Menu

December Grocery Frugalistas

Ethel Mertz

I don't usually post on these threads, but I HAVE TO SHARE!!!!

Today I found turkeys on sale for 10 cents a pound. They are fresh, not frozen, so the store wants to sell them before their expiration date. I bought two twenty pounders, for $2 apiece!! One has just come out of the oven, and I'll cook the second tomorrow.

I may go crazy and buy another one after that. When can you get meat for 10 cents a pound??

After Thanksgiving, I made broth from the carcass, and I ended up with a lot more broth than meat for my freezer. I'm making up for it now. Lots of turkey tetrazzini, pot pie, and soup in our future.

• Like 6

I have been doing Walmart grocery pick up and I think it is saving me money-for sure it is saving me time. I don’t know why I have been resistant to doing this before. I spent $150 on Sunday and I am hoping it lasts until next Sunday. Usually we need a second trip for produce and milk, bread, and eggs. 

My 2 in public school are still buying lunches, but we have been doing really well on homemade breakfasts and dinners. I’m going to start having them bring lunch 2 days a week and then work up from there. 

8 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I don't usually post on these threads, but I HAVE TO SHARE!!!!

Today I found turkeys on sale for 10 cents a pound. They are fresh, not frozen, so the store wants to sell them before their expiration date. I bought two twenty pounders, for $2 apiece!! One has just come out of the oven, and I'll cook the second tomorrow.

I may go crazy and buy another one after that. When can you get meat for 10 cents a pound??

After Thanksgiving, I made broth from the carcass, and I ended up with a lot more broth than meat for my freezer. I'm making up for it now. Lots of turkey tetrazzini, pot pie, and soup in our future.

Do you have a chest freezer? If so, buy as many as you can fit! 

• Like 2

I technically started my December shopping in November. I spent $143 at Aldi on Saturday because of the winter storm Sunday into Monday.  I might need some more produce, but the rest (plus freezer) should take us through to next Monday.

I did screw up some of my turkey soup, lol. I made 2 containers for the freezer and one to eat, and decided to add tiny pasta to the one to eat.  I didn’t pay close enough attention to ratios and wound up with more of a turkey stew, but it was yummy!