Menu

s/o What's the scoop on the KitchenAid mixer quality?

PeterPan

Is it going downhill? I was starting to think about a mixer for dd 20. Don't laugh, but I was thinking I'd go big, like the 6 quart. But did someone say the quality has gone downhill? So then what would be the best alternative at the bigger sizes? Or is Williams Sonoma right and the KAs are still the bomb? 

Adding: metal vs. glass bowls. Does it matter? 

The reviews on amazon seem fine. Why was I thinking people here had said avoid KA these days??

Edited by PeterPan

Mine is still going strong, but it's over 10 years old now. I bought one for a gift for a friend last year and she uses it all the time and hasn't reported any quality issues.

I always opt for metal bowls for mixing. Just my preference (they're lighter-weight and I don't have to "think" about how to carefully handle them...)

• Like 3

I have had two in the last two years. One started to smoke and was replaced under the warranty.

the replacement is terrible. I actually just fired off a complaining email yesterday to the company.

I got a mixer when I was married- lasted for 22 years.

IME, the quality has gone so far downhill as to not even being on the mountain anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It may partly depend on what you intend to make, I think. A few years back (five?) I bought a Bosch mixer based on reviews that said they held up better for bread making than Kitchen Aide. My Bosch is still going strong, and I only use it for bread, basically, on average once a week.

About the same time, my brother was getting married and registering for gifts. I put in a plug for the Bosch, but his wife wanted KA because they’re prettier. Their mixer is still going strong too, but my brother mentioned the other day that they couldn’t do bread with it. I don’t have details on why.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, easypeasy said:

I always opt for metal bowls for mixing. Just my preference (they're lighter-weight and I don't have to "think" about how to carefully handle them...)

Oh you're so right, I don't know what I was thinking!! I keep a spare bowl in a deep drawer, so things are just thrown in there and bounced around. 

3 hours ago, Plum said:

I did have to replace the paddle because it was mistakenly put into the dishwasher. The metal attachments are hand wash only. The finish gets ruined.

That's what it was!!! Yeah, what a pain. I mean you've got dough, raw egg, junk, and now hand wash? Yuck. But she might survive.

1 hour ago, MysteryJen said:

I have had two in the last two years. One started to smoke and was replaced under the warranty.

the replacement is terrible. I actually just fired off a complaining email yesterday to the company.

I got a mixer when I was married- lasted for 22 years.

IME, the quality has gone so far downhill as to not even being on the mountain anymore.

And was there anything weird like it was bought in a discount place or of a smaller (lower quality) size? 

4 hours ago, Plum said:

I did have to replace the paddle because it was mistakenly put into the dishwasher. The metal attachments are hand wash only. The finish gets ruined. But that was my fault. 

That must be a ymmv thing. I've had mine for 20+ years and I always put everything in the dishwasher. Attachments are still fine. 

57 minutes ago, Lostinabook said:

That must be a ymmv thing. I've had mine for 20+ years and I always put everything in the dishwasher. Attachments are still fine. 

I think they changed something on the attachments a few years ago, because I had read that. My KA mixer is 23 years old and washes fine. But yeah, I've read the new ones have parts that are a no go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Can you buy a professional type Kitchen Aid?

This is what I was eyeing, and you're right it says professional.                                             KitchenAid KP26M1XER 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer - Empire Red                                     

Oh, now I see what's going on. They have professional and then "pro line" and there's a bigger bowl. Williams Sonoma wasn't selling this, at least not in the factory store, hmm

KitchenAid KSM7586PSR 7-Quart Pro Line Stand Mixer Sugar Pearl Silver                                     

And it looks like there's an 8 quart commercial unit.

Edited by PeterPan

13 minutes ago, Pen said:

Dumb question: I’ve never had, nor lived in a house that had a mixer.  What are they good for? 

Baking mostly. I don’t have the countertop space so DS15 just whip by hand to make meringues.

ETA:

The mini is what I am thinking of getting 

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KSM3311XHT-Artisan-Tilt-Head-Stand/dp/B01DKR4OUQ

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Baking mostly.

Yup. And technically, some of what you do in a mixer can be done in a food processor. So toppings for crisps/crumbles, hummus, even biscuits and pie dough, can be just as happy in a food processor. And that way if you're more of a vege person, you have more uses for it.

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

DS15 just whip by hand to make meringues.

The little artisan is adorable!! I have no opinion on it, but the $30-50 options for KA hand helds wouldn't be a bad option either. That whisk attachment (on the stand machine) is great, so I can see why she'd like it.

1 hour ago, Plum said:

I think my dishwasher gets too hot or something. I can’t put anything in there with that stainless steel finish. Or maybe it’s the the dishwashing detergent? Whatever it is, I’ve ruined a cookie sheet as well. 

Are you putting aluminum pans in the dishwasher?  They look a lot alike.  The dishwasher shouldn't be staining your stainless steel.  

I have a Kitchenaid Artisan that I've had for ten years.  I use it at least once a week.  It's been plenty big enough for my family of four.  I rarely do more than two lbs of bread dough at a time and I tend to do single recipes of cookies and cakes.  I really haven't needed a bigger mixer.  If it dies and I have to go with another brand, I still don't want a bigger one.  My kids are grown and our appetites are shrinking at this point.  Unless this daughter is super into bulk cooking, a bigger machine might be overkill.  

I throw all of the parts of everything in the dishwasher because I hate to wash dishes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Dumb question: I’ve never had, nor lived in a house that had a mixer.  What are they good for? 

kneading bread dough

mixing cakes, brownies, cookies, pie filling, and pancakes/waffles

meringue 

shredding cooked meats

mixing meatloaf so your hand doesn't freeze off

whipping cream

That weird emulsifying thing you do to the meat for homemade gyros

I even have the fruit and vegetable attachment so that I can quickly peel and seed tomatoes when they're coming out of the garden.  My sister had the pasta making attachment.  A friend has the ice cream attachment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

kneading bread dough

meringue 

shredding cooked meats

whipping cream

I even have the fruit and vegetable attachment so that I can quickly peel and seed tomatoes when they're coming out of the garden.  My sister had the pasta making attachment.  A friend has the ice cream attachment.

Thanks!  This explains it well.  

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

meringue 

shredding cooked meats

whipping cream

Just out of deference to the other thread, I'll point out I do all those with my handmixer and don't bother with the stand mixer.

Food processor.

I even have the fruit and vegetable attachment so that I can quickly peel and seed tomatoes when they're coming out of the garden. 

Now I've gotta go look at what in the world that is, lol. That could totally change my life. I planted 40+ plants this past year. :biggrin:

14 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Just out of deference to the other thread, I'll point out I do all those with my handmixer and don't bother with the stand mixer.

Food processor.

Now I've gotta go look at what in the world that is, lol. That could totally change my life. I planted 40+ plants this past year. :biggrin:

True, a hand mixer, or even a spoon or whisk, will do all of these things.  However, I make a lot of bread and I really like being able to to other things while it kneads.  My mixer was a Christmas gift one year.  My 12-year-old suggested it to my husband because I would routinely have her hold the hand mixer while I did other things like add ingredients or empty the dishwasher.  If I were more zen in the kitchen this wouldn't even be an issue, but I'm a bit of a whirlwind.

I'd always been more of a cook than a baker, so I definitely bake more with the mixer.  I also stopped using the bread machine and eventually gave it away because I prefer the bread baked in the oven. We don't eat a ton of bread, but I probably average making a loaf a week.  The mixer paid for itself in bread alone when it was little more than a year old.  I will admit I have an appliance addiction.  I actually use ALL of my gadgets.  I love my little machines.

• Like 1