Menu

What's with the ads?

seekinghim45

Music Theater/Auditions/Housing

Hello everyone,

So.. my daughter is a senior and has been accepted to her two schools. She will be applying to a nearby community college that has a musical theater major as a back-up this week.  She will be auditioning in February and find out in ???? if she has been accepted to the musical theater program at each of the schools.  Meanwhile both have said to send in deposits to secure her place and her housing.  Some of these are refundable.  Some are not.  Those of you who have been through this rodeo, can you give me some advice.  Thanks.

• Sad 1

My kid auditioned for music programs last year (vocal performance, but he's into theater too) and his auditions were in February.  He had a number of academic acceptances prior to auditions starting in October.  And there was no way we were sending in any deposits prior to having the full picture on financials and music acceptance.  That said, I may have been more open to it if it were refundable and there was an easy process for pulling out.  My kid applied to 10 schools and auditioned at 6 so it was a bigger process.  My kid committed to a school in late April and was still waiting on a waitlist spot a month after that (though I wasn't enthusiastic about that option at that point).  So it really felt fairly up in the air until the last minute.

I'd look at the individual policies.  Do they guarantee housing for freshman?  Might there be theater/honors housing options if you wait?  Is it refundable?  Is there an actual benefit to committing early?  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1

My DD didn't have specialized programs or auditions, but did end up sending in a housing deposit at one school early on. All but $25 was refundable and getting her first pick of housing was super important to her. The other two schools she waited on because housing was guaranteed for freshmen & she liked all the housing available for the honors kids. Plus, she would have had to commit to one of the schools & pay a non-refundable deposit for that. That was a no go in those circumstances.

So, check out each school individually!

• Like 1

Are you sure they're asking for money to hold her spot? Most colleges participate in Decision Day, which means they don't require an answer on attendance until May 1. Even then, tuition is not due until fall. One of my kids accepted early and did early orientation in spring of senior year and the other considered it. At both schools, even the early orientation fee was just added to the bill and paid months later. I would clarify exactly what they're asking for. I know some schools do have an enrollment deposit that is due earlier than tuition, but you're not supposed to pay it at more than one school because it signifies acceptance. So, yeah, just state that she is awaiting auditions if they call you. 

Housing deposits can vastly improve your chances of living on campus when dorm space is tight. There's no need to send it early if housing for freshman is required or guaranteed. If it's more of an iffy situation, you have to weigh the non-refundable portion against the chance of not getting housing. If she doesn't get housing on campus, will she be disappointed? Will she be able to make off-campus housing work? With only two schools in the mix, I'd lean toward sending deposits if housing is tight, but we didn't encounter any outrageous deposits that weren't mostly refundable.