Menu

Books on evolution for an 8th grader

I’m not trying to be controversial, but my dad has put it in my son’s head that evolution isn’t true and God created the world in 6 literal days and people who believe in evolution don’t know what they are talking about. 

We are a Christian family, so I would prefer a book that doesn’t bash Christians. Maybe if there is one written by a Christian that would help. My ds is a Christian and the whole thing really bothers him. I think he got the impression that you can’t be a Christian and believe in evolution. Obviously, my education on the topic is not sufficient.

If he, as an adult who has had access to actual facts on the issue, wants to decide to not believe in evolution, then whatever. But, my job as his educator is to give him the facts-which I am defining as the accepted belief of the vast majority of the scientific community. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Like 1

How old is he? 

The Language of God, by Francis Collins (the founder of Biologos). He was in charge of the Human Genome Project, so he knows his stuff.

Quantum Physics and Theology by John Polkinghorne. He is a both a theoretical physicist and an Anglican priest.

John Walton's books on "The Lost World of..." These do not specifically address evolution, but they show from an orthodox Christian perspective, how Genesis can be read in an intellectually and theologically honest way that supports theistic evolution.

Quesions of Truth: Fifty one responses to Questions about God, Science and Belief. By John Polkinghorne and Nicholas Beale.

The Language of Science and Faith, by Karl Giberson and Francis Collins. This has a lot of short chapters about different science/faith questions. It is a follow-on to Language of God.

Where the Conflict Really Lies by Alvin Plantinga. This book is a bit more scholarly, in that it is not a light read. He taught at Calvin College for 19 years.

4 hours ago, lovinmyboys said:

We are a Christian family, so I would prefer a book that doesn’t bash Christians. Maybe if there is one written by a Christian that would help. My ds is a Christian and the whole thing really bothers him. I think he got the impression that you can’t be a Christian and believe in evolution. Obviously, my education on the topic is not sufficient.

That is what we thought as well, until we read the above books. It was very helpful to learn that this is mainly an American problem, and one we have exported. NT Wright speaks about this, and he is one of the leading Christian theologians alive. According to Wright, the way that Americans force this dichotomy is not a problem in Britian. I had no idea how American much of my Christianity was until I started reading theologians from other cultures.

• Like 2

I try very hard to break out of this very modern idea that the natural and supernatural exist completely separately from each other. The Bible Project has some great videos about this. 

Here are some things I say to my kids.

1. Do I believe that God holds the universe in the palm of his hand, or do I believe that it is all totally random? What a weird false dichotomy! I believe that God uses gravity (and the electro-magnetic force and the weak and strong forces) to "hang the heavens" so to speak.

2. DO I believe that babies are a miracle or an event driven by nature with predictable outcomes? Um, why can I not agree with both? 

In the same way, I believe that God used evolution to provide for the glorious biodiversity that I believe reflects God's love and creativity. I in no way believe that evolution diminishes God or his power. I try really hard to point out either/or fallacies when I see them and to train my kids to see them. I dont want to be forced into a box that is completely unnecessary.

I will also say (and some of these books point out) that often Christians conflate biological evolution (gradual changes in a population over many generations) with Social Darwinism (which says - correct me if I am wrong-that because of biological evolution, certain philosophies are therefore morally justified). Christians and the general public also tend to conflate evolution with abiogenesis, which refers to the origin of life. 

• Like 1

You might find this lecture interesting.  It is Ken Miller, of Miller & Levine biology textbook fame, talking to a group of high school students about evolution.  IIRC, at some point during the lecture he mentions that he is a Christian (Catholic, if it matters).

Start with section 1-9 (they seem to be out of order on the screen).

• Like 1

Why Evolution is True by Coyne.  It's accessible and thorough.  Tone is respectful.

Also, belief in a literal biblical 6 day creation as a Christian religious requirement is very much an American evangelical protestant  phenomenon.  The Catholic church, and many mainline protestant churches accept (or at least don't outright reject) evolution.  And the rest of the world finds America's perseveration on the issue a little odd.

• Like 3

I second the recommendations for The Language of God and Why Evolution is True.

In your case, I would lean more toward The Language of God. I went through a similar struggle once upon a time and this book was the best one I read regarding the "conflict" between religion and evolution.

• Like 1