Menu

recommendations for self-teaching piano

Noreen Claire

We have an old, free-to-us, not-in-the-best-shape piano, and DS10 is trying to teach himself to play. He has picked up what keys play which notes and has memorized a couple of songs. He's figured out a few chords. The problem is that he doesn't understand whole/half/quarter/etc notes and timing. Like, at all. Every note is played the exact same way. DH dabbles in piano (self taught), but I've got nothing to offer here. We cannot currently afford any paid tutors, but he is attending a once-weekly free group piano class at the local YMCA. The instructor there told him to get a metronome. Does anyone have any recommendations for an inexpensive metronome (preferably simple, not too many bells and/or whistles) that can survive a house with four elementary boys who will all want to touch it? Also, any good "learn to play piano" books for a 10yr old boy who picks things up very quickly, but also has a low tolerance for frustration?

FWIW, I would prefer to stay off of apps/youtube/video courses for the time being. I will gladly take any and all recommendations for those as well, but will file them away for now. Thanks!

Edited by Noreen Claire

If you have a smart phone, there are plenty of metronome apps. 

As far as piano books go, few are designed to be self teaching. (The ones I use as a teacher pretty much require that there be a teacher who plays piano, and pretty well). I use the Hal Leonard Keyboard 1 book for teens who want to start playing quickly, which focuses on treble clef right hand and chording. The Alfred Complete Piano for Adults is a little more self-explanatory as well, but moves fast-it's mostly used for college students. 

• Like 1

The Thompson books have a good sequence, but like a lot of beginning piano courses, really need the teacher duets/accompaniment to sound like anything. They would work if there are audio files available (I know there are for most of the Hal Leonard and Alfred publishing books).

One of my favorite books as far as repertoire goes is the Rock Repetoire for teens books by Andrea Dow. These do have duets, but they are available free of charge on SoundCloud. https://smile.amazon.com/WunderKeys-Rock-Repertoire-Teen-Beginners/dp/1729186203/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1OT9PK9JP3LUS&keywords=rock+repertoire&qid=1575571437&sprefix=Rock+Repe%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-1

If you get the digital versions of the Piano Pronto books, including the supplemental ones, recordings are in the app, as well as a metronome feature, which might be helpful. The Easy Perfect Patterns books are good for beginners yet sound advanced. The Pronto Pizzazz books are even easier, but more reliant on the accompaniments.  https://pianopronto.com

• Like 1

We have had a metronome much like this in our house for like 15 years, though we have them on all our phones/iPads now too.  My son started at 5 so it has been dropped 80,000+ times at this point.  LOL.  

https://www.amazon.com/Wittner-865061-Metronome/dp/B0002E2YMG/ref=sr_1_21?keywords=metronome&qid=1575572570&sr=8-21

Looks like you have some good suggestions for beginner book series.  

• Like 1

Alfred and bastian have good 'self-teaching' programs.  you can buy an all-in-one book that includes some theory and technic.  it's not just what notes play what note - it's which fingers should be on those notes when.  they both include some hanon exercises. 

I had a very credible person recommend "Piano Lessons on the Web" - youtube channel.  here's his website/non-youtube channel

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

We really liked the Bastien Piano series.  The books have an integration chart inside the cover so you know which lessons in each book go together, and the Theory lessons are easy to follow.  You can pick up a whole level as a package on Amazon inexpensively.  My daughter graduated out of their series quite a proficient intermediate player.

• Like 1

We started with an old crappy freecycle piano about 15 years ago, then upgraded, then upgraded again.  A couple of years ago we got a refurbished 1960s Yamaha studio-quality piano that will last our pianist for the rest of her life. 

I wouldn't worry about a metronome at this point.  Get some good books that teach beginning theory instead. 
The Bastien books expect beginners to count aloud and clap the rhythm for each piece before they put fingers on the keys.

• Like 2