Menu

Hot Pot (Shabu Shabu) Advice Needed

Caraway

I am trying to put together a hot pot kit, but I am spinning out on what type of cooking device to buy.  My husband remembers a cooker from his family that involved charcoal and a general sense of "danger".  I don't think that is what I want to buy.  🤣  Most people seem to use either a dedicated cooking device (coolest looking but only good for this), a multi-cooker device that seems to be like a hotter version of a crockpot, or an induction burner and a special pot.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  I think I've ruled out the ones with butane canisters, but I could be persuaded.  In my dreams this device is fun and easy to use, easy to clean, looks interesting, does not require half of my garage space to store.

I would also love any additional tips, product suggestions, etc.  

5 minutes ago, SusanC said:

😂 I think I have one of the charcoal cookers from my grandparents. I keep meaning to try it during picnic weather. Do you have an easy-to-follow instructions website?

There is a ton of info on Pinterest. I searched “hot pot at home”. 

Now I’m considering a butane burnet and a  Japanese Donabe pot. It’s certainly a rabbit hole. 😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My MIL uses this yearly for reunion dinner (kind of like thanksgiving dinner) for at least 13 people. She use that for daily cooking too but not as often as she prefers gas stove cooking to electric stove cooking.

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-EP-PBC10-Gourmet-dExpert-Electric/dp/B003VNKJR2

Yes!  This is one of the options I’m considering. Have you used it for a hot pot style meal?

13 minutes ago, SusanC said:

😂 I think I have one of the charcoal cookers from my grandparents. I keep meaning to try it during picnic weather. Do you have an easy-to-follow instructions website?

My aunts had the traditional Asian clay charcoal stove. They use paper to kindle the charcoal. I used a small fire starter pellet/disc because that’s the lazy way out and we usually have a box around because of class bbq gatherings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Caraway said:

Yes!  This is one of the options I’m considering. Have you used it for a hot pot style meal?

Yes. It’s normal and kind of traditional for us to do a hot pot dinner for Chinese New Year dinner.  We have the scoops too. Link is the kind we use but we buy at Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese) supermarkets https://www.amazon.com/Shabu-Hot-Pot-Strainer-Scoops/dp/B005P1S1LO/

• Like 1

In Japan, where Shabu Shabu originated, it’s not done in a crock pot but rather in a pot that is wider but shallower, similar to the one Arcadia posted.  That’s important because you want people to be able to put their individual pieces in all together, and watch them cook, and not have any on top of any other—so you need a wide top.  The pieces are bigger than fondue, so again you need a wider top.

I love that dish, it is my favorite.  Have had it with Kobe beef so thin that you could see through it.  And those amazing chrysanthemum leaves.  OMGosh, so good.  The only place in the US where I’ve seen it served authentically is a little restaurant in South Lake Tahoe called Samari.