Menu

What's with the ads?

Melissa in Australia

year round homeschoolers planning thread for 2020

Yes! I have!

I had to send off registration for my youngest, which now must include a learning plan, so I was forced to start planning. I've got most of the plan thought through. I like planning. 😁

I'll have 9th, 7th, 4th & 1st graders in 2020.

• Like 3

We are  thinking that ds16 will be going to TAFE next year. We are just waiting to complete the application process.  So I am only planning on homeschooling  the twins, they will be in grade 2 next year.

I like planning as well. I  have almost completed my planning and purchasing.  

• Like 3

We're year-round calendar schoolers.  I don't like planning - stresses me out.  I like the actual teaching part better.  Also, I'm now only teaching 4 (Kid #1 graduated).

We're still doing unit studies.  I only have the first unit study planned.  

Ds16, dd14 and dd12 are doing a Chemistry/Robotics unit study + math + Progeny Press literature guides. 

Ds4 is going to start My Father's World Kindergarten.

• Like 4

We kinda started early. I will have an 8th/9th grader, a 5th/6th grader, a preschooler, and Son 3 (ASD) who doesn’t fit in anything exactly.

I have 2 using BJU dlo for a bunch of things plus a reading list. It gets done. I expect them to finish 2 levels by the end of 2020 but as always— we will have to see.

Son 3 is going to do the next levels of his current plan cause it’s working and he isn’t fighting me. Saxon, Hake, All American History, Tiner Science books, Word Roots, and reading whatever books he likes daily. I’m not sure where to go for history and science when he finishes the current choices. I’m putting it off until I have to decide.

Captain’s materials are still being decided. He has all the basic things down like numbers to 20, colors, all the letters with names and first sounds, shapes, etc.. but is still delayed speech wise and not ready to learn to write. He is straddling that odd space of too old/advanced for basic ABC based programs and too young for PreK. I don’t want to push him too soon, but I don’t want him bored, either. I do know from trying a few that he really doesn’t like R&S books at. all. but does like MP books. The Girl is going to be teaching with me. So far, we like FIAR and maybe MP Simply Classical B. It is driving me batty trying to figure it out!

ADDING: I love planning but get frustrated when my beautiful plans hit the reality of the children I have.

Edited by Paradox5
missed half a sentence!
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

We are  thinking that ds16 will be going to TAFE next year. We are just waiting to complete the application process.  So I am only planning on homeschooling  the twins, they will be in grade 2 next year.

I like planning as well. I  have almost completed my planning and purchasing.  

What is he hoping to study at TAFE?

We are pretty much planning to start over with new curriculum in the new year, but all I have done is planned to plan, and look at a few samples  I don’t have a clue what we’ll use yet.

• Like 2

We will be doing the Modern Age  for 2020.

History - SOTW 

Science - The twins learn really well by making lapbooks and having a display table We are going to concentrate on teh first half of the year doing rocks,  minerals and fossils. I have a range of science  activity kits, we will do some rock collecting and classifying and make some charts. We will hopefully then move onto a short unit on weather and  I haven't completely decided on what for the last part of the year. I keep thinking I will do Adventures with Atoms - I used it with all my other children  but we will see.

Mathematics - we will be moving into Saxon 2 - as well as something I call fun math which is a printed by me book that has a collection of math reasoning by critical thinking co.

plus Fitzroy Math  at a level below what they are at; very basic addition and subtraction, dot patterns,  shapes etc.

We are also using Usborne Numbers , which is  basically dot to dots and learning how to count. and reading eggs Mango

Reading- All reading programs move too fast for these guys so we spend a few months on AAR2 then switch to Fitzroy readers, back and forth. We also do reading eggs 

will post rest of plan after I have done afternoon school with my kids 🙂

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

What is he hoping to study at TAFE?

We are pretty much planning to start over with new curriculum in the new year, but all I have done is planned to plan, and look at a few samples  I don’t have a clue what we’ll use yet.

He isn't hoping to study anything. he has become completely disengaged. So  while he works out what he wants to study he is enrolling in a Certificate 3 in Conservation and Land Management.  If by the end of next year he still hasn't worked out what he wants to do he will go in to do the Diploma of Conservation and Land Management like 2 of his siblings did. 

• Like 3

Phonics - a combination of things all reassembled by me into small books of 30 pages. includes Abeka phonics 1  plus phonics from Critical thinking co. plus LEM ( an Australian phonics ). This is a review and helping to consolidate learning. it is a book I can give one twin to do almost independently while I do AAR with the other twin.  Explode the Code twice a week  

Spelling - AAR 1 we only do 4 words a day and are using Word Wizard app  . We are also going to give Spelling You See a trial as a combined penmanship plus word reinforcement

Writing - WWE 2 plus we do Narration daily from a book chosen form Usborne reading library for confident readers. I do the reading they do the narrating I write it down and they draw the picture.  we also will  some copywork a few times a week from Homeschool  Downunder 

Penmanship-   a combination of different things including Print wacky sentences, something that I haven't found yet and  maybe Handwriting Practice jokes and riddles  

Music - will just involve listening. we listen to classical music every day while we do our schoolwork

craft is covered by respite worker

20 minutes of numeracy and literacy apps on ipad as a reward

We will also be doing exercises and tasks  recommended by OT and speech pathologist

I think I have everything covered.

Edited to add

Language/grammar a combination of FLL plus Abeka Language 1

Edited by Melissa in Australia
I forgot to include something
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Wow Melissa, 

That seems so thorough and well thought out.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall and learn from you!

thank you, you are so kind. I have had 17 years of planning practice. The problem I have is slowing down enough for my students. 

I get so envious of people who have children that are  reading thick novels for fun and teaching themselves. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

thank you, you are so kind. I have had 17 years of planning practice. The problem I have is slowing down enough for my students. 

I get so envious of people who have children that are  reading thick novels for fun and teaching themselves. 

I have one of those kids, if you count ebooks that would be thick if printed out:  We’ve got a few other challenges though.  😜

• Like 1

I am after-schooling..... my son is finishing up Saxon Intermediate 3.  I have some Kumon 4th grade multiplication and division books we may do a bit.  And review math facts and skip counting.  Then on to Saxon Intermediate 4.

I have AAS 1 and 2.  He is in AAS 1 and it is very similar to what he does in spelling at school.  I get it out every now and then to review and practice.  He is towards the end of AAS 1.  

And then reading practice..... I am having him read out loud here and there, but he is not a fan, so I don’t want to make too big a deal of it. (He has gone through AAR 3 at home though not with reading all the stories.... he has comprehension issues.... but he is making progress).  

Listening is going extremely well!  I have quite a few books he is interested in and could listen to 🙂. Right now he is really into listening to Goosebumps books on the Epic reading app.  Very good for him!  

My other two kids are doing well at school and to some extent are established independent readers.  My oldest has one series he likes and just got the new book in it.  My daughter has a few series she is interested in and reads all the time.  So — that is fine with me lol.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

That sounds like a wonderful plan for the twins Melissa! Well done.

So far, my plan is to go a bit more Charlotte Mason-y with my boys and to focus my energy on the youngers, while the olders work on being more independent. I found wildwood Charlotte mason curriculum (secular) quite inspiring, combined with good old AO. 

My 9th grader is already quite independent, the only thing she's slack on is output/writing. She has decided to work through Writing With Skill 2 next year, which I think is a good decision. She'll probably do AOPS algebra, I think, because I already have it and she likes aops. Though I want to get my hands on some other books to look at so she can choose. I'd like to get a copy of dolciani & Jacob's & an Aussie 9th grade maths book - but, money! 9th grade gets expensive! Other focus for her will be music & music theory. She's working on ameb grade 8 and joined an orchestra, so her theory needs to catch up to her practical skills. She's got two other books she wants to work through, a baking book from the French Culinary Institute and a book on Neuroanatomy. The first she may end up doing with her grandmother once a week or fortnight (my MIL thought the book looked amazing and wanted to horn in on it. 😄)  History is not her favourite, so she'll just have some assigned books and/or an easy textbook. We're finally up to the modern age - it's taken us 8 years to meander 3/4 of the way through one cycle! I haven't decided whether to require a language of her next year.

My 7th grade boy really likes to be independent and cross off his checklist. It's just a matter of scheduling in the subjects that he still needs me for. He'll still tag along with some of the younger boys stuff - art/craft, history and science etc - as his base and then extend it with independent work. He will do WWS1, possibly killgallon grammar, & mapping the world with art. I'm not sure what maths for him, we may end up just using an Aussie 7th grade text and supplementing with bits and pieces (jousting armadillos, life of Fred, key to...). He's a capable, can-do kid, an avid reader and deep thinker, so I don't worry too much about him. He'll keep going with his music too.

I'll come back to add my younger too a bit later. Sorry for the novel, writing it out helps me think.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

LMD writing it out helps me as well. And I really enjoy reading other people's plans. It helps me analyse my own plans. 

Reading other people's plans is super helpful to me as a new homeschooler!  Thank you all!

Edited by CuriousMomof3
Because I want to thank everyone sharing, not sure why I wrote "both".
  • Like 3

I have a 5th-ish grader. 

Math: Finish Beast Academy 5 and Start AOPS Pre-Algebra (I have no idea when we'll make this switch because it is taking forever to finish this year)

Grammar, Vocabulary, Poetry: Michael Clay Thompson. We are working through the Town level right now.  I expect we'll be done in April, and then we'll move on to the next level.

Writing: We will be starting IEW level B

Science: I am still deciding whether we will use CPO Science Earth or CPO Science Life.  

Philosophy: The Circle of Happiness from Royal Fireworks Press

Art: Continue with weekly art classes and once a month "meet the artist" books

History: We've gone through all 4 SOTW and kiddo keeps going back to ancients as his favorite. I need to move him along because I can't listen to any more Jim Weiss, (nothing personal! It's just been on continuous loop in the car for a year!)

Latin: Minimus

Chess club, Dungeons & Dragons

We're going to try a co-op for a graphic novel study in January.  If he doesn't care for the co-op, we'll ditch it and sign up for classes at the Maker Space. 

• Like 2

I guess I could be more detailed - I didn't think about it until someone mentioned -it probably does help other parents see a list.  Our unit study will take us to the end of February, when I'll have to create the next one...

ds4 (turning 5): My Father's World Kindergarten

dd12's math + LA + unit study

• Dimensions Math (continuing)
  • Where the Red Fern Grows + Progeny Press Guide
  • Easy Grammar Plus (it takes our family 2 years to get through this)
  • Sequential Spelling
  • Case for Christ for Kids (Bible)
  • Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity (Biography)
  • Intro to Chemistry Kit (27 labs from Home Science Tools)
  • Happy Atoms
  • VEX IQ Robotics (they are all going to work as a team to perform tasks)
  • Draw 50 Buildings and Other Structures 
  • Field Trip to a Flight Museum

ds16 and dd14 math + LA + unit study

• Mathusee (one is in Algebra 2 and the other is in Geometry)
  • Easy Grammar high school series
  • Sequential Spelling 5 (yeah, the 14 ASKED for this...)
  • Fahrenheit 451 + Progeny Press Literature Guide
  • Genesis (Bible)
  • Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb (History)
  • MicroChem Kit (17 labs - from Home Science Tools)
  • Electricity Kit (also from HST)
  • Happy Atoms
  • VEX IQ Robotics (like I said above, they'll work as a team to build robots to perform specific tasks)
  • Art - stack of books on drawing different buildings and vehicles
  • Field Trip to a Flight Museum

After this unit study, ds16 and I have started talking about creating a unit study on 3 revolutions: the American Revolution, the French Revolution and the Russian Revolution.  But, I haven't started planning that one, yet.  Just starting to think about it.

• Like 3

Graphic novel study sounds interesting MissLemon! 

Your unit studies sound great Evanthe!

I'm back to update about my younger kids and stuff I forgot 😄

My kids all do nature journals, we live on 20acres so they just go, observe, write and draw. This is actually a big chunk of DS9's writing and I will pull his spelling lists from it using ABC's and all their tricks. They have to make 5 observations: weather, animal, plant, natural interesting and maintenance. Write their observations (1 sentence each item for DS9, more than that for DS12 & DD14, I scribe for DS6.)

We have one car school day a week when we travel for music lessons, in the car we'll listen to apologia zoology 1, sotw4 & foreign language podcast/folk songs. While waiting for their lesson, the kids complete maths, assigned reading & grammar.

We all do bible together in the morning, followed by memory work. I may have the older two do a proverbs study but undecided. Once a week we read Genevieve Foster history & do picture study. We do the zoology activities during the week as well.

During the week all the boys together will do handicraft projects (probably starting with embroidery or crochet), drawing and brush drawing. We take a mid school break for tai chi/movement. Once a week we'll listen to a composer, I may try to sync this with our history period.

DS9 will do WWE/FLL3 and continue with Beast Academy 3. He'll do map drills twice a week, Rosetta stone &duolingo Russian & history biography reading.

DS6 will do LLATL, whiteboard writing with LEM phonics, Miquon maths. We'll work through 'tales' as per the wildwood curriculum (Aesop, Beatrix Potter, Fairy tales).

DS12 & DS9 will read through Plutarch with me twice a week.

DS6 should finish by 12.30 each day (+ music practice in the afternoon), DS9 will finish by 1.30 (+ music practice and some reading in the afternoon), DS12 & DD14 by 2.30pm ish (+ music practice and some reading)

It sounds complicated, there's a lot of moving parts! But there's a rhythm to the days that makes sense and should work well. 

Oh, and we'll try to get swimming fortnightly. My youngest needs to learn and my olders need to keep up their skills. Add in homeschool group meet ups and excursions and it's busy!

Edited by LMD
  • Like 2

Also, I  haven't started putting their book lists together yet. A lot of the meat for the older three comes from their extra reading in history, science and lit. 

• Like 1

sounds excellent LMD

That reminds me that  I should look into some more audio books for traveling. We do a 100 km trip each way to swimming every Saturday. I think we have listened to our supply of audio books 50 times each. 

• Like 1

I finished tutoring for the year!! Last kid left an hour ago.  I'm Freeeeeee. (well, except for 2 more weeks with my ds, haha). 

Time to P.L.A.N.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LMD said:

A lot of the meat for the older three comes from their extra reading in history, science and lit. 

Yeah, we learn a lot that's "unplanned".  DD14 just spent two days telling me all about the Navajo Marines in WWII, the Japanese soldiers on the islands in the Pacific and Marine training, because of a book she read and a movie she watched.  She was relentless, too.  She just kept following me around, telling me about it.  lol. Must've been an interesting book! 

• Like 2