Menu

Do you use cash back apps?

Andani

25 minutes ago, Andani said:

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation or not. I've seen ads for ibotta and Rakuten, but are they worth the effort?

Thanks! 

I love Rakuten.  We have earned so much cash back with them over the years.  If you decide to sign up with them, please pm me and I'll refer you - I think we both get a bonus if it's done that way.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jen500 said:

I used to use ebates/rakuten. But in the past year  they became very unreliable as far as crediting my 'shopping trips', so I don't bother anymore. 

We've only had that problem with rental cars (Enterprise).  They made us jump through hoops to get that money but it was Enterprise's fault and not Rakuten's. 

28 minutes ago, Pen said:

? Never heard of these ? Can someone explain?

From Rakuten's page:

What is Rakuten?

Rakuten is where you can get Cash Back for shopping at over 2,500 stores. Becoming a member is free! Stores pay Rakuten a commission for sending you their way, and Rakuten shares the commission with you as Cash Back. Get paid every three months, plus earn a cash bonus when you join and shop. Founded in 1998, Rakuten has paid members over $1 billion Cash Back. Start getting yours!

How does Rakuten work?

Rakuten gets a commission from stores when you make a purchase, and instead of keeping it, Rakuten share it with you. Find the store on ebates.com, click “Shop Now” and shop like normal on the store site. After you make an eligible purchase, you’ll earn Cash Back and get a check or PayPal payment every quarter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Rakuten is easy.  At least when online shopping.  You just log into Rakuten, then click through to the store and shop like you otherwise would have.  I will say, most of my online shopping is Amazon, with an occasional walmart purchase, and the categories that cash back is offered on change regularly.  So I don't bother trying to keep up with that and I figure if I get cash back on it great, if not, that's fine.  All I try to do is remember to click through first.

I don't bother with any of the cash back apps on the phone.   Those are not worth the effort for me, and most of the stuff they offer money back on is not stuff I buy.  

I use it a lot for Old Navy, Kohl's, Macy's, Vitacost...sometimes it's 10% cash back!  On Cyber Monday I got 15% back at GNC!  For buying stuff I would have bought anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

If I shopped those places regularly I would totally use it for that sort of stuff too lol.  

We use it for Amazon and walmart, too.  I agree that it's too much trouble to figure out the cash back for those purchases most of the time so I just use the link and hope to get something back since they are items I'd buy anyway.  

I don't think it works exactly the same, but I use Honey for my on-line shopping on my laptop.  (It only works for on-line shopping.)  I don't know how it works on a phone, but on my laptop, it actually goes into the browser.  It works with a lot of different stores, including Amazon.  When I'm looking at a product on Amazon, it tells me if I can find the same product somewhere else on Amazon for cheaper.  On other sites, it tells me if there's a promo code available, and it punches in all the ones it has automatically.  It doesn't always find a working code, but often it does.

I was also collecting Honey points when I made a purchase, but had no idea what they were or how I was collecting them.   When I finally checked my Honey account, it said I could trade in my points for a gift card somewhere (I got mine for Target).  It was for $40!  So, I was collecting points toward money and didn't even know it.

It's all free and it really does all the work for you.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I use Ibotta, Receipt Hog, Swagbucks, Shopkick, Receipt Pal, and Fetch.  I earned about $180 in gift cards since September.   

Whoa!  That seems like a lot to keep track of.  Can you describe your use of those?  Specifically, do you check for particular items through each one, each time, or do you use each for different vendors?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Familia said:

Whoa!  That seems like a lot to keep track of.  Can you describe your use of those?  Specifically, do you check for particular items through each one, each time, or do you use each for different vendors?

Some of them are just straight forward "upload a receipt and get x points", and are not dependant on purchasing certain items.  Receipt High, Receipt Pal, and Coin Out are like that.  Fetch is like that a bit. You get 25 points per receipt. They have bonuses for buying certain items, but even if you don't buy them, you still get points. 

Basically, I check sales ads each week, and then match them to coupons and receipt tracking apps. I am in a few FB groups for this, which saves time putting together "deals".  When I get home, I upload receipts.

It is basically a hobby for me at this point. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2019 at 5:42 PM, happysmileylady said:

Rakuten is easy.  At least when online shopping.  You just log into Rakuten, then click through to the store and shop like you otherwise would have.  I will say, most of my online shopping is Amazon, with an occasional walmart purchase, and the categories that cash back is offered on change regularly.  So I don't bother trying to keep up with that and I figure if I get cash back on it great, if not, that's fine.  All I try to do is remember to click through first.

I don't bother with any of the cash back apps on the phone.   Those are not worth the effort for me, and most of the stuff they offer money back on is not stuff I buy.  

I think it would be like that for me too. Thank you!

On 12/6/2019 at 9:29 PM, MissLemon said:

I use Ibotta, Receipt Hog, Swagbucks, Shopkick, Receipt Pal, and Fetch.  I earned about $180 in gift cards since September.   

Questions! 🤗

Can you overlap these? Do they each follow and give credit for all purchases, or do they accept certain categories? Do you report particular purchases through particular apps?

Thank you! 

Just now, Andani said:

Questions! 🤗

Can you overlap these? Do they each follow and give credit for all purchases, or do they accept certain categories? Do you report particular purchases through particular apps?

Thank you! 

Oh sorry! I  just realized you gave answers already!

Update - quite satisfied.  Thanks for this thread...I’ve made $25 since Saturday!!!

I simply set up an account on Rakuten on my desktop on Saturday.  Monday, when I purchased a raincoat for DD, two Amazon orders, and tickets through Groupon, I reminded myself each time to click on those vendors through Rakuten.

Well, there is $25 in my account that I can cash out.  This was easy-peasy.   I am stunned, thank you!

• Like 3