Menu

New puppy maybe —What was I thinking

Scarlett

Jan 14, 2021 update with cute pics of Mazie on last page.  

Jan 20-2020   Getting a puppy at my age.  🙂  just kidding mostly.  She is a hand full.  My immediate question, which I need to read up on is her bitting.  I keep re directing to her toys which she likes but she keeps coming back to my skin, my hair, my clothes......I am sure this is normal but obviously is not acceptable.  In good news she slept in her crate from 10-2 last night.  I took her out and she then slept again until after 6.  She cries a bit but I put my hand down and press against her through the soft crate and shh shh her and she calms right down.  I think she will be an amazing dog, but is going to need some serious training. Now that I know she is 1/2 and half various spaniels and pointers I feel like I have a better idea of her needs.  

Edited to add.....yes i mentioned my MIL lost a pet recently.....I also mentioned my SIL thinks her mom might want one of these pups.....which she may or may not.  But I posted to see if anyone can identify this breed.  

My poor MIL....she is caregiver for FIL who is in  late stages Alzheimer.  About 4 years ago they got a rescue dog that the VA helped trained to be a comfort animal to FIL.  He really loved her.   But he is sort of out of it much of the time now....so MIL has really bonded to the dog.  She got ran over and killed this week.  MIL is devastated.  FIL hasn't even asked about the dog.  But anyway, my SIL has a co-worker who has a liter of 9 pups just born.  She is thinking her mom might want one....and she and her room mate are thinking of getting one....and she wants me to get one too, so we can have triplets...LOL.  Anyway, I am going to try and upload a pic of the pups and parents and see what y'all think.

Edited by Scarlett

your mil is grieving the death of what has been her comfort animal.  rushing out and picking someone's puppy - doesn't take into account if that dog is even an appropriate breed.  it would require her to start caring for a young puppy (very time consuming) - when she's caring for a husband with alzheimers and she's recovering from the grief of losing the previous dog.

I wouldn't recommend it.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, gardenmom5 said:

your mil is grieving the death of what has been her comfort animal.  rushing out and picking someone's puppy - doesn't take into account if that dog is even an appropriate breed.  it would require her to start caring for a young puppy (very time consuming) - when she's caring for a husband with alzheimers and she's recovering from the grief of losing the previous dog.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Oh we aren't going to get it for her or force her to.  FIL is probably very close to having to go to a nursing home.  So a dog will probably be a blessing and much wanted.  

I really meant what y'all think of the puppies.  We think there is pointer and Brittany somewhere in this mix....

35 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Maybe a nice, older rescue dog? Calm and already house trained?

That's what I was thinking, too. Not sure how old MIL is, but I'm guessing in her 70s? A puppy is probably going to live for 12-15 years, and is it realistic to think that MIL is going to be able to care for a dog for that many years? If not, what happens to the dog? It is always so sad when dogs end up at the shelter because their owner has died or become ill or moved into a nursing home.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

They are so cute!  I love the little white one with brown over both eyes!  Do you think you want one?

That is the dad of this liter as a puppy.  There is another pic of dad grown up.  I think he looks Brittany mixed which is what the owners think too.  

Thoughts:

1. Adorable.  Can I have one please?

2. Puppies are a ton of work.  Is your mom up to that?

3. Will age / type dog be too high energy for her?

3.5 Could you or the others in the potential pup adopters group include hers for exercise, training and socialization if she’s not up to it? 

4. What are the personalities of the parent dogs?

• Like 2

The mother looks like a chocolate lab or a lab mix with lab predominant, but sometimes appearances are deceiving. 

8 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Well, I will just see what my MIL thinks.....but she is very good physical condition.  And my SIL would never allow her dog to go to a shelter if something happened to MIL.  

But what do y'all think of the pups?  Do you think the mom is a lab?  

Does your MIL have suitable fencing etc?  (How did previous pldog get hit by car? ) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

The mother looks like a chocolate lab or a lab mix with lab predominant, but sometimes appearances are deceiving. 

Does your MIL have suitable fencing etc?  (How did previous pldog get hit by car? ) 

Yes she has suitable fencing.  I am not sure what happened.  Sometimes things do happen.  Anyway, I guess I gave the impression early on in my first post that I was asking what you guys thought about my MIL getting a dog....I really was just wondering what you all thought of the puppies.

Mother definitely looks Lab-ish. Dad looks like he's got some type of spaniel or possibly hound in him (the ears on the puppy pic!). Dad's chest in the adult pic reminds me of a Brittany or some of the other breeds in the pointing group.

I agree with those who said I'd be hesitant about MIL getting a puppy, especially since the parents appear to be mixes of fairly active breeds. Those pups are almost certainly going to be relatively big, muscular dogs. How big is your MIL? A general rule/guideline is that it's difficult for adults to control dogs who weigh more than one third of the adult's weight.

3 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Mother definitely looks Lab-ish. Dad looks like he's got some type of spaniel or possibly hound in him (the ears on the puppy pic!). Dad's chest in the adult pic reminds me of a Brittany or some of the other breeds in the pointing group.

I agree with those who said I'd be hesitant about MIL getting a puppy, especially since the parents appear to be mixes of fairly active breeds. Those pups are almost certainly going to be relatively big, muscular dogs. How big is your MIL? A general rule/guideline is that it's difficult for adults to control dogs who weigh more than one third of the adult's weight.

The poor dog that got killed was a sweet little mix...pointer brittany or some such.  

The owners of the pups say both parents are super sweet personalities.  But yes Brittanys I know are high energy.  I assume a pointer too. But like I said, no one will force her to get one.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Selkie said:

The puppies are cute! Just guessing here, but Mama looks she's got some lab, maybe German Shorthair? And Daddy looks like an English pointer mix.

I even thought the dad might have a bit of pit in him.  Not enough to deter me....I think he is mostly Brittany and pointer of some sort.

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I think they might get bigger than what I was first thinking.  Hmm..  My Brittany was only about 40 pounds...but if there is lab in the mix they could get a lot bigger.

The pups don't even have their eyes opened yet!  So less than 10 days old and already big.

How much do the parents weigh?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Selkie said:

How much do the parents weigh?

it's more than how much a dog weighs - it's height at the shoulders is more accurate measurement of size.   dogs can be overweight, or underweight - as well as being an appropriate weight. They can to stocky or skinny.  So going by weight can be misleading.

3 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

it's more than how much a dog weighs - it's height at the shoulders is more accurate measurement of size.   dogs can be overweight, or underweight - as well as being an appropriate weight. They can to stocky or skinny.  So going by weight can be misleading.

Well, sure but we can see both parents in the pics....neither appear to be grossly overweight or anything.  It would be a good ball park measure anyway.

• Like 2

I'd say mom is a lab or lab mix and daddy is a pit bull mix or maybe cathoula. Both big, active, energetic dogs. 

43 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yes she has suitable fencing.  I am not sure what happened.  Sometimes things do happen.  Anyway, I guess I gave the impression early on in my first post that I was asking what you guys thought about my MIL getting a dog....I really was just wondering what you all thought of the puppies.

Well, that's like asking what someone thinks of a particular dress. It totally depends where you plan to wear it, you know? I might love a sundress you show me, but if you then add that it is to wear to meet the queen at an evening black tie reception that would impact if I liked the dress. Or rather, if I liked it for that function. 

I like pretty much all dogs - but only when put in the right circumstances for that dog. So love border collies when on a farm working sheep, but not in an apartment raised by a shut in. Etc etc. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Agreed, somewhat and sometimes. But from the pictures both of the parents seem to be in pretty good shape. Plus height at the shoulders tells you . . . the height at the shoulders. There's still a big difference in weight/strength of a Greyhound versus a heavier boned/more heavily muscled dog of the same height.

ETA an example (had to look it up) -- Greyhounds range from 27-30 inches at the shoulder and weigh from 60-88 pounds. Newfies range from 25-29 inches at the shoulder and weigh from 100-150 pounds. Approximately the same height, but big difference in weight.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

I'd say mom is a lab or lab mix and daddy is a pit bull mix or maybe cathoula. Both big, active, energetic dogs. 

Well, that's like asking what someone thinks of a particular dress. It totally depends where you plan to wear it, you know? I might love a sundress you show me, but if you then add that it is to wear to meet the queen at an evening black tie reception that would impact if I liked the dress. Or rather, if I liked it for that function. 

I like pretty much all dogs - but only when put in the right circumstances for that dog. So love border collies when on a farm working sheep, but not in an apartment raised by a shut in. Etc etc. 

Right.  I was just asking what you all think the breed might be.  

Just now, Medicmom2.0 said:

My grandmother got a puppy Pomeranian just after her husband died.  Training it actually was one of the best things for her, but she was physically very healthy at the time.  That dog lived till 11 and she misses him terribly.  My mom and aunt talked her into a rescue Pomeranian for the next dog as the rescue said it was house trained and mellow.  It was neither, and it is not a good fit for her.  I’ve never seen a dog refuse to housetrain or pad train and just pee and poop all over the house like this one. The vet has said it’s fine, but this dog has been an absolute disaster for her.  I wish she’d rehome it, but she argues that no one will take a four year old Pomeranian that isn’t housetrained.  I wish she’d just gotten a puppy and let the family house or pad train it.  

If your MIL is physically able, a puppy might be good for her.  I’m not good with dog breeds, so I can’t guess what they are! They’re cute though!

My MIL is 74 but very very active and healthy. 

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Agreed, somewhat and sometimes. But from the pictures both of the parents seem to be in pretty good shape. Plus height at the shoulders tells you . . . the height at the shoulders. There's still a big difference in weight/strength of a Greyhound versus a heavier boned/more heavily muscled dog of the same height.

ETA an example (had to look it up) -- Greyhounds range from 27-30 inches at the shoulder and weigh from 60-88 pounds. Newfies range from 25-29 inches at the shoulder and weigh from 100-150 pounds. Approximately the same height, but big difference in weight.

I did talk about taking the dogs build into account.  (re: stocky vs skinny).

and a short fat dog is less likely to knock someone over than a tall skinny dog, especially if they jump on someone.  

1 hour ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

My grandmother got a puppy Pomeranian just after her husband died.  Training it actually was one of the best things for her, but she was physically very healthy at the time.  That dog lived till 11 and she misses him terribly.  My mom and aunt talked her into a rescue Pomeranian for the next dog as the rescue said it was house trained and mellow.  It was neither, and it is not a good fit for her.  I’ve never seen a dog refuse to housetrain or pad train and just pee and poop all over the house like this one. The vet has said it’s fine, but this dog has been an absolute disaster for her.  I wish she’d rehome it, but she argues that no one will take a four year old Pomeranian that isn’t housetrained. She’s in her late 80s now and worried endlessly about what will happen to this dog when she passes.  The original agreement was that either my sister or I would take her in, but she’s been vet cleared and a dog behaviorist has been involved, and I can’t take in a house dog that isn’t trained.  I wish she’d just gotten a puppy and let the family house or pad train it.  

Off topic, but have  dog diapers been tried?  I once had a ln older reRehomed dog who wasn’t housetrained, who quickly learned not to go indoors from dog diapers being put on her when she was indoors.

might not work as well in place where dog has already established habit and odor from going potty indoors

If your MIL is physically able, a puppy might be good for her.  I’m not good with dog breeds, so I can’t guess what they are! They’re cute though!

@Scarlett is there some device on daddy dog collar?  I can’t tell if it’s regular snap buckle or similar or something else like a bark controller which could indicate a behavior issue. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

That is the dad of this liter as a puppy.  There is another pic of dad grown up.  I think he looks Brittany mixed which is what the owners think too.  

The pup in the middle of the first picture has the brown over the eyes too,  that’s actually the one i’m partial too.

Fwiw, I don’t think the dad has the look of pit bull either as an adult or a pup, and I have been around a lot of pit bulls.  A long ago neighbor raised them.  That said that dad looks well muscled and strong so need to think about how much pulling you want to deal with on walks etc.  My friend has a largish springer that I can’t handle for long although I can happily walk with a Newf for hours.  Personality plays a huge role not just size.  

I don't care how cute those pups are - I can't imagine an older woman taking care of a end stage Alzheimer patient having the proper amount of time to housebreak that pup or train it without continual interruptions - unless Alzheimer patient is bed bound and unconscious most of the time.  Just no. And I certainly wouldn't do it as a surprise for her. Just no. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

The pup in the middle of the first picture has the brown over the eyes too,  that’s actually the one i’m partial too.

Fwiw, I don’t think the dad has the look of pit bull either as an adult or a pup, and I have been around a lot of pit bulls.  A long ago neighbor raised them.  That said that dad looks well muscled and strong so need to think about how much pulling you want to deal with on walks etc.  My friend has a largish springer that I can’t handle for long although I can happily walk with a Newf for hours.  Personality plays a huge role not just size.  

Hmmm I can't really see brown on any of the pups.  A couple look solid black from what is visible...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I don't care how cute those pups are - I can't imagine an older woman taking care of a end stage Alzheimer patient having the proper amount of time to housebreak that pup or train it without continual interruptions - unless Alzheimer patient is bed bound and unconscious most of the time.  Just no. And I certainly wouldn't do it as a surprise for her. Just no. 

I never said we were going to get her one and certainly did not say we were going to surprise her with one!  

9 minutes ago, Pen said:

Off topic, but have  dog diapers been tried?  I once had a ln older reRehomed dog who wasn’t housetrained, who quickly learned not to go indoors from dog diapers being put on her when she was indoors.

might not work as well in place where dog has already established habit and odor from going potty indoors

@Scarlett is there some device on daddy dog collar?  I can’t tell if it’s regular snap buckle or similar or something else like a bark controller which could indicate a behavior issue. 

Hmmmm....I see what you are seeing I think but I am pretty sure it is just a tag on his collar.

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I don't know, I am going to ask.

That momma has the same look out of her eyes as my Brittany.  

She's so pretty!

The eyes, the shape of her head, and the coloring of her front left leg make me think she might be German Shorthair mixed with lab.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think they are stinking adorable. 🙂 Momma looks like a lab and hound mix to me. Dad looks like a hound mix--maybe there is some type of coonhound in there?

I see no pit at all in the puppy picture of Dad. I think in the adult pic, it is probably mostly his coloring that gives him a slightly pit-like look, in his face only. 

I love all dogs, but this mix would be too large and too high energy for my taste, that's for sure. I like a mellow lapdog whom I can baby. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are two different styles of "pit bull", one is taller and leaner and more what I was thinking when I said pit bull. It's a more country style, vs the more urban low, squat type. 

The American Pit Bull Terrier is the type he looks more like.  

(edited to add that I don't mean that as a slight - I love pit bulls! And that one looks like a pit bull hound mix. but the strength is a huge issue when paired with an elderly woman, even on in good shape)American-Pit-Bull-Terrier-2.jpg

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Oh we aren't going to get it for her or force her to.  FIL is probably very close to having to go to a nursing home.  So a dog will probably be a blessing and much wanted.  

I really meant what y'all think of the puppies.  We think there is pointer and Brittany somewhere in this mix....

It doesn't matter how cute the puppy is. The timing is bad. I did this exact thing to my poor grandmother. I "forced" her into getting a puppy when her husband was ill. It went VERY badly.

If YOU are there to do all the things for the puppy 24/7, then it may work. If you're not, then leave it be. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wintermom said:

It doesn't matter how cute the puppy is. The timing is bad. I did this exact thing to my poor grandmother. I "forced" her into getting a puppy when her husband was ill. It went VERY badly.

If YOU are there to do all the things for the puppy 24/7, then it may work. If you're not, then leave it be. 

Good grief.  If she wants a puppy she will get one.  If she doesn’t she won’t. She is capable knowing what she wants and what she can handle. 

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Good grief.  If she wants a puppy she will get one.  If she doesn’t she won’t. She is capable knowing what she wants and what she can handle. 

People grieving can make decisions that may not be the most practical. You are obviously a supporting person, trying to help out, but the reality is that a puppy is far too much work when someone is already older and caretaking a spouse. Why not wait a year and see how things go. There are litters of puppies around all the time.

• Like 1

Tails and feet and coat could help a bit with breed guesses— like if mama has a thick Lab otter tail or a thin Pointer tail.  Or if feet have webbed toes, or if coat is double Lab coat, or single coat.  

Location too, and what breeds are common in area.

But sometimes unless it’s known or some dog DNA is run all you can do is guess.

We know our dog is a Labrador-Dalmatian Cross, but might not have ever guessed what the non Labrador part is had we not known. 

16 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

There are two different styles of "pit bull", one is taller and leaner and more what I was thinking when I said pit bull. It's a more country style, vs the more urban low, squat type. 

The American Pit Bull Terrier is the type he looks more like.  

(edited to add that I don't mean that as a slight - I love pit bulls! And that one looks like a pit bull hound mix. but the strength is a huge issue when paired with an elderly woman, even on in good shape)American-Pit-Bull-Terrier-2.jpg

Yes!  That is a bit of what I saw in his face.  I am not against pit either.....especially a mix.  Stupid people have ruined the breeds reputation though.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Selkie said:

His head reminds me of a pointer like the one in this picture:

https://projectupland.com/hunting-dogs/bird-hunting-dog-breeds/english-pointer-2/

Scarlett, get some doggy DNA tests done so this mystery can be solved!😉

The Daddy looks like he may well have some American or English Pointer and the Mamma like she could have some German Shorthair Pointer. 

The Daddy by shape looks as puppy a lot like our Labrador Dalmatian did when he was a puppy.  The oversized ear look, for example.  Our pup had a broader, flatter forehead , this guy had more of a stop and high area as a puppy more like a setter or spaniel often does

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2