Menu

Independent, educational activities that require no-reading

I need some ideas for independent, educational, indoor activities for a dyslexic 2nd grader who wants to learn (and learn deeply) but is far below reading level.

I guess I could record myself reading instructions to, say, Snap Circuits, but that would take some preparation time on my part.  Can you help with any solutions until I get to that point?

Right now, he's watching how-to-draw videos on YouTube.....

Thanks in advance.

Listening along for ideas.

We use Curiosity Stream, youtube, tons of audiobooks . . . but there's still a lot of time spent with me reading stuff to them.

They are big into building (legos, knex, magna tiles, etc) and like to do that independently. They build mostly without instructions, but the instructions on these things are pictures, so they can generally follow without reading if they want to. A lot of indoor time is spent on this.

I wonder if you'd do better to ask for resources for specific things he'd like to learn about?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If he is interested and you can afford it, the EEME.co (not com) electronics kits come with video instructions. Perhaps that is too fiddly for a 2nd grader?

TheULAT.com is a Spanish language site that Wendyroo told me about recently. No reading that I have seen looking over dd's shoulder.

• Thanks 1

The snap circuits are mostly pictures.  After working through a few, he should be able to do them just looking at the instructions.   You might be able to find some good YouTube videos for them as well.

The spacial pattern part of the book "building thinking skills" could be done independently if you record instructions, they are short instructions and once you read a few they follow a pattern.

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Thinking-Skills®-Level-1/dp/1601441495/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=building+thinking+skills&qid=1576175943&sr=8-4

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ElizabethB said:

The snap circuits are mostly pictures.  After working through a few, he should be able to do them just looking at the instructions.   You might be able to find some good YouTube videos for them as well.

My non-reader was able to do snap circuits on his own from the pictures at age 7 (after having watched his older sisters do it).

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If he’s watching how to draw videos get him materials so he can DO it too as he watches 

Same with other art materials 

balance math or balance benders from Critical Thinking are pictorial

there are Sudoku variants like Colorku using color balls      Or other logic developer games like Rush Hour 

he could learn a lot from Snap Circuits just using s Kit 

or marble ramps type play kits

erector sets can be followed visually

a magnifier or microscope to examine things up close    

science and history videos

audiobooks

This is a wonderful almost all visual book

In the Beginning by Brian Delf (1995-08-01) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K13K6HC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_y4P8DbX24KQKV

I had no idea it was pop and selling for $72! 

Keeping a weather station, or observing nature, or growing indoor herbs or edible sprouts.  

Educational coloring books

a globe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1