Menu

Music Streaming Question -- customized playlists??

TheReader

So, with iTunes you could make a playlist of songs you owned. Do any of the streaming services (Amazon music, Spotify, etc.) allow anything like this? Where you could select specific songs and save them as a playlist or channel or something? 

DH has asked me, out of the blue one day, "Do any songs (on the radio) make you think of me?"  

So, after I stopped laughing (because, ummm, YES. I'm so lyrically tuned in, that honestly, I hear pieces of him in....a LOT....of the stuff I listen to), I started naming off songs. Ten+ songs in, I think he realized that "Gee, she thinks of me *a lot* while listening to the radio...."  Yes, yes I do. 

BUT, I thought maybe I could create for him, as a "gift", a playlist on Spotify or something (since iTunes is gone/going away) that would be the "Reader thinks of Chemist when she hears these songs" playlist. 

Only, I just pretty much listen to CDs &/or the regular radio, &/or my old iPod still loaded with music we can no longer tweak, b/c no more iTunes. 

Is there a way to do this??? He has a Spotify account, and streaming on Amazon through Amazon Prime (but not a Amazon Music Unlimited account) (though I could spring for that if it has the capability). And he listens to iHeartRadio online a lot. And buys songs on Amazon and downloads to his phone (maybe I have to do it that way?? Buy the songs and then he creates a list in his phone?? He has an iPhone.....is there a way in the Music app to do this, like there used to be in iTunes...?)

Help a girl out, folks....surely there's a way to do this, right???

• Like 1

We do this all the time with Amazon music. We have Amazon prime, and also Amazon Music Unlimited. You can get a decent playlist with just Prime, but we like the unlimited, and it doesn't seem to cost that much extra. 

1. Download the free Amazon Music app for his iPhone in the App Store.

2. Log onto his Amazon account in the Amazon Music app. 

3. Search for the songs you like, and when they come up, click on the three dots to the right of the song. It will give you the option of adding to a playlist. Click on that, and you also have the option to create a new playlist.

4. Once you have created the playlist, just keep adding songs to it using the three dots and "Add to playlist."

We are apple people, but iTunes was really hard to use, and we gave up in frustration. We love Amazon Music. Hope that helps.

• Like 3

Just now, Tiberia said:

We do this all the time with Amazon music. We have Amazon prime, and also Amazon Music Unlimited. You can get a decent playlist with just Prime, but we like the unlimited, and it doesn't seem to cost that much extra. 

3. Search for the songs you like, and when they come up, click on the three dots to the right of the song. It will give you the option of adding to a playlist. Click on that, and you also have the option to create a new playlist.

4. Once you have created the playlist, just keep adding songs to it using the three dots and "Add to playlist."

We are apple people, but iTunes was really hard to use, and we gave up in frustration. We love Amazon Music. Hope that helps.

thank you!!! Yes, he has the Amazon music app. I'll print this out and see if I can do this. Yay!!! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BlueGables said:

I have playlists made by me on Spotify.

Is it easy to do? Hard to do? Easy for a non-Spotify user to figure out? (hmm, probably I can ask my teen, actually.....)

It's good to know they have the option as well so I can use whichever has most of the music! Thank you!

• Like 1

I have loads of Amazon playlists. My daughter uses Spotify and makes custom playlists all the time.  

I am not sure about  making Spotify playlists if you are not a subscriber. Nonsubscribers are pretty limited in what they can access, if I recall correctly.  But maybe you mean you could access his account, so... never mind. 🙂

Edited by marbel

17 minutes ago, marbel said:

I have loads of Amazon playlists. My daughter uses Spotify and makes custom playlists all the time.  

I am not sure about  making Spotify playlists if you are not a subscriber. Nonsubscribers are pretty limited in what they can access, if I recall correctly.  But maybe you mean you could access his account, so... never mind. 🙂

Yes, I would use his account to set it up. Thank you! My teen should be able to help me figure it out. 

I have several Amazon playlists and a few Pandora playlists. We just have Prime, not Amazon Music Unlimited, and I use the free version of Pandora. I've never found Spotify easy to use but that could just be because I never spent any time with it. Ds 22 uses YouTube to make playlists but I have no idea how he does it. AFAIK he doesn't have YouTube Music.

• Thanks 1

DW has various Playlists on YouTube. She told me, several days ago, one of those Playlists she has had since she was 14 years old. It was on Cassette Tape in those days.

Several months ago, she bought herself a new cell phone (that was something she really needed)  and that day, when she was in the superstore (Alkosto) she also bought a BOSE speaker.   Some mornings when she is preparing Breakfast, she will hook the BOSE speaker to her phone. The Sound quality, with the BOSE speaker, of the music from her phone is awesome. Consider buying one of those, for your DH, in addition to giving him the Playlists.

4 minutes ago, Lanny said:

DW has various Playlists on YouTube. She told me, several days ago, one of those Playlists she has had since she was 14 years old. It was on Cassette Tape in those days.

Several months ago, she bought herself a new cell phone (that was something she really needed)  and that day, when she was in the superstore (Alkosto) she also bought a BOSE speaker.   Some mornings when she is preparing Breakfast, she will hook the BOSE speaker to her phone. The Sound quality, with the BOSE speaker, of the music from her phone is awesome. Consider buying one of those, for your DH, in addition to giving him the Playlists.

That's an idea; he usually listens to his phone music while in the car, but has been saying he'd like something for listening at home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheReader said:

That's an idea; he usually listens to his phone music while in the car, but has been saying he'd like something for listening at home. 

OP: Follow-on. When she was preparing our Lunch, I told DW about this thread. She said the BOSE speaker she has is the least expensive one (or one of the least expensive ones).  It is quite awesome and can work in various ways, including with her PC or the SMART TV, or, I think, independently. She said one of the neighbors we are friendly with has one that is smaller, has a battery and can run about 2.5 hours on the battery and is more expensive.

In the car, your DH would need some way to have his music in the car audio system so that he wouldn't be using Data.

She does not like Spotify. She said they are constantly trying to get her to pay. She said that iTunes is much better, has lots of content, and few if any attempts to try to get her to pay for their service. If she was going to pay, I believe that she would pay for the YouTube service, which at today's exchange rate would be approximately $4.50 USD per month. (does that include taxes?)

She really raves about her BOSE speaker so that might be a gift that your DH would enjoy.

CORRECTION:   My DW doesn't use iTunes. That is for Apple products. We are in the Google world, with Android. She uses TuneIn.  I clarified that with her, because my Backup Laptop is now running Windows 10 and I have TuneIn on it.  When I had Spotify on my Android  phone, I think it used a lot of battery, so I uninstalled it.

Here's the link for TuneIn:   https://tunein.com/

When I looked at the TuneIn Home page, to get that URL, I remembered that I had listened to a UNC Football game that was on TuneIn, a month or so ago, on my Laptop. Probably on this Laptop, which is running MX Linux.

She said that with Spotify they put a commercial or a "please upgrade" between every song or between most songs and that TuneIn doesn't do that very often.

The BOSE Speaker that DW has can work over WiFi or BlueTooth or connected via cable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheReader said:

Is it easy to do? Hard to do? Easy for a non-Spotify user to figure out? (hmm, probably I can ask my teen, actually.....)

It's good to know they have the option as well so I can use whichever has most of the music! Thank you!

I figured it out by myself, if that tells you anything😃. I'm not techy by nature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Woah. If itunes goes away, how do I listen to my apple music stuff anymore?

I am not sure; I read an article a while ago about it disappearing; we don't still have iTunes on any of our computers (we've moved/changed computers a lot since we first had it), but do still have 2 iPods with music on them. I have no idea if we can still access iTunes right now, or it's already gone, and once it's gone, how to interface the iPod to the computer. 

I do know the article said there would still be a way to use your music, maybe it would migrate to the new Music app on iPhone? Or something? But not sure about cross-device stuff, etc. 

3 hours ago, Lanny said:

CORRECTION:   My DW doesn't use iTunes. That is for Apple products. We are in the Google world, with Android. She uses TuneIn.  I clarified that with her, because my Backup Laptop is now running Windows 10 and I have TuneIn on it.  When I had Spotify on my Android  phone, I think it used a lot of battery, so I uninstalled it.

Here's the link for TuneIn:   https://tunein.com/

When I looked at the TuneIn Home page, to get that URL, I remembered that I had listened to a UNC Football game that was on TuneIn, a month or so ago, on my Laptop. Probably on this Laptop, which is running MX Linux.

She said that with Spotify they put a commercial or a "please upgrade" between every song or between most songs and that TuneIn doesn't do that very often.

The BOSE Speaker that DW has can work over WiFi or BlueTooth or connected via cable.

thanks; this is something I'll look into. 

DH hasn't said anything about Spotify being a problem, but I'll ask. 

For the car, his car has bluetooth so he just connects the phone over the audio system in the car, via bluetooth, and listens that way (and mostly in the car he listens to things he has downloaded, but also uses Amazon & Spotify that way with no problem). 

On 12/9/2019 at 5:02 PM, Tiberia said:

Steps 3 and 4 are the same for Spotify. We had the free version, but dh wanted to download music to play on his way home, so we have monthly subscription now. It's very easy to use and when we had a problem, customer service was very helpful.

I wish Spotify would offer other songs with similar music styles to the ones I like. Pandora does this well, but Spotify doesn't seem to do this. I'm getting tired of the same music playlists.

• Like 1