• May
    • June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December

July. I was fresh out of college (4 years but took a couple more classes to actually graduate a couple years later 🙄) and it was easier than being in school and trying to fit a wedding in. My roommate was married in December--you are right, very pretty in churches that decorate (saves on church flowers, too, if they use poinsettias!).

December for us, we have pictures throwing snowballs at each other.

We had family coming from far away, siblings with school and college schedules to work around etc. It was either Christmas break or wait until the next summer. We opted for December and chose the specific date based on when people could come.

November, a month that made no sense to anyone but some obscure family member who didn’t come anyway. 😡

One of my few true regrets is that we didn’t elope to Vegas like we wanted to. I very much dislike the hoopla of weddings, and even though ours was as simple as possible, I didn’t have any control over it. My sister completely took over and insisted on all kinds of crap we didn’t want (a caterer, really? Ugh), and we didn’t know almost anyone there. We lived on the other side of the country and couldn’t stop the snowball effect of someone who likes to control others and doesn’t listen to what they want. Such a waste.  

And now we get an anniversary we never get to celebrate because it’s sandwiched between Thanksgiving and a birthday and it’s no fun to go anywhere around here because it’s a miserable month. 

November.  But it was the weekend after thanksgiving so we got holiday decorations at our venue and photos with holiday lights etc.  chosen for affordability and ability for far flung family to travel.  We also got married on a Friday.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

We picked March.  It was basically the only month that wasn't fully of stuff that year lol

We picked March. It was exactly 6 months to the day from the day we got engaged and that was the minimum time of engagement I wanted so out of town folks had an opportunity to come (And some did).  And the church was available.

The pastor wasn't but I asked an alternate to officiate and in retrospect I'm glad -- we've kept up much better with the new, younger guy than the original person we were going to ask (And we were his first wedding! And we haven't divorced so the last time we saw him he said at least he knew he had some good judgement left there)

We married in January. Our reception was indoors/outdoors. We had it at our (large) house and borrowed picnic tables from a neighbor to put out in our (also large - 4 acre) yard. There's always a chance of a cold front coming in January but for the most part it's one of the nicest weather months. Also, by having it the Saturday before MLK, Jr. Day we both had one less day to take off work for our honeymoon.

8 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I was teaching school, and we got married the weekend after school let out so we could have a honeymoon.

I was also teaching school so I took a combination of 2 personal days and 2 comp days (I always saved my comp time until I had enough for a few full days), plus we had the Monday holiday. Dh could have taken off any time but as you know it's not so simple when you're teaching.

Edited by Lady Florida.

We eloped in January. It was perfect. Dh took a random Tuesday off work, picked me up, and we got married in this little chapel in MD.  It snowed for about 15 minutes so we have some great pics of us just married with snow falling.

4 years later, on the same day, we got married in the Catholic Church. 

6 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Another fan of October. New Year’s Eve was my second choice, but impractical and DH didn’t want to wait that long (engaged in May). 

We picked January because we were impatient. We didn't originally plan to elope but were thinking a small backyard wedding. Got engaged in September and as the months went on I just didn't want to wait any more. So, exactly 4 months later we eloped

3 hours ago, maize said:

December for us, we have pictures throwing snowballs at each other.

We had family coming from far away, siblings with school and college schedules to work around etc. It was either Christmas break or wait until the next summer. We opted for December and chose the specific date based on when people could come.

Same for us. We got married during the semester break so we could travel back to my home state. I think the day we got married was just about the only day that worked for us too. Dh's family also came from out of town. No snow in the desert for us though.

• Like 1

January

We had everything scheduled for a June wedding...

My roommate situation was not working out...on New Year's eve I ended up all alone at soon-to-be DH's apartment, and he was snowed in in San Antonio (I was at his apartment because it was only a few blocks from where I worked and we had a terrible ice storm come through--I never would have made it to my apartment).  DH tracked me down there around 11pm.  At midnight he suggested that we just go ahead and get married as soon as possible (actually his dads idea!)... I was working full time and going to school full time... I wanted to make my wedding dress and silk flowers (yes I used silk flower petal kits--soon to be MIL had purchased the lace for my dress as a Christmas present).  We figured I'd need about 3 weeks to get things in order.  At 12:30 am I called my parents to say Happy New Year-- what are your plans 3 weeks from now? 

We ended up having a candle-light wedding with a summer wedding dress at 3pm in the afternoon on a snowy January day...  We did not have time to send out invitations and had over 200 people show up!  I can't imagine how large of a wedding we would have had to endure had we waited until June! 

I think our wedding was PERFECT.  Total cost $500 including dress and reception (cake/punch) and family dinner afterwards at nice restaurant.  No regrets. 

We will celebrate 35 years in a few weeks!

• Like 5

I wanted a December wedding but it wouldn't have been enough time to plan or would have meant waiting over a year, so we opted for a different date.  We chose February, but the date didn't work out because of schedule conflicts with some people we really wanted to attend, so we moved it to April on my birthday.  It ended up being a good thing we changed it because the original date in February ended up with a huge flood and the town we were going to get married in was evacuated.

December - because we were both students and it was the only time we could get off. It was not a great time to have a wedding, as driving conditions were poor (freezing rain), it messes up people's holidays, the catering crew is exhausted, and our honeymoon ended early because the power went out in the hotel due to freezing rain (plus we couldn't ski or skate outside in the rain).

So, though it sounds lovely, it's got limitations. 😉

We married in June. We got engaged in March, and were talking about a December wedding. But we were both planning on moving during the summer to go to (the same) grad school, and someone suggested it would be a lot easier if we married before we moved. We liked the idea, so we did it! It was definitely the better plan, and saved us a lot of hassle and stress that we would have faced our first year in grad school. In reality, the timing had nothing to do with the season of the year, and all to do with how it worked with other life plans. Thankfully, my mother was free to help with a lot of logistics, and she was a lifesaver. I do love the fall, and also think December weddings are beautiful, but we have numerous fall and winter birthdays in our family, so with the holidays too, I'm glad our anniversary is during a less busy time of the year.

27 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

....I think our wedding was PERFECT.  Total cost $500 including dress and reception (cake/punch) and family dinner afterwards at nice restaurant.  No regrets. 

First, congratulations on your anniversary!

I love wedding reception stories; where did you have the cake/punch?  Did you get a caterer, or just do it yourself?

39 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

January

My roommate situation was not working out...on New Year's eve I ended up all alone at soon-to-be DH's apartment, and he was snowed in in San Antonio (I was at his apartment because it was only a few blocks from where I worked and we had a terrible ice storm come through--I never would have made it to my apartment).  DH tracked me down there around 11pm.  At midnight he suggested that we just go ahead and get married as soon as possible (actually his dads idea!)... I was working full time and going to school full time... I wanted to make my wedding dress and silk flowers (yes I used silk flower petal kits--soon to be MIL had purchased the lace for my dress as a Christmas present).  We figured I'd need about 3 weeks to get things in order.  At 12:30 am I called my parents to say Happy New Year-- what are your plans 3 weeks from now? 

We ended up having a candle-light wedding with a summer wedding dress at 3pm in the afternoon on a snowy January day...  We did not have time to send out invitations and had over 200 people show up!  I can't imagine how large of a wedding we would have had to endure had we waited until June! 

I think our wedding was PERFECT.  Total cost $500 including dress and reception (cake/punch) and family dinner afterwards at nice restaurant.  No regrets. 

THAT is so beautiful.  It sounds like a lovely wedding.  Congratulations on 35ys

Engaged in August, married in January. We didn’t want to wait, we were older and wanted to start a family right away.  The reception venue that usually books a year in advance had availability in January plus we took advantage of MLK, the one three day weekend people don’t already have plans.  Temperatures were mild and we had sunshine, January worked really well for us.  Only downside is our anniversary is sandwiched between Christmas and Valentine’s Day and doesn’t get much of our attention. 

May, which is the last month of Autumn here. I can't remember why we picked it, a combination of weather, dh's new job and me being old enough to not give my mother a heart attack... It was lovely but our mothers kind of took over with 'shoulds' that they paid for. If we were to do it again we'd do registry office and bring a plate, easily. Or elope.

December. I dislike weddings and hate being the center of attention, so we were married with just us and my mom at the courthouse, then out to dinner with family. My cousin threw us a party a couple of weeks later, which was lovely and low key, which was perfect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

January

We are celebrating 35 years in September.   We got married a few weeks before dh's senior year started.  We had been planning to get married after he graduated.  But my mother was diagnosed with ALS finally in late May and we decided to move up the wedding.  Because we were Catholics then, we could not get married until 4 months have passed.    I am so happy we didn't wait until he graduated because my mother died the following May and he didn't graduate until June. 

Oh and the cost for ours was probably a bit less than 500 but we had just family and a few friends who were in town then. 

Our date was picked based on the earliest weekend which was auspicious for wedding according to the Lunar Calendar. We were engaged in late May and the first Saturday or Sunday that was regarded as auspicious was in early November. Ours was a civil ceremony so no prep required, just needed to show up. 

No rhyme or reason as to what month I got married either time. First marriage was in March at the justice of the peace office. We separated in March 13 years later but the divorce wasn't final until August of that year. 

My current marriage we got married in December. We had not planned to get married, it just wasn't high on our list of priorities and a piece of paper didn't change anything about our relationship. It was just a formality really. We will have been married for 7 years this Sunday. We don't celebrate, half the time both of us forget until a few weeks after the fact lol. We will see if I remember since I just now realized that our anniversary is the day after tomorrow lol.

Didn't have a wedding or anything either time. I decided when I was a teenager that I did not want a wedding. Ever. They just aren't my kind of thing. 

I got married in December.  I had always imagined getting married in spring, with daffodils for my flowers, and that was what I was planning.  And then my mom chirped in, that I ought to get married earlier since then I would only be 32 when I got married instead of 33.  She was just joking, but the idea caught on, and my now DH and I thought why not go ahead and get married, so we moved it up to early December.   It was a very festive time to get married!    Unfortunately, now our anniversary is often minimalized because we have 2 birthdays in November, and then there Thanksgiving, and our anniversary falls right after that, in the midst of planning for Christmas.

18 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

I'm a November, and have to say I am a little surprised to find it is (so far) the second most popular month--and that February is far less popular, notwithstanding Valentines Day.  Huh.  Who knew?

We married in February--partly because we DON'T like Valentine's Day.  We get to celebrate our anniversary (before the 14th) instead! Since we were in So. Cal at the time, weather was not a problem and we wanted a skiing honeymoon.  Little did I know that part of the fun of a skiing trip is being able to GO to the snow and then LEAVE it behind.  Now that we live in a place with REAL winters, I sometimes long to celebrate a belated anniversary somewhere warm in the summer.  We're coming up on #38, so maybe one of these days.....   😉 

February and we regret it!  Every year, trying to find something fun to do for our anniversary when the weather is usually cold and wet!  We don't have the money to travel somewhere warm!  My daughter was thinking of a December wedding, but I told her to think about celebrating every year in the winter.  So many more options when the weather is good!  She picked June instead.

• Like 1