Menu

Chess related gifts for a beginner - Help!

medawyn

My almost 7 yo is suddenly very interested in chess.  We found a local homeschool chess class run through a chess center, and he's happily completed the first two beginner courses and is asking for a chess board for Christmas (and to enter some competitions.... I'm wondering how deep this rabbit hole will go).

He's definitely getting the chess board, but are there any other chess related gifts I should wrap with it?  He's a fluent reader with an elementary age attention span.

This might be going overboard.  But, I had a near "expert" ranking in college. I saved a small chess library for my kid to use one day.  Well, my kid plays and likes chess, but has no interest in excelling at chess.  If you are interested, I will ship my collection that starts with "How to Beat Your Dad at Chess" to "Modern Chess Openings" , for the cost of shipping. Probably $300+ in books, for maybe $20 book rate shipping.  Will toss in a chess computer,  IF I can find it.  you can pay me after you receive books.  They have been collecting dust around here for 10 years. 

• Like 1