Menu

What's with the ads?

PeachyDoodle

Today I love homeschooling because...

... my kid never hears about the crazy stunts pulled by the Elf on the Shelf at other kids' houses! He's content just to see his elf sitting in a different spot each morning (or even the same spot if the elf was "tired" lol)!

Why are you happy (or unhappy) to be a homeschooler today?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I'm buying books for my dd for Christmas.  Because we homeschooled and I was able to highly encourage excellent literature, she reads mostly high quality lit. I am buying her a set of her favorite classic author, Thomas Hardy. I am so proud she is like this. 

• Like 6

I am happy bc my 14 yo who is growing so much, is coming down with a cold, and has been working really hard, can sleep late. The high school bus went down my street over an hour and a half ago. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

I am happy bc my 14 yo who is growing so much, is coming down with a cold, and has been working really hard, can sleep late. The high school bus went down my street over an hour and a half ago. 

That has been and still is a blessing for me to be able to let my kids sleep in and recuperate after working late (with or without cold/seasonal allergies). The high school bus leaves the main road at 7am, so probably same time as yours.

Both my teens have more colds during growth spurts. I had days where I brew chicken or pork soup for them daily because it helps somewhat. Lack of sleep is another contributor to more colds for my teens.

We have been having rainy days which are great for California’s drought but I don’t enjoy being in the rain when it’s too cold for me to be out. So I am thankful that my kids don’t need to brave the rain to go to and from school like I had to brave the knee to waist high floods in my school days.

DS15 started dual enrollment this quarter in September. When I went to hand in the paperwork for next quarter, it was actually very easy since I am also the administrator/principal of my homeschool on the private school affidavit. So whatever extra information or clarification the admin staff need I could just clarify on the spot and get those paperwork approved.

• Like 4

Great topic!

I love homeschooling today because it’s rainy and raw outside and I just started a crockpot of homemade hot chocolate to share with my Friday afternoon writing class.  I get to work with fabulous teens and sip hot chocolate—all while sitting in my dining room and wearing snuggly socks.

• Like 5

I love homeschooling today because we slept late, did our core subjects, and are done by lunch for the year. Yay!

• Like 4

Today I love homeschooling because we got to see the awesome mall Santa who usually has crazy lines at 10:00 am this morning when no one else was there.  He spent time chatting with each kid, and even the almost 2yo got brave enough to stand within 4 feet of him.  Now it’s cold and rainy and we can have hot chocolate and watch Wild Kratt.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PeachyDoodle said:

... my kid never hears about the crazy stunts pulled by the Elf on the Shelf at other kids' houses! He's content just to see his elf sitting in a different spot each morning (or even the same spot if the elf was "tired" lol)!

Why are you happy (or unhappy) to be a homeschooler today?

I know several homeschoolers who do Elf and talk about it at HS activities.  It used to drive me crazy.  I hear less about it now that we aren't HSing.

Today I love homeschooling because we’re watching old Disney movies on Disney plus during this cold, rainy weather.  It’s my kids first time watching Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Little Mermaid, etc and they’re talking about how the Disney versions differ from all of the fairy tales and literature we’ve read over the years.  I never knew the original versions growing up, I’m so thankful for the rich literature my boys have grown up with.

• Like 6

I didn't have to make my child do homework. We have a lot of school days, but when school is over for the day, it's over.

• Like 5

Because today we did math and art and went to a PE class and spent the rest of the day making Christmas cookies with my mom.

• Like 6

Dd has been procrastinating her last little bit of work she has to do for the year. Instead of forcing it, she can take her time and finish this weekend. It’ll get done. No sense in stressing out about it. 

• Like 3

This WEEK I love homeschooling because I have been sick and lost my voice, so we have done very minimal amounts of school. I just got to stay in, nowhere for any of us to be and just rest up.  The weather has been rainy and the boys have loved all the extra video game time this week too. I love the flexibility and not being stressed about needing to take the week mostly off for rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rebcoola said:

Because after a random bad night night with the baby we were able to just sleep in until 10.

Oh yes, I have had many mornings like that!