Menu

How to get cat urine out of grout?

3 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I'm following because I still haven't been able to get the spilled perfume smell out of the grout in my bathroom from Thanksgiving! If it works on cat pee, guessing it would work on Armani, LOL. 

Merciful heavens, I'd trade cat piss for Armani any day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I cleaned cat urine from unsealed concrete this way...

Mix a crumbly paste of baking soda and dish soap.

Fill a spray bottle with vinegar, and have another spray bottle with water.

Get a carpet cleaning machine or wet vac ready to use.

Use a super stiff brush to work the soap-soda paste deep into the grout. Brush it away if it starts to get dirty looking, and continue to work with fresh amounts of the paste. When the paste seems to be staying clean, spray it with the vinegar and scrub at it some more as it foams. Suck up the foam with the wet vac. Continue working until the vinegar spray is no longer causing foam. Then use the water spray and the wet vac to rinse the area (so you aren't left with vinegar).

7 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Okay, so I was under the impression that the steam would "seal" in the smell. I know that happens with fabrics, but is it different with tile. That's why I haven't steamed my bathroom floor yet. 

Oh no. The steam lifts stuff out. Excellent for bathroom floors. One of the best uses in my experience.

One would need to wipe or suction up the water, but this sort of cleaning plays to the strong suit of a steamer. And it will disinfect.

I'd use an appropriate cleaner in conjunction with the steamer, but this sort of job is perfect.

Try it. You will be happy.

Bill

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Okay, so I was under the impression that the steam would "seal" in the smell. I know that happens with fabrics, but is it different with tile. That's why I haven't steamed my bathroom floor yet. 

I don't mind doing Dupray a good turn. When I was thinking about getting one of these, the person who answered by call spent nearly an hour talking with me, giving me tips, answering questions, and being very honest about how these units perform.

I love my Neat. I don't mind driving some sales. For the price, having a steamer like this is game changing. Don't you think?

Bill

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Okay, I will give it a go tomorrow and report back. I've tried bleach, peroxide, Odo-Ban, baking soda, vinegar, activated charcoal and Pine Sol (not all at the same time obviously) and there is still a nice whiff of Armani Code every time I walk in my bathroom.  

Please report back. I'd change out the towel you use on the head a couple times if you are pulling up a fragrance.

Bill