Menu

Spin bike questions

DawnM

Who has a spin bike?  Tell me everything.

I HAVE BAD KNEES!  I have tried several forms of exercise over this past year, only to quit  from pain.  In about June of this year I found out I have arthritis in the knees.  This isn't helping AT ALL.

As I have researched, I have found that spinning is actually a decent exercise for bad knees.  So, I am thinking of getting something for Christmas.  HOWEVER, my issue is also that I am 4'11" so I need to be sure I can actually fit the bike.  Most say they fit sizes 4'11" to 6' or more, but still.

My husband said absolutely no to a Peloton or similar NordicTrack machine with the screen and subscription.  And honestly, I am not at the level to need that just now, although having an on screen trainer would be motivating.  

I am thinking of looking into the Peloton $12.99 subscription and a lower end bike and using my older iPad with it.  It is cheaper because it isn't attached to the bike's resistance so it can't tell if you are actually following the instructions or not, as it could with the actual Peloton bike.

Do you have anything you could recommend that you have tried (I can google and have found several "top 10 spin bike" review type things).  I would love to hear some first hand experience.  I am thinking the $500 range would be good, although if you have a $1000 range I can hopefully find second hand, that would be even be great.  I am looking at the Echelon as one alternative.

THANK YOU!,

I have GOT to do something!  I am pretty out of shape and tired all the time right now.  I am not sleeping well and under a tremendous amount of stress.

EDITING:    I have tried it.  I like it, it has not hurt my knees.  I do want one.  I am asking for advice on ones to look at/purchase 

Edited by DawnM

I have heard great things about the Johnny G. Spin Bike.  I have a Star Trac V-Bike that I love but it's old (17 years!) and starting to wear out so I just bought this as a back up (got it for a great price).  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CVU2HG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1   I think the reviews said it's not good for shorter people, though.  

Have you tried spinning yourself to make sure it doesn't hurt your knees or are you relying on research? If you haven't tried it I would do that first. I suggest it because I know that my aunt with arthritic knees tried spinning and it was too painful. The only exercise that has worked for her is swimming.

• Like 1

Cycling and spin are excellent for *most* people with bad knees, but proper fit is absolutely essential, as will be your workout. It can go wrong easily so getting set up correctly will be important. One option, if you don’t already, is to take a few spin classes at a gym and learn proper fit from the instructor.

A much less expensive option than a spin bike if you already own a bike is a bike trainer. You set your existing bike on the trainer so you can ride inside. Modern trainers come with built in resistance, etc and can be used with realistic training/racing programs like Zwift, but you can also just find workouts you like on YouTube and follow along (I like videos from GCN).

You don’t have to spend much on a basic trainer. If you don’t already have one, you might be able to find an inexpensive bike and a basic trainer for less than a spin bike. Plus you’d have a bike to ride outside when the weather allows!

• Like 3

That's the thing, I have no idea where to go.  There is no spinning store and places like Dicks have low end machines and only one or two models.  The Peloton store is 20 miles away, in a direction I rarely go.  And the gym (also a distance) only has gym models for their use, only one kind.

Where do you try these without spending an inordinate amount of time and try them for a long time to really see and try multiple styles/models?  In fact, many of them are only available online.

As for swimming, there is no indoor pool close to me and the only one that is 12 miles away has after school swim classes and no availability for the hours I need.

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

I have heard great things about the Johnny G. Spin Bike.  I have a Star Trac V-Bike that I love but it's old (17 years!) and starting to wear out so I just bought this as a back up (got it for a great price).  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CVU2HG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1   I think the reviews said it's not good for shorter people, though.  

BOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😜

• Like 1

Try Flywheel Sports or Cycle Bar. Most places will let you take one class to see if you like it. No way I would invest in an expensive piece of equipment if I didn't know for sure it would work for me. If you have a bike already, I think MEmama's idea of a trainer is a good one. Although a good trainer is $$ too...

Does it have to be a Peloton type bike? If your goal is to get in shape and you're dedicated to the idea of cycling, why not have a look on craigslist to see if anyone is getting rid of old equipment? Used exercise bikes can usually be had for less than $150. 

ETA Can you walk without pain? If so, a treadmill might be the way to go.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Try Flywheel Sports or Cycle Bar. Most places will let you take one class to see if you like it. No way I would invest in an expensive piece of equipment if I didn't know for sure it would work for me. If you have a bike already, I think MEmama's idea of a trainer is a good one. Although a good trainer is $$ too...

Does it have to be a Peloton type bike? If your goal is to get in shape and you're dedicated to the idea of cycling, why not have a look on craigslist to see if anyone is getting rid of old equipment? Used exercise bikes can usually be had for less than $150. 

No, doesn't have to be Peloton.  that is why I am asking about them.  I am looking on sales sites, BUT, I don't know much about them, which is why I am asking here first.

I have tried a class in the past, but it has been a while.  I do like spin classes, although some bikes are too large.  

No, I am not hiring a trainer.

ETA Can you walk without pain? If so, a treadmill might be the way to go.

No, I had a treadmill, I got rid of it.  Anything beyond a leisurely stroll is painful.

Edited by DawnM

12 minutes ago, DawnM said:

No, doesn't have to be Peloton.  that is why I am asking about them.  I am looking on sales sites, BUT, I don't know much about them, which is why I am asking here first.

I have tried a class in the past, but it has been a while.  I do like spin classes, although some bikes are too large.  

No, I am not hiring a trainer.

No, I had a treadmill, I got rid of it.  Anything beyond a leisurely stroll is painful.

I'm sorry you're in pain and I commend you for looking to get back in shape. 🙂

The trainer is not a person, but a piece of equipment that you attach a regular outdoor bike to. Like this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bibiche said:

I'm sorry you're in pain and I commend you for looking to get back in shape. 🙂

The trainer is not a person, but a piece of equipment that you attach a regular outdoor bike to. Like this.

Oh, well, I don't even have an outdoor bike, so......that is even more equipment to buy.

Thanks!

I have an old upright exercise bike that I enjoyed and it did help my knees.  But I had to stop using it because it was aggravating my hip bursitis despite being no impact.  I’m mentioning this to ask—do you have any tendency toward hip problems?  Because if so, you might be better off with a rowing machine or something else that works both legs together rather than scissoring them.  That was my exercise prescription, and I use an older Health Rider because of it.  It’s been much better for me overall, except that I can’t read while I use it which was reducing my total exercise time until I started watching episodic TV on Amazon Prime while exercising.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

That's the thing, I have no idea where to go.  There is no spinning store and places like Dicks have low end machines and only one or two models.  The Peloton store is 20 miles away, in a direction I rarely go.  And the gym (also a distance) only has gym models for their use, only one kind.

Where do you try these without spending an inordinate amount of time and try them for a long time to really see and try multiple styles/models?  In fact, many of them are only available online.

As for swimming, there is no indoor pool close to me and the only one that is 12 miles away has after school swim classes and no availability for the hours I need.

Do you have a YMCA or a gym nearby?  They will often offer a free trial membership and you can try a bike that way.

• Like 1

We put our bikes on trainers in the off season and use videos to keep us going. You can buy good videos to guide your workouts- and move through them at your own pace.  For us it’s helpful because we’re on our own bikes, which fit us well.  And spring/summer/fall we ride outside, which is preferable to us. But if you don’t have a bike, going this route isn’t cheaper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Do you have a YMCA or a gym nearby?  They will often offer a free trial membership and you can try a bike that way.

Right, but that doesn't give me the opportunity to try different bikes, as was suggested.  I know what spinning is and have done it before.  It is more about the actual fit of the bike and trying it out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Right, but that doesn't give me the opportunity to try different bikes, as was suggested.  I know what spinning is and have done it before.  It is more about the actual fit of the bike and trying it out.  

Unless you do it backwards and try out the bikes first at the gym/YMCA and then purchase the one you like best?  

3 hours ago, Kassia said:

Unless you do it backwards and try out the bikes first at the gym/YMCA and then purchase the one you like best?  

The gyms all have the same bikes.  So all YMCA bikes will be identical.  There are no other local gyms.   But even the one 20 miles away only has one brand.  And the ones they have are commercial and made for a class, not home use.  So I am not sure that would really help. 

I even know what they use, they have a bike actually called "spinner." 

Edited by DawnM

14 minutes ago, DawnM said:

The gyms all have the same bikes.  So all YMCA bikes will be identical.  There are no other local gyms.   But even the one 20 miles away only has one brand.  And the ones they have are commercial and made for a class, not home use.  So I am not sure that would really help. 

I even know what they use, they have a bike actually called "spinner." 

My Star Trac V-Bike is commercial quality, which is probably why it has held up so well for 17 years.  Is it possible that the bike you mentioned is a Johnny G spinner?  Those are frequently used in gyms.  

44 minutes ago, Kassia said:

My Star Trac V-Bike is commercial quality, which is probably why it has held up so well for 17 years.  Is it possible that the bike you mentioned is a Johnny G spinner?  Those are frequently used in gyms.  

No, more like this

image.png

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 4:47 AM, DawnM said:

Who has a spin bike?  Tell me everything.

I HAVE BAD KNEES!  I have tried several forms of exercise over this past year, only to quit  from pain.  In about June of this year I found out I have arthritis in the knees.  This isn't helping AT ALL.

I have osteoarthritis in both knees myself and we own a treadmill, a stationary bicycle, and one of those weight machines. We have had these machines for years longer than I have known about my osteoarthritis. I have found that for me cycling is not the best thing for my knees. Walking is better for my knees. What is key for walking is to have good shoes.

When we bought our stationary bicycle all four of us went to a store where we could actually sit on and try out the various cycles they had. We selected one that fit all of us, including my youngest daughter who at the time was shorter than you. By doing so we made sure that each one of us actually could use the cycle, which we did for several months after purchasing it.

None of us have kept up with using the exercise machines that we have other than the treadmill. The others sit and take up space and we use them once in a great while more out of guilt than any other reason. They cost enough that we don't simply want to give up on them and to get rid of them, so they continue to take up significant floor space in our house.

For myself I have discovered that I do better when I have a class or can go out walking amongst scenery. Due to a vertigo like symptom I have had the last few years I have also found that walking over uneven terrain can be very helpful for me in that it gives me relief from that vertigo like symptom.  I have found myself good hiking shoes that fit me well and give me good traction and stability for when I hike. But the big daily benefit I found was Hoka one one shoes. I heard about these from a friend I was visiting and went to a store to try some out. I found a pair that fit me well and I bought them right then, and during my major hike through the airport changing planes on the trip back my knees never gave me any grief.

If you can please consider trying out a local gym to see if you can give their spin class and their cycles a try before you buy one for your home. Find out if the activity is actually going to work for you.  Please also look into good shoes for your knees for regular daily wear and for any exercise options you may choose. Hoka one one is only one brand, and they are expensive, but good shoes like these have made a remarkable difference for my own knees just in going through my daily activities, which include elder Care.

Please also forgive any typos. I am using voice to text dictation on my phone for this, and it tends to put in oddities here and there, and I don't always catch them all.

I hope you find options that work for you!

I don't have knee pain, but I do use the Peloton app and spin at home. I started with a Sole SB700 bike from Dick's and then upgraded a year ago to a Keiser m3i. I love it so, so much, but it costs just as much as a Peloton. It is, however, a great bike for shorter people because the handlebars adjust forward and back. If you're on FB, I suggest joining the group for Peloton Digital subscribers because they are VERY knowledgeable about bike options. The Sunny is a popular one, and it's available on Amazon.

If your Dick's has a Sole on the floor, definitely try it. It's a very sturdy bike, and the 900 is even nicer than the 700. I bought my Keiser at a local fitness supplier and they had half a dozen models from various brands to test. I did also go to a Peloton store, and the bike was better than I was expecting (they look so flimsy), but I didn't want to be locked into their subscription either-- or have to update that screen one day. I've had the app for close to four years and $12.99 is AMAZING. There's so much content beyond the bike now too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zuzu822 said:

I don't have knee pain, but I do use the Peloton app and spin at home. I started with a Sole SB700 bike from Dick's and then upgraded a year ago to a Keiser m3i. I love it so, so much, but it costs just as much as a Peloton. It is, however, a great bike for shorter people because the handlebars adjust forward and back. If you're on FB, I suggest joining the group for Peloton Digital subscribers because they are VERY knowledgeable about bike options. The Sunny is a popular one, and it's available on Amazon.

If your Dick's has a Sole on the floor, definitely try it. It's a very sturdy bike, and the 900 is even nicer than the 700. I bought my Keiser at a local fitness supplier and they had half a dozen models from various brands to test. I did also go to a Peloton store, and the bike was better than I was expecting (they look so flimsy), but I didn't want to be locked into their subscription either-- or have to update that screen one day. I've had the app for close to four years and $12.99 is AMAZING. There's so much content beyond the bike now too.

Thanks.  Someone on another board loves the Keiser m3i as well and said he got it locally at some sports resale place I hadn't heard of before.  

• Like 1