Menu

Vegan for beginners

bethben

I would like to add vegan recipes to our mix of meals with the thought of being 50% or more a vegetarian family eventually.  Vegan because I can eat eggs or dairy mostly.  This has got to be “vegan for people who need to learn to like a variety of vegetables” type recipes.  For example, telling me how great eggplant is and here are a bunch of tasty ways to cook eggplant won’t fly at my home.  I’m thinking stuff like a vegan “meatball” or some such thing.  I looked at all the vegetarian meat substitutes at the health food store and a lot of them have unrecognizable ingredients or added sugar.  I need a starting place.  I can do soup, but everything else is evading me.

I've been vegetarian for decades & have moved to being mostly vegan (whole foods, plant based, little to no added oils) recently (due to huge cholesterol issues which this style of eating has helped w/ a ton).

My favorite places for good-tasting, easy to make recipes:

https://cleanfooddirtygirl.com/

https://monkeyandmekitchenadventures.com/

I have tried plenty of recipes from other sites & had varying amounts of success (in producing the recipe, the taste, etc.). The two I linked have consistently given me doable, tasty results. (I actually subscribe to the meal plans from the Clean Food Dirty Girl website because I'm not a cook & hate all the planning & such that goes along w/ it.)

Here are some of our favorites (and we're not vegan):

• homemade pizza (or cheesy cauliflower pizza casserole) with Miyoko's mozzarella, topped with pineapple or roma tomatoes
  • I do vegan Mexican-ish by omitting sour cream (I like guacamole) and cheese (use a plant-based one if desired), and cooking black beans with onion and spices, served with tortillas or tortilla chips, salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, and sometimes corn and/or sweet potatoes. And if I want to be fancy, roasted pineapple is great with it!
  • veggie stir-fry with lots of peanuts (to make sure there's enough fat, or it's not filling) and rice
  • no-crab cakes - Vegetarian as written; I haven't tried them with an egg replacer yet, but everything else works, so I would expect good results. Miyoko's butter works well.
  • smoked apple veggie burgers (We had these tonight, actually.)
  • French lentils with mushrooms and kale, which sounds like I wouldn't like it a bit, but everything takes on the flavor of lemon, garlic, and thyme.

These are all also gluten-free (We use Bob's Red Mill GF pizza mix with the flax egg option, and Siete almond flour tortillas or Late July chips, and gf bread crumbs), alcohol-free, and, if you use coconut aminos instead of tamari or soy sauce, can be soy-free.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 1

I'll give a shout out for www.fatfreevegan.com

I love Colleen's Chickpea Burgers

BBQ Black Eye Pea Burgers

Berbere Stew  (I have seen berbere spice in the bulk section of health food stores, but the included recipe is better, imo)

Ethiopian Green Beans and Potatoes

Lentil and Cauliflower Rice Tacos (add salsa and guacamole)

Someone mentioned Engine 2 earlier.  I love the New York Times Veggie Burger.  Top it with gaucamole and it's to die for.

I don't understand buying those grocery store fake burgers when, with a food processor, it's easy to make a variety of delicious burgers with healthy, recognizable ingredients.

Lentil Tacos (I use red lentils and vegetable broth)

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 2

Veggie pizzas or burrito bowls with some well seasoned beans and lots of toppings seem like an easy start.  Veggie soup is nice. Make your stock with leeks and it’s surprisingly satisfying as a savory soup base. 

I’d do component meals so yours can be vegan but everyone else can have cheese. Vegetarian alone will be a hard enough sell in the beginning.