Menu

Math/Algebra book rec similar to this website

Math Mammoth would include this topic. You might even find supportive videos. You can order by grade level or by topic. This would be in the more algebra-ish and pre-algebra topical books. I think the grade level would likely be 7th, but you can search around lists on the site to find out where it's located.

What I am about to say is very, very generic.

This look is like it may be Common Core.  Common Core is known for being more conceptual and more verbal.  

A lot of special needs kids do not so well with Common Core because it is more conceptual and more verbal.

To some extent there is a choice between working years behind but doing the conceptual and verbal level expected by Common Core.

Or working more at level but using a curriculum that has less emphasis on work problems, or fewer word problems.  Or that focuses more on procedural math.  This is all very fair as a choice to make.

The other thing is, my older son (and my daughter) do Engage NY in public school (very Common Core). They don’t have a textbook and they have a lot of packets that rely on them to fill in the packets as they are in class.

If this is the set-up for your child and he/she has trouble filling in the packets — he/she absolutely must have help with this.  If he/she isn’t getting this help — complain to public school or expect to provide significant extra help.  In public school many kids are getting an entire extra class period of help if they aren’t able to follow along and fill in the packets in one class period (which — it’s true it’s the expectation, but many kids need extra help).  

But bottom line it isn’t just you — Common Core is known to be more difficult for many kids due to a higher verbal or conceptual (or both) expectation.  For other kids it works out great.  I heard in our previous school district that Common Core worked great for 80-90% of kids while 10-20% of kids were lost, needed more time on everything, needed more review, and the verbal and/or conceptual levels were major issues.  

• 3 weeks later...