not regular enough) to be testing PH, running the skimmer, etc etc.  We swam, but not long.  It wasn't like swimming in a lake, but yeah.

Speaking of, lake swimming.  That grosses me out.  The ocean isn't much better, but depending on the location and clarity of the water, it's usually better.  But lakes/ponds/creeks.....no.

Oh, and maggots.  I don't like bugs at all, they give me the willies, but maggots, ugh, that will make me retch.  

• Like 2

Hmm, the thought of bedbugs or lice is pretty disturbing.  Even ticks... I've never had one.  Mosquitoes are blood sucking parasites too, but I guess not a big deal because they are commonplace.  Maybe it's because they don't go home with you.

Apparently bed bug pesticides have been outlawed and the bugs are resistant to the legal ones, and they can be found in any hotel, there was even a US airport that had an infestation in a terminal last year or so.  Anyway, the thought of coming home from vacation with bed bugs is not pleasant.  I've read it's very expensive and difficult to get rid of them.  I know lice is common but  haven't had it.  My daughter had very long hair and would have been miserable to get lice in it.

Oh, and the massage comment made me think of this.  I don't do pedicures.  When I was 20 I got a nail fungus on my big toe.  I was pretty proactive, got rid of it quickly, and don't do pedicures anymore.  I did once more when my husband bought me one a few years ago, but I feel like I need to soak my feet in vinegar afterward to kill contaminents, which would proabably ruin the polish... so though it sounds nice and other tell me their favorite salon is so clean... I'll pass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plum said:

I have misophonia. I can’t take the sound of people chewing and swallowing. We watch tv during dinner so I don’t have to hear anyone smacking their lips. 

public pools

swimming in the ocean

restaurants in a certain part of town that have been on Dirty Dining too often  

My first thought when I read your title was ‘hearing people eat’! It’s not even a gross, rude type of chewing...just regular ol’ polite people chewing grosses me out. 

Hearing people cut their toenails. 

Buffets

walking around in some place like Great Wolf Lodge with my shoes off...wet and cold and slightly slimy...blech!

pretty much all hotel rooms. 

The sound of someone vomiting or dry heaving. 

I could go on and on, but I’ll stop with those most offending ones that popped in my head immediately. 😆

• Like 1

IV insertion-I can get shots with no problem, but I don't like IVs at all.

Throw up-can't deal with it. I'm glad we are not prone to it. I literally have not thrown up since I was pregnant and my son is 25. I can't remember how long it was before that.

Other body fluids as well. Like when you visit someone in the hospital and they have that suction thing. Grosses me out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Adding one- the thought of accidentally going to a Massage salon that is actually a "Happy Ending" type Massage Parlor. Those are popping up insanely around the Houston area to the point where it's now hard to tell if one is legit or not. So I only go to the overpriced well known spa in our town or when we are at a hotel. 😞

My friend has a secretary who had a Groupon for a massage and went with a friend to it and it ended up being a Happy Ending Place. On Groupon! They're pretty bold anymore. 

They are “popping up”?! 😂😂😂

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Math teacher said:

IV insertion-I can get shots with no problem, but I don't like IVs at all.

Throw up-can't deal with it. I'm glad we are not prone to it. I literally have not thrown up since I was pregnant and my son is 25. I can't remember how long it was before that.

Other body fluids as well. Like when you visit someone in the hospital and they have that suction thing. Grosses me out.

Believe me, nobody like the suction machine, including those who need it to not suffocate in their own juices.

I’m super grossed out by slippery pond scum.  Like, I don’t mind aquarium algae.  But the sour, stale, slick.... ugh.  Nope.  Food dried onto dishes in the sink also grosses me out.  Like, how hard is spraying it so it sits there with less chunks while it waits for washing?

Most things about small children who aren’t mine.

When they cough and sneeze into the open.
When I discover that they don’t know how to wash their hands.
When they put random things in their mouths.
When they grab at things that belong to me, with their quick and grimy little fingers...

There are exceptions. Actual babies and toddlers get a pass.  The few little people I love nearly as much as my own get a pass and a reminder, lol.  But mostly kids are just gross.

Oh, and sticky condiment jars.  Wash those things!!!

• Like 3

I have misophonia for chewing, too, as well as for discordant singing or music. 

Not a big fan of medical things, especially tubes and taped-down stuff like IVs. I visited dh in the hospital after a motorcycle accident and passed right out over tubes. Most people assume it’s blood that bothers me; it’s not. It’s abnormal medical things. Staples. Stitches. Taped on tubes and stuff up one’s nose. *shudder*

@marbel said this but I am also a bit bothered by piled-up plates and food all mixed together. With my own food, if I have any doubts the food will stay in its correct quadrant, I get a little bowl for the amorphous offender. For meals like Thanksgiving, I resolutely ignore other people’s plates. 

I am bothered when people bring their clearly-sick children to functions or events - or themselves! We love you but stay the heck home! 

I also confess I really only like to use *my* toilet in the house and no other. Even if I am nearer to a different toilet, I will almost always take the trip to MY potty, unless it’s an emergency. In the hierarchy of bathrooms here, the boys’ bathroom is the one I almost never use. Blech. 

• Like 4

I hate bad smells. I have a super powered nose so I smell everything all the time. With bad smells I KNOW I can only smell them because particles of badness have traveled from the source and INTO my face. It’s gross. 

• Like 4

Mice, rats, hamsters, and other like creatures. This includes rabbits.

Bare feet in hotel rooms

Vomit

Sitting on any toilet but mine

Super dry, cracked, flaky feet. I realize it happens, I've had problems with it myself, but please, for the love of all that is decent, don't wear sandals!!!

• Like 1

Turtle poo.  Yep.  Weird.  We have a 150 gallon pond in our basement, it’s beautiful.  We have three turtles, and one is ultra friendly.  She’ll follow you around, and just flap and flap to get your attention,  This sends water droplets over the 18” glass divider and if it lands on my face I go full on Lucy from Peanuts.  I love that little turtle but the thought of turtle poo on my face... No.  Just No.

• Haha 4

Goldfish.  In an aquarium they are fine, but I needed to move one to a clean bowl for some neighbors we were pet sitting for. Nope  Couldn’t do it. 

Very little bothers me but the one thing I can't handle is touching MIL's Mexican hairless dog.  I pet him when I met him and was immediately like never again it felt just so wrong.  He wears a sweater all winter and I pet him on that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Spiders and the way they skitter so fast

Salami - if it is on a sandwich I can't eat it even after taking it off the sandwich because the smell and the taste permeate everything it touched and It's just so sick and wrong to eat something that smells like that

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

Spiders and the way they skitter so fast

Salami - if it is on a sandwich I can't eat it even after taking it off the sandwich because the smell and the taste permeate everything it touched and It's just so sick and wrong to eat something that smells like that

Dry salami smells like mold to me and turns my stomach.   I don't like Genoa, but I love hard salami.

3 hours ago, parent said:

Hmm, the thought of bedbugs or lice is pretty disturbing.  Even ticks... I've never had one.  Mosquitoes are blood sucking parasites too, but I guess not a big deal because they are commonplace.  Maybe it's because they don't go home with you.

Apparently bed bug pesticides have been outlawed and the bugs are resistant to the legal ones, and they can be found in any hotel, there was even a US airport that had an infestation in a terminal last year or so.  Anyway, the thought of coming home from vacation with bed bugs is not pleasant.  I've read it's very expensive and difficult to get rid of them.  I know lice is common but  haven't had it.  My daughter had very long hair and would have been miserable to get lice in it.

Oh, and the massage comment made me think of this.  I don't do pedicures.  When I was 20 I got a nail fungus on my big toe.  I was pretty proactive, got rid of it quickly, and don't do pedicures anymore.  I did once more when my husband bought me one a few years ago, but I feel like I need to soak my feet in vinegar afterward to kill contaminents, which would proabably ruin the polish... so though it sounds nice and other tell me their favorite salon is so clean... I'll pass.

Okay so admittedly, watching friends with kids in daycare go through several rounds of lice PTSD has made me very hypersensitive on that front- it’s like sympathy PTSD- the most stoic woman I know almost had a break down over a combo lice and ringworm infection her 24 mo dd got at daycare. It scarred me just hearing her. So now when when a friend says “oh they had lice last month they caught at gymnastics” I try to be cool, but I may or may not cause me a twitch. 

And on the pedicures- all through the 90’s I got weekly manis and pedis and the Vietmese place by my house. They were so nice. I loved it. I still remember- $28 for both, and that gave you a paraffin foot treatment too. They were teaching me Vietnamese even. It was great- felt like just the best part of my week. And then one day I happen to notice the technician taking the paraffin wax off another client’s foot and throwing it right back in the wax pot. That was the last time I ever had a pedicure there. But then my aesthetician started telling me about all the expensive spas with broken autoclaves and the health issues, and then I went to grad school and I haven’t had a pedicure since. They just don’t have enough health inspectors here to keep up with the number of businesses. Like the massage parlors. It’s one thing to get grossed out. It’s another thing to get hepatitis or staph or even something seemingly minor like a nail fungus but even those are honestly really, really hard to cure long term from a pharma perspective. Staph or Hep can maim or worse. So yeah- pedis have had all the fun taken away too. I will let my kids go with dh to a public place like Great Wolf and make myself chill out, but I wouldn’t  let dd get a pedi there. 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Okay so admittedly, watching friends with kids in daycare go through several rounds of lice PTSD has made me very hypersensitive on that front- it’s like sympathy PTSD- the most stoic woman I know almost had a break down over a combo lice and ringworm infection her 24 mo dd got at daycare. It scarred me just hearing her. So now when when a friend says “oh they had lice last month they caught at gymnastics” I try to be cool, but I may or may not cause me a twitch. 

And on the pedicures- all through the 90’s I got weekly manis and pedis and the Vietmese place by my house. They were so nice. I loved it. I still remember- $28 for both, and that gave you a paraffin foot treatment too. They were teaching me Vietnamese even. It was great- felt like just the best part of my week. And then one day I happen to notice the technician taking the paraffin wax off another client’s foot and throwing it right back in the wax pot. That was the last time I ever had a pedicure there. But then my aesthetician started telling me about all the expensive spas with broken autoclaves and the health issues, and then I went to grad school and I haven’t had a pedicure since. They just don’t have enough health inspectors here to keep up with the number of businesses. Like the massage parlors. It’s one thing to get grossed out. It’s another thing to get hepatitis or staph or even something seemingly minor like a nail fungus but even those are honestly really, really hard to cure long term from a pharma perspective. Staph or Hep can maim or worse. So yeah- pedis have had all the fun taken away too. I will let my kids go with dh to a public place like Great Wolf and make myself chill out, but I wouldn’t  let dd get a pedi there. 

Isn't it awesome to homeschool?  My kids never went to day care.  With our first 2, my husband worked earlier in the day so he was off work by 3, and I worked part time and started at noon, so for about 3 hrs each day, my mom watched them.  When we had the 3rd, I retired.  Obviously so many bigger and better reasons to homeschool but a great perk that we don't get exposed to as much.

My mom loves the "so relaxing" pedicures and insists that they clean the foot spas every time then seal them up,  and everyone has their own packet of tools they purchase...but no... I just can't do it. The communal nail polish weirds me out too.  I only had a little yellowing on one side of my big toe but that was enough.  I'm glad it was easy for me to get rid of with topical med, but I know I applied it for several months, maybe even 6.  It's absolutely not worth it for me.  I can trim my nails myself.  And I found the best pumice stone.  Mr. Pumice!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, parent said:

Isn't it awesome to homeschool?  My kids never went to day care.  With our first 2, my husband worked earlier in the day so he was off work by 3, and I worked part time and started at noon, so for about 3 hrs each day, my mom watched them.  When we had the 3rd, I retired.  Obviously so many bigger and better reasons to homeschool but a great perk that we don't get exposed to as much.

My mom loves the "so relaxing" pedicures and insists that they clean the foot spas every time then seal them up,  and everyone has their own packet of tools they purchase...but no... I just can't do it. The communal nail polish weirds me out too.  I only had a little yellowing on one side of my big toe but that was enough.  I'm glad it was easy for me to get rid of with topical med, but I know I applied it for several months, maybe even 6.  It's absolutely not worth it for me.  I can trim my nails myself.  And I found the best pumice stone.  Mr. Pumice!

I'll be honest. On the lice/scabies/other creepy crawlies I have had just as many homeschool friends get hit these days as daycare/PS kids. It seems to know no bounds, and then re-infestations came all the time. I remember when my oldest was in PS we had The Note that would come home every winter "we have had incidences of head lice, so please be aware and perform a daily check on your child," blah blah blah. We always dodged that bullet, but I've been surprised by the number of friends who homeschool who have had to deal with it. I've decided it's a kid thing more than a school thing. 

But yeah- the pedicures are now a no-go for me. My aesthetician had told me that so many places have broken autoclaves, but they still seal the tools like they were autoclaved so the customers didn't know the difference- that's why she left and went on her own- but between that and then being involved in infection disease so knowing health inspectors, I was like WOW. I had no idea you could catch so many things, and how often people DID catch things from illegal foot razors and unclean baths and all of that. It's a shame, because it's such a fun thing, but even at the expensive spas, I just don't feel that 12 months of anti-fungals and what those would do to my liver if the spa wants to take short cuts  is worth the pedi 😞

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I'll be honest. On the lice/scabies/other creepy crawlies I have had just as many homeschool friends get hit these days as daycare/PS kids. It seems to know no bounds, and then re-infestations came all the time. I remember when my oldest was in PS we had The Note that would come home every winter "we have had incidences of head lice, so please be aware and perform a daily check on your child," blah blah blah. We always dodged that bullet, but I've been surprised by the number of friends who homeschool who have had to deal with it. I've decided it's a kid thing more than a school thing. 

But yeah- the pedicures are now a no-go for me. My aesthetician had told me that so many places have broken autoclaves, but they still seal the tools like they were autoclaved so the customers didn't know the difference- that's why she left and went on her own- but between that and then being involved in infection disease so knowing health inspectors, I was like WOW. I had no idea you could catch so many things, and how often people DID catch things from illegal foot razors and unclean baths and all of that. It's a shame, because it's such a fun thing, but even at the expensive spas, I just don't feel that 12 months of anti-fungals and what those would do to my liver if the spa wants to take short cuts  is worth the pedi 😞

Scabies... shudder.  Ringworm sounds awful too.  But scabies is mites burrowing under the skin, right?  I've never known anyone who got that, but I did read a really sad news story about a case at a nursing home.  Ew, ew, ew.   Yes, we will keep to our fastidious handwashing routines! 

I don't think there is very much that grosses me out. But on the subject of manicures, I got one for a dance in high school and I remember she nicked my skin with one of those electric rotating buffer things. Soon after I developed a cluster of warts there that were a beast to get rid of.

I've only had a couple manicures and pedicures since then but you all are making me rethink them altogether.

• Confused 1

I get icked out by wet paper.  Especially if it is dirty wet paper, like something left outside in the rain.  

• Like 1

I'm going grossed out by a lot of things, but most things I find gross are also scary and causes anxiety.  The only thing I can think of I'm flat out grossed out by that doesn't also make me feel scared and anxious is vomit.  I have 4 kids and I'm 8 years into this parenting thing,but it never gets easier.  My first 2 haven't puked a lot, but my 3rd child is a puker.  Blech.  I think I hate puking even more than seeing or cleaning up kid puke.  I try dang hard to not puke any time I feel sick and I have controlled it well since I was really little.  

2 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Very little bothers me but the one thing I can't handle is touching MIL's Mexican hairless dog.  I pet him when I met him and was immediately like never again it felt just so wrong.  He wears a sweater all winter and I pet him on that.

Oh I bet! I have never seen one in person. I'm fairly grossed out by pigs and how skin-y they are.  Ick.  Dh thinks pigs are adorable and I'm like bacon, that's all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, parent said:

We had bedbugs about 9 years ago.  It was horrible.  I posted all about it here on the forums.  My dh brought them home from a hotel in New York state.  It cost about $2500 to get rid of and a TON of work.  We ended up throwing away a lot of our possessions in the room that was infested and our bug guy said that helped a lot. Bedbugs will hide in anything, so you have to visually inspect everything in the room, and even then it’s hard to find them.  Like...they like to live inside wall sockets or on the backs of picture frames, etc.  Any possessions that we kept, had to be kept in big black sealed trashbags for 6 weeks.  Slowly, we’d open each back and put the items back out, and the bug guy would come and reinspect after each bag had been out for a week to see if any bugs had been inadvertently packed away.  We had to wash every single garment we owned in hot water and use an industrial dryer at a laundromat to get the clothes hot enough.  Oh, it was just AWFUL.  

The worst part was that I said to the bug guy, “I am NOT sleeping in that bed!” And he said, “Well...if you move to another room for the next couple of nights,” (we had to wait a couple of days for him to treat the rooms because we had to have time to bag everything up), “the bugs will follow you.  They’ll move from your bedroom to your living room where your couch is, if you sleep on the couch.  And then you’ll have to treat that room, too.”  So we had to keep sleeping KNOWING that they were crawling all over us while we slept.  I guess we could have gone to a hotel, but then what if we brought the bugs with us and infested the hotel?  

And the chemicals he used to treat sets the females into some sort of mode where they head out to feed more than ever.  And when they set out to feed on us, they walk through other chemicals that will kill them.  So, even after the treatment, we knew that bugs would be swarming out to feed on us in order to get them to walk through the other chemicals.  OH IT WAS HORRIBLE.

And lice?!  No.  Just no.  Never had lice and NO NO NO.  

———

When TV shows show men urinating.  Not close up...they’re just in a bathroom standing near a urinal....but yuck.  I hate that sort of scene.  It’s like I can smell it and I haaaaate that sort of scene.

I also hate it when TV shows show someone throwing up.  NO.  NO NO.  NO NO NO.  I hate that.  The actor has stuff spewing out of their mouths.  Just no.  

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Most things about small children who aren’t mine.

When they cough and sneeze into the open.
When I discover that they don’t know how to wash their hands.
When they put random things in their mouths.
When they grab at things that belong to me, with their quick and grimy little fingers...

There are exceptions. Actual babies and toddlers get a pass.  The few little people I love nearly as much as my own get a pass and a reminder, lol.  But mostly kids are just gross.

Oh, and sticky condiment jars.  Wash those things!!!

When little kids have runny noses.  I cannot take that, people!  

And when very little kids (like still in high chairs) eat.  Oh, it’s just too disgusting.  It was ok when it was my own kids, but no one else’s kids can eat messily without it grossing me out.

———

Million-leggers.  Those bugs with all the legs.  Shudder.  It’s a visceral reaction.  I just can’t. 

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

I also loved the song, "La Cucaracha" until I found out it was about cockroaches. 

Maybe you'll like it again once you know that the "cockroach" mentioned isn't really about an actual insect.  Wikipedia gives a history of the song. The version you know is probably the one that came out of the Mexican Revolution.  

My entire family is grossed out by mayonnaise. 

I only have misophonia for some things- off tune singing or playing of an instrument, schreeching on chalk board, probably some others I can't recall now.

Cockroaches are bad but maggots are so much worse. 

Spoiled milk and milk products

Mold

31 minutes ago, DesertBlossom said:

I don't think there is very much that grosses me out. But on the subject of manicures, I got one for a dance in high school and I remember she nicked my skin with one of those electric rotating buffer things. Soon after I developed a cluster of warts there that were a beast to get rid of.

I've only had a couple manicures and pedicures since then but you all are making me rethink them altogether.

See and I get one every two weeks and have never had an infection, warts, nail fungus, etc.  It really depends on the salon but there are clean, careful ones out there 🙂

• Like 1

Rats. My 7th grade science teacher had a pair of rats. At first she gave extra credit to kids to feed them and clean their cage before school, but the administration forbade credit for non academic activities, so that ended and no one cleaned, ever. So there were these two smelly creatures with those awful tails in our first period class. The boys would always loosen the lid when the teacher's back was turned, and since one was male and one female, they were very excited to escape and get together. 

Dogs that resemble rats also bother me. I assume they she'll like dirty rat, even if they are right on front of me and don't smell. Cats that smell of litter boxes are even worse. 

Other than that, I guess just my baby grabbing for the toilet bowl wand. He hasn't gotten it yet, but he knows I don't want him to have it, so it is Desired Object Number One. 

5 minutes ago, Garga said:

We had bedbugs about 9 years ago.  It was horrible.  I posted all about it here on the forums.  My dh brought them home from a hotel in New York state.  It cost about $2500 to get rid of and a TON of work.  We ended up throwing away a lot of our possessions in the room that was infested and our bug guy said that helped a lot. Bedbugs will hide in anything, so you have to visually inspect everything in the room, and even then it’s hard to find them.  Like...they like to live inside wall sockets or on the backs of picture frames, etc.  Any possessions that we kept, had to be kept in big black sealed trashbags for 6 weeks.  Slowly, we’d open each back and put the items back out, and the bug guy would come and reinspect after each bag had been out for a week to see if any bugs had been inadvertently packed away.  We had to wash every single garment we owned in hot water and use an industrial dryer at a laundromat to get the clothes hot enough.  Oh, it was just AWFUL.  

The worst part was that I said to the bug guy, “I am NOT sleeping in that bed!” And he said, “Well...if you move to another room for the next couple of nights,” (we had to wait a couple of days for him to treat the rooms because we had to have time to bag everything up), “the bugs will follow you.  They’ll move from your bedroom to your living room where your couch is, if you sleep on the couch.  And then you’ll have to treat that room, too.”  So we had to keep sleeping KNOWING that they were crawling all over us while we slept.  I guess we could have gone to a hotel, but then what if we brought the bugs with us and infested the hotel?  

And the chemicals he used to treat sets the females into some sort of mode where they head out to feed more than ever.  And when they set out to feed on us, they walk through other chemicals that will kill them.  So, even after the treatment, we knew that bugs would be swarming out to feed on us in order to get them to walk through the other chemicals.  OH IT WAS HORRIBLE.

———

When TV shows show men urinating.  Not close up...they’re just in a bathroom standing near a urinal....but yuck.  I hate that sort of scene.  It’s like I can smell it and I haaaaate that sort of scene.

I also hate it when TV shows show someone throwing up.  NO.  NO NO.  NO NO NO.  I hate that.  The actor has stuff spewing out of their mouths.  Just no.  

And when very little kids (like still in high chairs) eat.  Oh, it’s just too disgusting.  It was ok when it was my own kids, but no one else’s kids can eat messily without it grossing me out.

———

Million-leggers.  Those bugs with all the legs.  Shudder.  It’s a visceral reaction.  I just can’t. 

I'm sorry that happened. I know someone who knew someone who had a bedbug infestation and they couldn't afford to get rid of them.  Sounded appalling.

It's absolutely a concern to me.  I ask hotels when we book and when we check-in if they have had bedbugs. We stayed at a fancy ski resort a couple years ago and the uppity clerk got really huffy when I asked.  Though fancier than most hotels we stay at, it wasn't cleaner.  I found a beer cap and a plastic wrapper on the room floor in the open which made me think they didn't even vacuum.  I don't put luggage on the hotel room floor.  I always wash everything when we get home, all clothing items and kids blankets, and all the luggage goes immediately outside to storage.  I will also say that in my state there have been bed bug reports. I'm just so not interested in dealing with it.  My motto is basically "an ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure". 

((Waiting for someone to call me OCD))😁

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Garga said:

———

———

We went through bed bug treatment even though we really had bat bugs (similar, but different) and bed bugs are beyond gross.  They send my anxiety through the rough.  It is BS a tiny little thing can do the things they did to my mind.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, xahm said:

Other than that, I guess just my baby grabbing for the toilet bowl wand. He hasn't gotten it yet, but he knows I don't want him to have it, so it is Desired Object Number One. 

All my kids want to use the toilet wand.  "Please mom, can I clean the toilet?"  Just because it's the thing I don't let them do. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I wasn't as freaked out by planes (except the bathrooms) until Twitter when people started posting airplane pictures of people putting nasty bare feet on chairs, or have gross injuries leak all over the place. Then I made friends with a former stewardess and she's told me even more to where now I'm just like 🤮.

Ugh. Wish I had not read this a couple of months before a 12 hour flight...Flight pants???

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Ugh. Wish I had not read this a couple of months before a 12 hour flight...Flight pants???

Yes! Plane pants. And socks for when you slip off your shoes for the security check. And then never ever ever ever EVER use the blankets they provide. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The hair and stuff DH pulls out of the drain. We had a friend stay with us overnight, right after we had moved. He came out from his morning shower and told me how he had cleaned out the drain for us. I was so close to puking. He touched that, and it wasn’t even someone he knew. Shudder.

Moths. Need I say more?

Dryer lint, vacuum cleaner bags. The thought of a canister vacuum is just disgusting.

Loose body parts, namely teeth and nails.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Yes! Plane pants. And socks for when you slip off your shoes for the security check. And then never ever ever ever EVER use the blankets they provide. 

Um, chlorox wipes.... I always carry them when I travel. 😎

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

The hair and stuff DH pulls out of the drain. We had a friend stay with us overnight, right after we had moved. He came out from his morning shower and told me how he had cleaned out the drain for us. I was so close to puking. He touched that, and it wasn’t even someone he knew. Shudder.

Moths. Need I say more?

Dryer lint, vacuum cleaner bags. The thought of a canister vacuum is just disgusting.

Loose body parts, namely teeth and nails.

Lol my 1 1/2 year old would agree.  I dropped dryer lint by accident and didn't notice.  She stood looking at it and was making gagging noises.  I agree about moths and butterflies.

Hoards.  As in hoarded houses. My mother was a hoarder and I have PTSD level trauma from it. I don't think I could go into another hoarded house.

And eye injuries, infections or medical procedures, even the thought of someone touching an eye including contacts.

• Sad 1

I can't deal with pictures of kids in sagging diapers, smeared with food.  I unfriended someone on facebook because she constantly posted pics of her drooling 2 year old, naked except for a sagging diaper, smeared with food.  Why is this child never clean?! I get it; toddlers are messy.  They drool when they are teething. Sometimes it's just easier to feed them this way.  But oh lord, please no more photos of your child covered in a slime layer of boogers, drool, and spaghetti sauce.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3