Granny_Weatherwax

What is on top of your tree?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What is on top of your tree?

• Angel
    • Star
    • Other (please state in comments)
    • Nothing

My DH's chiropractor has a trivia board and monthly contest for his patients. Last week's question was 

"What is the most popular Christmas Tree topper?" DH submitted his guess, star, and was incorrect. The correct answer was angel.

DH was surprised because of the culture shift away from religion and figured the star is a more neutral topper despite the religious significance.

The last few times DH and I have taken our evening walk we look at every tree we can see and track what is on top. Our counts are:

Angel - 8

Star - 23

Other - 3

Cannot determine - 7 (we cannot see the top of the tree or cannot decide what it is)

No topper - 1

Edited by The Accidental Coach
  • Like 1

I change what is on top of my tree depending on how creative I am feeling and how much time I gave myself to decorate.

Last year I made a topper with two huge pine cones with rustic/burlap ribbon and small, rusty country stars.

This year I went with my standard Victorian era style lady. She's not an angel (no wings) but has a long flowing ivory gown.

• Like 1

DH and I actually had a disagreement about this when we were first married (also one about colored lights vs. white lights). 🙂 His family had always had an angel and mine had always had a star. He maintained that the star was more secular, and I was like, what in the world?!? "A star will come out of Jacob; a scepter will rise out of Israel," "we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him," etc. Plus most of the Christmas angels I've seen--while very pretty--aren't very Biblical looking. They really ought to be masculine, IMO. And a probably a bit scary. 🙂 

I like that stars light up, too, and that's what we have now. However, we have the angel from his family's tree, and she is prominently displayed.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, parent said:

We have a small pipe clamp to attach our star to the tree.

Yeah but the top of ours is a frail little twig of a limblet. It bent over when I tried using a zip tie to attach one of the toppers.

Edited by Pawz4me
Yeah, in case anyone's wondering--I made "limblet" up. I guess. ;)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have two sets of ornaments - I have done two trees and part of me would like to do so again.

My "eclectic" traditional tree (school crafts projects => Christopher radko => family heirlooms) has a german wax angel my mother bought in Germany.

My perfectly homogenized snowflake/winter themed tree - has a lighted crystal star.  (previously I had a plastic "Waterford-style" traditional shape tree topper that I'd try to shove a light into.)

• Like 2

This year, it's an Absol Pokemon, which looks sort of like an angel dog. Our heritage topper is a lighted star, but between young cats and children, I think we've used it twice in 20 years or so. 

• Like 3

I have a star.  It's from a beaded ornament kit I made when I was in college.  It took over 40 hours to make this one item.  My kids know that it will be on my tree until I die.

It's this but mine is more gold colored.

https://www.crackerboxkits.com/ViewItem.aspx?ID=259

All my ornaments are also handmade (and mostly beaded) but none are as intricate as the star is.

• Like 6

We have a homemade star made of card stock, which is light enough to not provoke our little artificial (24" tabletop) tree. ETA: Our nativity scene is next to the tree, so the star on the tree works as a big star up above the stable (slightly anachronistic: the star is already up even though the stable contains only animals).

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, MercyA said:

DH and I actually had a disagreement about this when we were first married (also one about colored lights vs. white lights). 🙂 His family had always had an angel and mine had always had a star. He maintained that the star was more secular, and I was like, what in the world?!? "A star will come out of Jacob; a scepter will rise out of Israel," "we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him," etc. Plus most of the Christmas angels I've seen--while very pretty--aren't very Biblical looking. They really ought to be masculine, IMO. And a probably a bit scary. 🙂 

I like that stars light up, too, and that's what we have now. However, we have the angel from his family's tree, and she is prominently displayed.

my husband and I had a disagreement (Same difference. His family had angels, mine had stars) We solved it by going out to by a topper and the one we found was a angel. It does light up (fiber optics) but it is NOT biblical looking at all.

• Like 2

We don't have anything on the top because I can't find a topper I love and I don't want to buy something that's just ok. Our ornaments are eclectic and meaningful but not necessarily pretty and definitely not coordinated, so it's hard to find one I like that also goes with the hodgepodge well.

• Like 5

We got an angel for our first Christmas tree the year we got married.  It lasted for quiet a few years, but eventually it broke.  We got an inexpensive star to replace it.  I find just as much religious significance in the star as the angel.

• Like 2

We have a white and red Christmas teddy bear on top of our tree!😂 When we first got married and put up our first Christmas tree, we realized we didn't have anything to put on top. We saw a bear that my MIL had given us and it had arms that could wrap around something, so we put it on top and laughed. We've put it up there every year since. He's not quite as clean and white as he was 30+ years ago, but he's tradition now.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

OMG we had one of those when I was a kid. I don't know what happened to it but I think it probably broke and my mother replaced it with something else.

I know -- it is getting SOOOO fragile! But I love this thing -- the great early 60s retro look and those yummy colors -- that soft teal!

• Like 3

Just now, Lori D. said:

I know -- it is getting SOOOO fragile! But I love this thing -- the great early 60s retro look and those yummy colors -- that soft teal!

Yes, I remember breaking a bunch of these kinds of decorations as a kid. Warm and fuzzy memories of mom going nuts! 😂🥶

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, the real question is which study did the chiropractor use for the data?

😁

(Currently we have a bow on our tree. It's because this year we're using a set that my dd got from her grandmother. Often, we have no tree topper that we use. I have two beautiful snowmen glass toppers, but both are really too tall to fit properly on top of our tree. And the "tube" on the bottom of each is really too narrow to fit over the top branch. Next year, I'm going to have to see about rigging up a way to tie/clamp/otherwise attaching one based on some comments in this thread.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

OMG we had one of those when I was a kid. I don't know what happened to it but I think it probably broke and my mother replaced it with something else.

My mom had a bunch of those on her tree, but she didn't use them as toppers.  She put a pipe cleaner in them and hung them as ornaments upside-down. Don't know why I'm using the past tense - she still has them on the tree every year! 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I’d like an angel but they’re always female. I feel the same as @MercyA about angels, except he needs to look friendly, lol.  I don’t want a judgy angel looking down on me while I eat Christmas sweets.  Although...maybe that’s an idea to lose weight.  Hmmm... 

This one looks like he'd look the other way, LOL.  Too bad he is sold!

image.thumb.png.3d0d9bb0c4d0d528161420daf99b3b3c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Other. It was my parent's first tree-topper -- a 1960 space-age design of blown glass:

ornament 1.jpg

ornament 2.jpg

Oh my goodness!  We have almost the same one, but without the green.  More gold and red.  Our box still has the price tag on it for $1.39.  That’s the one we are using this year.  I’ll try to get a pic, but I’ve already packed the box away.  Same box, I think.  🙂

We rotate toppers, depending on our mood.  We have the above, and a really cool metal elephant that’s holding up a star, and an old world Father Christmas.  We’ve used a Santa hat, too.  I grew up with an angel.

• Like 3

Currently we have a star that has a disco ball effect. It is ridiculous, and my husband loves nothing so much as the ridiculous, lol. The first year we got it we put on rave music and had the kids dance, lol. Before the disco star we had an angel that we found in the attic of the house when we bought it. I grew up with an angel. 

• Like 2

We have 7 trees. (I know— we’re crazy!)

Main tree— Angel 

DD #1 tree— Star 

DD #2 tree— Snowflake

Snowman-themed tree— Snowman hat

Nutcracker-themed tree— Nutcracker topper

Sugared fruit and flower themed tree— Poinsettia topper

Red and white peppermint candy themed tree— No topper

• Like 3