Menu

Spelling

Janeway

My second grader had been doing Riggs phonics. Her spelling is actually quite good. I usually use Spelling Workout, but anymore, I am not sure what I liked about it. I have little interest in spending large amounts of money on this. I already own a SWO book I bought years ago, but find myself feeling less and less in to it. She is a natural speller, but I suspect her excellent spelling instruction is why, so I do not want to just drop the ball. 

Spelling Plus followed by Natural Speller.

https://www.amazon.com/Spelling-Plus-Words-toward-Success/dp/187947820X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3K0WBL37ULSL0&keywords=spelling+plus+1000+words+toward+spelling+success&qid=1575699053&sprefix=spelling+plus%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-2

Easy and quick to use, both books together take you through 8th grade level, Spelling Plus covers rules and most common 1,000 words, Natural Speller has good word lists for follow on once you complete Spelling Plus.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Speller-Kathryn-L-Stout/dp/1891975005/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=natural+speller&qid=1575699163&sr=8-1

I used Natural Speller after Spelling Plus with my daughter, she was good at spelling and needed little instruction.  My son needed a more complete spelling program. It is only good for, well, natural spellers.

It took my daughter about a year to go through all of Spelling Plus, working for just a bit weekly. My son needed daily work for several years in a row to complete the book.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1