Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

Legendary Threads- link your favs

In another thread there were references to threads of old and all of the great advice. Unfortunately a lot of the links/bookmarks have gone dead and are now hard to find. I thought it would be helpful to link what you consider your most useful threads  if you have live links. I know many/most may be "archived" and closed to new comments, but they're still amazing reads and for newer members this might be a helpful start, and we can always resurrect the topics into new threads with new insights/input/participants. 

Here are some of the ones I have marked that still work. Please add in your own favorites. These are in no particular order or grouping. 

Quark's Math thread- "Designing a non-traditional math course for a math-loving, structure- hating child"

Memory Work 101

Does anyone here teach writing without a curriculum

8FilltheHeart.......regarding the writing thread.....

I am going to repost an old post that impacted me greatly in the past (CC)

Why you should work on TWTM skills

Use the curriculum that gets done not the one that you want

My evaluation of numerous writing curricula

Veteran moms of many, share your wisdom please

Looking to do some *relaxed* math here, want to share ideas?

Interest driven education and *real* tea-time

What's wrong with historical fiction (Circe people)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I found this discussion today when searching for the 4 Hallmarks. The discussion and links are thought-provoking. 

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 2

Back when the board switched over, OtherJohn got the board to do this exact thing.  The thread of threads is still linked to the top of  the site news and discussion. ETA: but I checked a bunch of links and they are all dead!  sigh. I wanted to read the ones by Ester Maria.  I wonder how easy it would be to track these down. Some with actual names can be searched for but many people just posted without subject headers so no way to know what was good. Why did all the links die?

My favorite is the depth vs breadth thread.  Will go try to find it.  There was also one on Multum non multa. But I don't know its name.  Hopefully someone will have them.

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have these ones bookmarked 💜💜💜

My oldest was 5/6 ish at the time of these threads. Those posters really helped me grow as a homeschooler!

Edited by LMD
  • Like 3

You found the Circe Thread!  Yea!  I want to re-read that one.  And thanks for bookmarking mine. 🙂 The little boy in the photo is now 16, and 5 foot 10! haha. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 4

Found a bunch of good ones including the infamous breadth vs depth thread! 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, you can find most of the links like Ruth posted by going to the individual forum main pages and in the right corner select "sort by."  If you select most replies or most views, you can find most of the big threads.

(Last night I used to google to search for threads with key words like Draconian, Jane in NC, Ester Maria, and then other posters' names that came up in some of those threads.  Wow.  Miss the wisdom that was posted by those knowledgeable and experienced women.  They were some very serious educators who knew how to post in fun, too.)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, lewelma said:

...Back when the board switched over, OtherJohn got the board to do this exact thing.  The thread of threads is still linked to the top of  the site news and discussion. ETA: but I checked a bunch of links and they are all dead!  sigh...

That's why I now add the date and name of the original poster and date of the first post along with the title of the post in all of those links in the High School and College Motherlode threads at the top of the high school and college boards.

[A little over a year ago, I spent a month going through those threads and testing every link, and adding the original poster/date for every thread, as well as re-linking the "dead" threads, and updating with new threads of interest. Oy! What a pain!]

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

FWIW, you can find most of the links like Ruth posted by going to the individual forum main pages and in the right corner select "sort by."  If you select most replies or most views, you can find most of the big threads.

(Last night I used to google to search for threads with key words like Draconian, Jane in NC, Ester Maria, and then other posters' names that came up in some of those threads..

Super helpful search tip! Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

That's why I now add the date and name of the original poster and date of the first post along with the title of the post in all of those links in the High School and College Motherlode threads at the top of the high school and college boards.

Great idea! I have all my threads that I like and want to remember collected in a super thread, and I need to go do the same so I don't lose them. This board becomes like a diary if you have been here long enough, but broken links arrrgh!

Thanks so much for spending the time to clean up those other links! 

The other thing I have found is that a thread is archived based on how long since the LAST post, not based on the first post.  So there are threads that you can still post on that are from 2012. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lewelma said:

The other thing I have found is that a thread is archived based on how long since the LAST post, not based on the first post.  So there are threads that you can still post on that are from 2012. 

👍

That's why I try and post every so often on some of those "golden oldie" threads, to keep them alive -- not to mention that it bumps the thread up for all-new eyes to see. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

(Last night I used to google to search for threads with key words like Draconian, Jane in NC, Ester Maria, and then other posters' names that came up in some of those threads.  Wow.  Miss the wisdom that was posted by those knowledgeable and experienced women.  They were some very serious educators who knew how to post in fun, too.)

This is how I have spent wayyyyyy too much of my time😂. This imight ruffle feathers, but my favorite threads are these:

SO may people here do CC and I still cannot get my head around their "product." These threads make me feel like I am not alone. I found them by searching for "most replies".

• Like 2

Both Quarks' math thread and Nan in Mass' TWTM thread are at the top of my list. I've also been going back to this thread by Gil often: 

Also, I'm following this thread to check out the posts that others list. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Feeling awkward about self promotion 😎 and it is definitely not a legendary thread, but my thread on Explicitly Teaching Executive Function Skills somehow got pinned to the top of this board. In it I discuss how I have helped my high-functioning low-EF boys how to actually learn.  

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 3