Menu

Is anyone else in denial that the have to DO Christmas?

KungFuPanda

I have barely started.  Barely.  I'm in so much trouble this year.  I haven't pulled out the first decorations and I have a few unopened Amazon boxes in my living room.  That's it.  I really need the panic monkey to show up right about now.  😬 I think this is the age where we can transition to trips instead but nobody else wants to travel!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

We are 12 days from leaving for Australia. I’ve been putting the trip on the back burner until finishing my piano recital/teaching semester, and I’m definitely feeling overwhelmed. 

Yep no decorations nothing.  The shopping is done but only because I don't buy much and I order it all online.  Was going to take the kids to santa this weekend than everyone but the baby got the stomach flu.  Plus DH is working night shift on Christmas so we were planning to celebrate early so we are only 12 days out.

You have any monkeys at home to help you? The one I used to have is in college and the other that I'd borrow has a full time job! So yeah, it's just me and I'm going slowly, room by room. If I go slow enough, I might not have too much to clean up, lol. 

Nice thing is, it finally occurred to me I could have a NO NERF DARTS ON THE MAIN FLOOR OF THE HOUSE rule. Like seriously, maybe it's my Christmas present to myself, maybe permanent? I don't know yet, lol. Guess it depends how much I like it. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Nice thing is, it finally occurred to me I could have a NO NERF DARTS ON THE MAIN FLOOR OF THE HOUSE rule. Like seriously, maybe it's my Christmas present to myself, maybe permanent? I don't know yet, lol. Guess it depends how much I like it. :biggrin:

LOL!  We gave Nerf guns to all the kids at the extended family get-together one year, and their dads took them over to re-live their childhood sibling rivalry in a kinder, gentler fashion.  Darts were everywhere.  After that, my MIL put the "no Nerf" rule into effect, but those little darts are sneaky and find their way into the strangest spots.  She kept finding them for years.  

• Haha 3

we got the tree up this weekend.  dh put his candle lights on it last night.  I had told him I wasn't sitting around waiting for him to do it, and I wasn't doing it.  now - I get to decorate the tree . . . . . 

I'm mostly done shopping, everything needs to be wrapped.  I still don't have the advent calendar out.  I have the boxes for one nativity - the other one is still in the garage.  I did make dh clear his stuff off the table where I put my Costco nativity.

8 minutes ago, klmama said:

LOL!  We gave Nerf guns to all the kids at the extended family get-together one year, and their dads took them over to re-live their childhood sibling rivalry in a kinder, gentler fashion.  Darts were everywhere.  After that, my MIL put the "no Nerf" rule into effect, but those little darts are sneaky and find their way into the strangest spots.  She kept finding them for years.  

dsil had nerf guns on their wedding registry.  it was the first thing to "sell out".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our bare tree is just sitting there.  Half our outdoor lights burned out so are unplugged awaiting replacement.  We normally switch to Christmas dishes at Thanksgiving but haven't.  I like to have everything decorated at least between St. Nicholas day 12/6 and Epiphany 1/6.

The big shopping stress is for a family party on 12/22.   It's a grab bag with the note of "consumables".  We need four gifts and I'm struggling to think of fun things that aren't sure to be repeated.

*faints*

Our 2 artificial (pre-lit) trees are up and staring at me.  I have about 6 ornaments so far one of them -- LOL.  Not feeling it this year, but it will get done.  So many boxes of stuff to decorate with in my family room.

I am very behind on shopping.  Normally I get a good start in August, but not this year or last (my dad ended up needed so much help last year I barely remember Christmas).  

It will get done, but not really in the mood.  Would like to go on a cruise for Christmas this year -- LOL. 

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

You have any monkeys at home to help you? The one I used to have is in college and the other that I'd borrow has a full time job! So yeah, it's just me and I'm going slowly, room by room. If I go slow enough, I might not have too much to clean up, lol. 

I hate nerf guns. Hate hate hate. Finding bullets everywhere is bad enough. But every so often (too often, really) someone shoots someone else point blank in the face, looks shocked and surprised when their sibling stars screaming in pain, and then I throw all the guns in the garbage. The nerf guns always come back somehow. You'd think the kids would learn not to spend their money on them with the way they "disappear."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are not doing much this year.  We just don't have it in us to do a whole lot.  The boys will get a few things they requested, mostly ordered on Amazon, and then they will get $$ which I am sure they will appreciate.  Then they can do whatever they want with it.

We don't do much for outside of our immediate family.  I need a few coworker gifts and a couple of friends, but, otherwise, we are not going overboard.

• Like 1

Nothing done here except 2 wreaths bought and sent. I will send everything to my boys via Amazon probzbly tomorrow. No clue what to do for dh. Not able or willing to buy dd clothes as usually as she has changed in some ways and I can't do that. Not sure what else to get for others. 

Oh well. 

For the past several years, I have had a separate tree in my Sunroom that is alternately referred to as “the silver tree” (because the decorations are almost all silver or glass) or “mom’s tree, because it’s the one I decorate entirely myself. Well, this year, we had a debacle with the lights and I don’t want to move my knitting stuff from the sunroom, so I just decided not to put it up. Only the boys missed that memo and brought the tree up from the basement and it’s hogging half my Sunroom. Then ds went back to college and dh severely pulled his back out so I still have a boxed artificial tree hogging up my sunroom. 

I really want it to go away before parties (two of them) happen here! 

But I am done almost all shopping.* I am on the tail end of finishing a gift I am making. Need to get that done for a gift exchange this Friday! 

*The main reason why this is true is because my boys want such expensive technology gifts, it took a few clicks to be finished. And dd got part of her Christmas budget before she left for France so she could have a packable coat and a pair of boots. 

I'm glad I started early and I do things the easy way, my oldest and her husband decided last week to move here before Christmas. I'm flying to Ohio the Friday before Christmas to help them pack and driving with them to arrive home on the evening of Dec. 23rd. We've been looking at apartments here in the area for them.

I only put up a fake tree, wreath, stockings, and Christmassy throw pillows. Ta da! It took 3 hours because fluffing a fake tree is a time suck. Now I'm going to figure out easy meals to prep or buy ahead of time and have on hand. Middle daughter can host if we need her to. I have a few more things to order from Amazon and I'm done.

Not having littles make Christmas easier. Not as charming and sweet, but easier.

• Like 1

Well, I am trying to get excited as it is the first year we are planning to just stay home since my kids were 3/4.  We are hoping to get our first natural tree, go to the Christmas Eve service at church, be at the grandparents' house when the cousins are there.... 

At the same time, I am super busy and stressed out with year-end work / work backlog / housework backlog.  And the kids still have school until next Friday.  I probably need to schedule dental appointments for after that ....

So far all I've done to get the house ready was to bring up the Christmas books, and we started listening to some Christmassy audiobooks in the car and some Christmas music.  We have a lot of crap in the house that we need to move in order to even think about getting a tree.  We also want to decorate the porch railings now that we have cut down all the overgrown bushes.  But we haven't bought the decorations yet.  Oh yeah, I did buy a few Tinker Crate holiday crates and an Oreo gingerbread house, which my kids played with last weekend.  And we still have a couple of Nativity sets around the house from last year that we never put away.

I over-bought for one kid's October birthday (she told me at the last minute that she wanted air pods), so I put aside one big gift and a couple small ones for her.  She doesn't really want anything, so until she comes up with a "list," she's done.

I came up with a surprise for my other kid, and already bought that.  She also has a long wish list which we'll break up among various adults (this part has not started yet).

I think I'm done buying for the extended family, other than gift cards.  For the adults, I bought a bunch of wallets and some fun wallet-sized tools, combs, mirrors, and magnifying glasses.  (And the gift cards will go in with all that.)  For the teens and kids, I bought some creative stuff and Lego stuff and some carrying bags.  I bought some drawstring bags for wrapping these gifts ... some have not come yet.  Wrapping the extended family gifts is often my biggest job at Christmas time.

We have tickets to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra after Christmas.  I also plan to see a friend's live nativity before Christmas.  The kids want to go to cooking camp over break.  We have also talked about maybe visiting some friends who live near Philadelphia.

When I think about all of this, I kind of get into the spirit.  But then when I pull my head out of my butt and think about work, it fizzles, LOL.  The ever-shortening days are not helping either.

We are getting there.

Indoor lights went up as we were putting Halloween decorations away - we all love the indoor lights.  Outdoor lights went up before Thanksgiving.

The kids' (4' artificial) tree is up and decorated, and re-decorated, and re-decorated; my main goal with that one is sensory/therapy/interactive fun with sturdy, non-sentimental ornaments.

The big tree is up and lit, with the train set up around it.  It still needs to be decorated, but that is a fun, yet very, very stressful activity for my kids, so I need to choose my timing very carefully.

All the gift shopping is done.  Yesterday I knew we were going to be inundated with Amazon boxes, so I took the kids to my parents' house to play ping-pong and celebrate my dad's birthday, and DH worked from home and hid the boxes as they arrived.  I'm still expecting two packages in the coming days, but hopefully they will all be here by Friday so that DH and I can spend some evening time over the weekend wrapping.

This weekend my main goal has to be preparing the house for parties and guests.  We are hosting my extended family for a party on the 21st, which also happens to be DH's birthday.  Then we will have my parents, my in-laws, and my brother and his girlfriend staying over from the 21st until after Christmas.  So: party food, preparing the house for a large meal, shopping and prepping to feed a crowd for 5ish days, etc.

Then, next week my highest priority has to be maintaining my kids' consistent routine.  The anxiety associated with the holidays will start to flare as we get closer and closer, and they will desperately need the reassuring routine of school and chores (and not too much free time in which to fret and become disregulated).  This will be hard, because I will have a thousand things I need to get done, and the temptation to just "let them play" will be high, but they will be in a head-space where they need much more consistency and external structure, not less.  So, hopefully, a regular schedule next week will help them stay calm and regulated and set them up for success during the stress of the party, guests, holiday, etc.

Another naked tree here.  It’s been staring at us for a week.  

Two kids with the flu, FIL in hospital, my injured, elderly mom living in our guest room needing lots of care, and DH out of the country.  I’m fighting the sense that I’m also coming down with the flu.  Ugh.  I so don’t want to pull out ornament boxes.

Or lights.  Gaaaah, I love outdoor lights!  Not this year, though.

I have been online shopping, so the dining room looks like shipping and receiving, but unlike past years with detailed lists ... I have no idea what’s in those boxes!

My fantasy is to throw all the Amazon boxes under the tree and we can open those on Xmas morning, make a guessing game of the intended recipient, and exchange the gifts when 15 yr old gets a doll and 8 yr old gets a Hot Topic t-shirt.  New tradition!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

One thing I did last year was buy myself a bunch of reusable drawstring bags in different sizes for gifts. When a box arrives, I open it, stick it in a bag, and pin a nametag on it (and I am mostly reusing those from last year too). I did it last year for environmental reasons and to support a local person who was making and selling the bags, but it has helped this year a lot. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Two kids with the flu, FIL in hospital, my injured, elderly mom living in our guest room needing lots of care, and DH out of the country.  I’m fighting the sense that I’m also coming down with the flu.  Ugh.  I so don’t want to pull out ornament boxes.

I have been online shopping, so the dining room looks like shipping and receiving, but unlike past years with detailed lists ... I have no idea what’s in those boxes!

My fantasy is to throw all the Amazon boxes under the tree and we can open those on Xmas morning, make a guessing game of the intended recipient, and exchange the gifts when 15 yr old gets a doll and 8 yr old gets a Hot Topic t-shirt.  New tradition!

Oh sending tons of hugs your way.  I hope you don't get the flu and your kids and mom recover quickly.   Is your dh going to be home for the holidays? 

I say the opening of the boxes sounds fun!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

My outdoor lights are a projector I plug in and aim at the house and I STILL haven't done them.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Robin M said:

We also have a naked tree and I haven't had the energy to dig the decorations out of the garage.   Nor have I started Christmas shopping.  Sort of in a bah humbug mood and hope that lifts soon.  

I'm so with you today. Woke up feeling not great. Dd getting married on saturday. Too much to do, no energy. 

Still need to put in an amazon order.

• Like 1

I am in the middle of a basement finishing project.....2 bedrooms, kitchenette, living room, and bath.  That means all furniture is in storage blocking my tree.  I spend every weekend and evening working in projects to save me money ....like doing the painting.

I could likely set up the tree by the 23rd but I also have extra furniture and glass from the coffee tables in the LR.  I have no desire or energy for this 

• Like 2

I've spent the last three days sequestered in my apartment writing a paper. It's now finals week I have something scheduled for everyday until Monday - only one holiday thing - then I'm sleeping for a few days. I've bought many of my Christmas gifts, but I still need at least 1 more for my mom. I do not decorate my apartment. My mom said something about getting a tree for the house, not sure. My sister may come up if the weather is decent. I just want to sleep and binge watch Netflix. 

• Like 1

Ok, well, thanks to this thread, I dragged out one box of ornaments!  We now have a half naked tree.  🤣

I also made that detailed list, and ordered more gifts for the shipping and receiving area, errrr, dining room.  

And wrapped two presents so the tree isn’t empty and sad.

The kids and I bundled up and went outside to wave at Santa on the firetruck tonight, too.  Between the half decorated tree and that - it feels like Christmas time.

So ... thank you for this thread!

• Like 1

Big time. Denial. Resentment. Anxiety. Bewilderment. Sadness. Panic. All of it. 

Since some time in mid-November, I have had occasional burbles of energy to devote to holiday preparations, so I didn't realize just how deep a hole I am in until the last couple of days.

Just one example: We made multiple shopping expeditions leveraging sales and coupons to pull together a stash of items to donate to a couple of local organizations. I lugged all of it home and stashed it in my office/craft room . . . where it sits at this moment. Meanwhile, one of the events for which I was planning to donate is happening this weekend. I did the same thing last year, so I know that they will be happy to accept stuff up until the last minute; it just means I have to deliver to the venue on their schedule instead of dropping items at the place around the corner from my house at my convenience. 

4 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I am out of the ordinary ready this year. Several things factor into this. Not having little kids anymore (or grandkids yet), having young adults actually help decorate and get ready, streamlining a few traditions to make gift purchasing easier.... in hindsight, as I find myself readier than I’ve ever been this far out before Christmas Day, those are the changes that helped a lot. 

I still have to prepare myself for lots of peopleing that I can only take in limited batches, but even that is/has been spread out this season. Very helpful. 

I hope all of you can relax soon. Fairfarmhand did you find a good solution for those tablecloth wrinkles? 

I did.

my friend loaned me her garment steamer. Glorious!

Annnnd I'm still in denial 🙂 "Put up tree" is on my to-do list yesterday and got bumped to today.  We'll see. I have my last class before the holidays for one class tonight and the same deal with co-op tomorrow so I can see it getting rescheduled again.  Goofing off here isn't helping.  

• Like 1

LOL, I'm in denial every year.  In Germany, it is Wrong to put put the tree before Christmas Eve, so anything before that is Early. Yep.  And I leave it up through Epiphany, so it's good to not get things started too early.  Yep, that's my story.

I also often don't really get shopping till the week of Christmas.  ....  I have gotten a few things online already, which puts me ahead of the game!

• Like 1

One weekend I put up a few items on the mantel-- which reminds me that didn't include the nativity set-which maybe I won't put out as I'll have several two year olds on Christmas.  Last weekend dd put the string of lights on the window.  I managed to bring up the tree and put lights on it.  Moving so slowly this year.  I know I have some things for dd and dgs in my stash, and I picked up a couple books for one ds, but that's it.  Just have no motivation.  And the big family Christmas is moving to my house this year.  Yes, I have to cook dinner for 15, too, as my kids really don't want lasagna again this year. lol  I know we're having ham...

On 12/10/2019 at 7:36 PM, Ottakee said:

I am in the middle of a basement finishing project.....2 bedrooms, kitchenette, living room, and bath.  That means all furniture is in storage blocking my tree.  I spend every weekend and evening working in projects to save me money ....like doing the painting.

I could likely set up the tree by the 23rd but I also have extra furniture and glass from the coffee tables in the LR.  I have no desire or energy for this 

Do you have a bare wall?  

Ok, I'm in the game now.  Two trees went up yesterday.  They're pre-lit, so if nobody else shows an interest in ornaments I'm fine with the minimalist look.  The walk down memory lane with the ornaments is sweet, but I don't need it EVERY year.  

I wrapped the gifts that are in the house and decorated the mantle.  I got almost as ready as I could without leaving the house.  Today I HAVE to leave the house, and here I sit on the computer in my pajamas.  Today I should help my son get ready for the day, shower, dress, do a batch of cookies, mop my kitchen, make a shopping list for the next 8 days, grocery shop, visit a friend in the hospital, feed people, and be finished with it all before my 7 p.m. students show up at my house tonight.  I still need to do some local shopping, but facing the crowds is daunting.  My college girl gets home tomorrow night, so I may brave the stores with her.  She makes it fun and she's a much better shopper than me. 

I should be much more panicked with my level of preparedness, but I have adult children so there is no pressure to make magic for little kids.  I feel I should be moved on to the next phase of life where I get a couple presents for my kids and just take a trip instead of Doing All The Things.  I do have a disabled son who is a bit young for his age, so I'll give him another (scaled down) year or two to come to terms with adult holidays.  

Thankfully, DH and I both hate shopping, so we don't always shop for each other unless something really jumps out at us.  I do the cookies for DH more than the kids because he really enjoys that a new batch shows up every few days.  By Christmas Day I have several kinds set aside for a variety platter.

to make anyone else who is still in denial -  I have done nothing 😧

dh did put up the outdoor lights  last weekend but other than that, Christmas hasn't arrived here yet.

We have no presents, my living room is a huge disaster (including a couch with a hole in the arm - thank you dog, lol). Atm, I'm looking at sofa covers on amazon, plus replacement cushions for our poang chairs at Ikea online (because the dog also chewed one of those plus they're dirty and not the washable kind).  I would just go buy a couch but I really don't have the time or energy to couch shop so I think just one of those stretchy Chun-Yi covers from amazon will have to do.  I have to clean out the wall of bookcases that dominates the living room because right now it's filled with stacks of erratically piled school papers, broken binders, dust and random crap that we move up higher to get away from the dog (the labrador chewing genes are strong in that mutt lol). Floor needs cleaning, carpet needs shampooing, dog beds all need washing.  

We are hosting the 24th and supposedly also the 25th though I'm pushing for SIL to take the 25th. 

I ordered 2 things for my kids last week but they will not arrive in time so they're getting a sheet of paper with a picture of their item. I would like to get them more things so I guess I'll go to a mall and just wander around and just buy some small things. 

We haven't started any food prep or meal planning or anything. And all I really want to do is sit around watching Hallmark movies and catching up on Netflix and reading  😁Oh well, it will all come together somehow. 

Leaving thing to the last week people, we've got this ☺️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Looking at the menu at the local Mexican restaurant so we can order Christmas dinner for 7 and pick it up Dec. 23rd.  Middle daughter and I will have to clear out fridge space to keep it a couple of days, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I like how you think. I've been agitating for doing this with indian takeout for the days after xmas but my family has always balked. We also don't have tons of fridge space...but it's only about +4C outside, and camping coolers with icepacks in the garage might work just fine. 

55 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

... I should be much more panicked with my level of preparedness, but I have adult children so there is no pressure to make magic for little kids.  I feel I should be moved on to the next phase of life where I get a couple presents for my kids and just take a trip instead of Doing All The Things.  I do have a disabled son who is a bit young for his age, so I'll give him another (scaled down) year or two to come to terms with adult holidays.  

Thankfully, DH and I both hate shopping, so we don't always shop for each other unless something really jumps out at us.  I do the cookies for DH more than the kids because he really enjoys that a new batch shows up every few days.  By Christmas Day I have several kinds set aside for a variety platter.

I think I am prepared, I am just not feeling the excitement this year.   Dh would be fine with skipping Christmas.  He offered a trip, even a cruise, in lieu of Christmas gifts. The boys were adamantly opposed.

Youngest ds put up the tree on Saturday.  He didn't fluff the branches before decorating so it is oddly shaped.  He did remember to put the section that doesn't light to the back.  He put about half the ornaments on the tree before declaring it done.  Thus our normally eclectic tree appears to have a red, white, and silver theme.  It is pretty although somewhat sparse.  The cat is loving it.  

• Like 1

No one can agree on a Christmas menu so I'm contemplating ordering Indian food also. For me. Everyone else can have frozen pizza or whatever. 

They have said no to:

turkey

briquet

dd wants honey baked ham but no one else eats ham

tamales (who says no to tamales?!!!)

lasagna

roast

So, at this point, I'm going to have some samosas with tamarind chutney and some aloo gobi masala (potato and cauliflower curry) and call it good. 🙂 

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

No one can agree on a Christmas menu so I'm contemplating ordering Indian food also. For me. Everyone else can have frozen pizza or whatever. 

They have said no to:

turkey

briquet

dd wants honey baked ham but no one else eats ham

tamales (who says no to tamales?!!!)

lasagna

roast

So, at this point, I'm going to have some samosas with tamarind chutney and some aloo gobi masala (potato and cauliflower curry) and call it good. 🙂 

May I come to your house for dinner?  I love Indian food.  

Dh wants a traditional dinner.  His mother always did a meal to rival Thanksgiving dinner.     

1 hour ago, hornblower said:

I like how you think. I've been agitating for doing this with indian takeout for the days after xmas but my family has always balked. We also don't have tons of fridge space...but it's only about +4C outside, and camping coolers with icepacks in the garage might work just fine. 

Go for it!