Menu

December Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

1 minute ago, SKL said:

Howdy!  I made it to the 4-hour TKD camp and passed another belt test.  4 hours were hard on my body as I'm so out of shape.  But I am really glad I went - not only did I pass the test, but the teacher said it was my best belt test yet, which was nice to hear.  It probably helped that I did the form alone and at my own pace.  Trying to keep pace with others can be really distracting for me.

I hope I am sufficiently inspired to get back into a good exercise routine.  I have been a mess lately.

Congratulations on the belt promotion!! Four hours is a long time to be moving and training. Glad it was a positive experience for you! It's nice to get inspired to get into a good routine. Group training is great for this!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

Ok, so you aren't thinking about swimming off the coast of Newfoundland, with the icebergs. It's still friggin' cold!!!!  Tell me you are at least having some major hot flashes to help off-set the icy water. 😉

Nope, way past that. However, I suspect the water will be zingy.

5 hours ago, soror said:

I'm majorly impressed you even signed up, you are a tough cookie. Good for you, way to go after your goal, please report when you come back.

Will do. I'm a bit nervous.

5 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

Yes we have probably a foot or so of snow

No snow here yet.

Here's a video about Scotland's water temperatures. Language warning.

https://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/calum-macleans-scottish-temperature-guide/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Nope, way past that. However, I suspect the water will be zingy.

You go, girl!  Have a nice big, warm towel (or two) waiting in the car with your dh, maybe some hot tea. You'll be fine. It must feel pretty good if people keep doing it. 

A nice hot shower or bath at home afterwards would be good, too.

Do report back and let us know how it all goes!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wintermom said:

You go, girl!  Have a nice big, warm towel (or two) waiting in the car with your dh, maybe some hot tea. You'll be fine. It must feel pretty good if people keep doing it. 

A nice hot shower or bath at home afterwards would be good, too.

Do report back and let us know how it all goes!

Apparently hot showers do strange things to your blood pressure after a cold swim. We have a fire to warm up by though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Apparently hot showers do strange things to your blood pressure after a cold swim. We have a fire to warm up by though.

Or you could take a bath and keep your arms and legs out of the water initially.  At least that's what my life-guarding courses always said about hypothermia.  

How long are you planning to swim?  In Finland, they warm up in a sauna, plunge in a cold pool, then go straight back into a sauna. I did it a few times, and it's amazing. I think your entire body is going to be in a state of shock with the icy swim anyway. I'd shower and just adjust the temperature if you feel yourself getting faint.

Sitting by a fire is ok, but it only warms one side of the body. I need the full body warmth usually if I'm really cold and have been cold for a while.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wintermom said:

Or you could take a bath and keep your arms and legs out of the water initially.  At least that's what my life-guarding courses always said about hypothermia.  

How long are you planning to swim?  In Finland, they warm up in a sauna, plunge in a cold pool, then go straight back into a sauna. I did it a few times, and it's amazing. I think your entire body is going to be in a state of shock with the icy swim anyway. I'd shower and just adjust the temperature if you feel yourself getting faint.

I think that swimming might be a big word for the experience. 'Walking in carefully to avoid inhaling when I gasp from the cold, maybe swimming a few strokes, then turning around and coming out' might be more like it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

I think that swimming might be a big word for the experience. 'Walking in carefully to avoid inhaling when I gasp from the cold, maybe swimming a few strokes, then turning around and coming out' might be more like it.

Yup. That was my swimming experiences growing up in Northern Alberta. Though once you get numb, you can stay in longer and "play" around. This is why I try to avoid cold water now. 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

I swam in the sea as a child, but I don't have much memory of it.

Luckily you've blocked it from your memory! 😂  My most enjoyable outdoor swimming experiences were in natural hot springs in the Canadian and US Rocky Mountains and in iceland. That's the way to swim in the winter and summer!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, soror said:

Wow, 1 ft of snow is a very, very rare occurrence here.

I'm considering doing an actual OCR training program, IDK, I have 1 more week of current plans so I need to decide what I want to do next, I keep changing my mind. I was looking on my OCR group for rec's and checking out some of those- looking at samples- very high volume, so much incline work and running, on the plus size they are simple. Now, of course they rec. to work up to it and do what you can but wow. 

examples workouts:

1: Treadmill x 15% incline x 7min, strict pull-ups (no kipping) x 10, lunges x 40, pull-ups x 5, treadmill w/no incline x 7min, repeat exercises, 15% incline x 6min, repeat exercises, no incline x 6min, repeat exercises, 15% x 5min, repeat exercises, no incline x 5min, repeat exercises, 15% x 4min, repeat exercises, no incline x 4min, repeat exercises.

3:

• Aerobic training zone pace run x 7min – transition to tempo pace run x 3min
  • lunges x 100
  • farmer’s walk x 90sec,
  • pull-up x 1, 5sec hang – continue repeating until forced to drop
  • farmer’s walk x 60sec
  • pull-up x 1, 5sec hang – continue repeating until forced to drop
  • This completes 1 round – continue repeating for 6 rounds.
  • Once you complete the 6 rounds move on to the 2nd phase of the session:
  • Towel hang for max time, rest x 20sec, continue repeating until you’re not able to hang for longer than 5sec, move the rest period to 30sec and continue until you’re no longer able to hang for longer than 5sec.

You are gonna be a beast after all this!  SuperSoror!

2 hours ago, SKL said:

Howdy!  I made it to the 4-hour TKD camp and passed another belt test.  4 hours were hard on my body as I'm so out of shape.  But I am really glad I went - not only did I pass the test, but the teacher said it was my best belt test yet, which was nice to hear.  It probably helped that I did the form alone and at my own pace.  Trying to keep pace with others can be really distracting for me.

8 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

Yes we have probably a foot or so of snow

What is this "snow" y'all are referring to, lol.  So crazy--yesterday it was almost 80 degrees and I had to wear mosquito repellent during my workout. 

Yay!  Congrats! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SKL said:

I hope I am sufficiently inspired to get back into a good exercise routine.  I have been a mess lately.

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

Remind me what OCR stands for. Do you do these exercises all on your own or with a group of people? I'd definitely need a group atmosphere to commit to this, but perhaps you find it really fun to do on your own. 

Obstacle Course Race, there are lots and lots running the races but I will not be in a team. Others say the atmosphere is very welcoming and helpful, people pulling together to get through hard things.

39 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

You are gonna be a beast after all this!  SuperSoror!

What is this "snow" y'all are referring to, lol.  So crazy--yesterday it was almost 80 degrees and I had to wear mosquito repellent during my workout. 

Yay!  Congrats! 

LOL. I told dh the more I read the more I get scared (and excited). A lot of things don't look bad on their own but all of them in a row, holy moly. I feel in decent shape overall but reading the list itself is humbling. This is me facing my lack of endurance and heat tolerance too though b/c the race is in August - these have been the biggest challenges w/ thyroid disease. I have been working on these though and have months more to prepare. The goal is to finish, however slow I must go. From what I've read so far I'm expecting the 5k to take 90m-2hrs.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, soror said:

Obstacle Course Race, there are lots and lots running the races but I will not be in a team. Others say the atmosphere is very welcoming and helpful, people pulling together to get through hard things.

LOL. I told dh the more I read the more I get scared (and excited). A lot of things don't look bad on their own but all of them in a row, holy moly. I feel in decent shape overall but reading the list itself is humbling. This is me facing my lack of endurance and heat tolerance too though b/c the race is in August - these have been the biggest challenges w/ thyroid disease. I have been working on these though and have months more to prepare. The goal is to finish, however slow I must go. From what I've read so far I'm expecting the 5k to take 90m-2hrs.

That sounds like an amazing challenge!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soror said:

Oh wow! I didn't realize that you'd do all this for a race.... to do all at the same time. That is very impressive!   Will you do all the training for this on your own, or is there an obstacle training group you can hang out with?

• Like 2

I forgot to say that tennis yesterday was awesome! I played pretty badly at first, but started getting better as I got warmed up.  We're going to play again tomorrow! 

I'll go for a nice long walk today, and do some house clean up. It's sunny and warm outside again. Still supposed to storm tomorrow, I think. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Oh wow! I didn't realize that you'd do all this for a race.... to do all at the same time. That is very impressive!   Will you do all the training for this on your own, or is there an obstacle training group you can hang out with?

Yes, it is 5k interspersed with 20+ obstacles- like throwing a spear, climbing over walls, monkey bars, carrying heavy stuff(50-70# stones, 50-80# buckets, etc), crawling under barbed wire and a bunch of other stuff.

43 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I forgot to say that tennis yesterday was awesome! I played pretty badly at first, but started getting better as I got warmed up.  We're going to play again tomorrow! 

I'll go for a nice long walk today, and do some house clean up. It's sunny and warm outside again. Still supposed to storm tomorrow, I think. 

I'm glad to hear you had a good time and you get to play again tomorrow, very nice. 

I'm going to go ahead and start the thread for the new year if you ladies don't mind, I know everyone is gearing up for the new year and it is just a few days out. Personally I like to plan for my week on Sunday and we change months and years in the middle of the week (so annoying).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

@soror Make sure you have someone video you throwing a spear!  That will be awesome!

LOL, I am pretty certain it will not be awesome!!! I read that only 14% nail that obstacle, I'd put my own chances closer to 1%. With so much else to work on to that is such a specialized skill I'll likely not train for it much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

LOL, I am pretty certain it will not be awesome!!! I read that only 14% nail that obstacle, I'd put my own chances closer to 1%. With so much else to work on to that is such a specialized skill I'll likely not train for it much.

What is your plan to train for the spear chucking! If you have any sons, you may have some competition throwing spears around the house. 😂  We need video!! 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

Will your snow stay around for weeks or does it tend to melt pretty quickly.  Our ground is so cold that even rain on top of our snow doesn't melt it. We need a fresh dump of snow so we can ski and snowshoe. I'm not sure what the storm that's forecast will be. Could be freezing rain, which will not be fun.

We're in the Canadian Rockies, so the snow just continues to pile up throughout the winter.  We moved here from Nebraska, where the snow just blows away or melts after each storm, so we didn't ever have a lot of snow for sledding and such.  My kids love it here! (My hubby and I love it too 🙂 )

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

We're in the Canadian Rockies, so the snow just continues to pile up throughout the winter.  We moved here from Nebraska, where the snow just blows away or melts after each storm, so we didn't ever have a lot of snow for sledding and such.  My kids love it here! (My hubby and I love it too 🙂 )

Of course you love it, it's simply gorgeous!  Are you in Alberta or BC rockies? Warmer areas or Jasper and cold area? It's kind of shocking how much colder Jasper is compared to Fairmont area. Must be higher altitude as well as farther north. I used to camp in Jasper growing up, and I thought all camping was freezing cold. 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

What is your plan to train for the spear chucking! If you have any sons, you may have some competition throwing spears around the house. 😂  We need video!! 

LOL, tbh, it is not high on my list to train for, maybe once I feel I have a better handle on everything else I'll try to tackle it. As of now the plan is to give it a try but expect I'll be doing the 30 burpee penalty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soror said:

LOL, tbh, it is not high on my list to train for, maybe once I feel I have a better handle on everything else I'll try to tackle it. As of now the plan is to give it a try but expect I'll be doing the 30 burpee penalty.

Ouch! That is a pretty severe penalty for missing a throw. The weather could be crazy with wind and rain. Sounds just mean. This event organisers seem to favour young people who don't care about the wear and tear on the knees by doing burpees. I hate that movement. Why not just run a little lap, like in biathlon?  Clearly these people have issues. 😕

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

Ouch! That is a pretty severe penalty for missing a throw. The weather could be crazy with wind and rain. Sounds just mean. This event organisers seem to favour young people who don't care about the wear and tear on the knees by doing burpees. I hate that movement. Why not just run a little lap, like in biathlon?  Clearly these people have issues. 😕

LOL, that is the penalty for missing any obstacles. I've done so many burpees w/ MM that I'm hating them less.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, soror said:

LOL, that is the penalty for missing any obstacles. I've done so many burpees w/ MM that I'm hating them less.

For some reason martial artists think burpees are a good training exercise. They aren't. Protect your knees. Ask to do something other than burpees, unless you want to wreck the cartilage in your knees. 

Of course you love it, it's simply gorgeous!  Are you in Alberta or BC rockies? Warmer areas or Jasper and cold area? It's kind of shocking how much colder Jasper is compared to Fairmont area. Must be higher altitude as well as farther north. I used to camp in Jasper growing up, and I thought all camping was freezing cold. 😂

We're in BC, about an hour and a half north of Fairmont, but up on a mountain side so much more snow than down in the valley

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

We're in BC, about an hour and a half north of Fairmont, but up on a mountain side so much more snow than down in the valley

Wow! Sounds amazing. I imagine you would get loads of snow. Do you have special stud tires for your vehicle, or are winter tires (plus chains in really bad weather) enough? I lived in Norway for 4 years, and everyone used studded tires. It was the only way to get up and down the hills - even one's own driveway. 😉

I hope you are able to take advantage of the skiing while you're up in the mountains. Do your dc ski?  I learned to Telemark ski in Norway, and that was my favourite way to get around in the winter - add to that the fact that I didn't have my own car! 😁

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

I just finished my outdoor upper-body work out with windshield scraping. The ice was really think and hard, and that was just the stuff coming straight from the air! Ouch!!  I've now experienced an actual ice shower with strong winds. Not fun. Eye protection is definitely required. 🥶 My morning walk shall be postponed.

• Like 2

Wow! Sounds amazing. I imagine you would get loads of snow. Do you have special stud tires for your vehicle, or are winter tires (plus chains in really bad weather) enough? I lived in Norway for 4 years, and everyone used studded tires. It was the only way to get up and down the hills - even one's own driveway. 😉

I hope you are able to take advantage of the skiing while you're up in the mountains. Do your dc ski?  I learned to Telemark ski in Norway, and that was my favourite way to get around in the winter - add to that the fact that I didn't have my own car! 😁

Winter tires are required by law from October through April in BC.  I have studded winter tires which are wonderful!  We don't ski (I did a couple of times as a teenager, I'm terrible at it) but sometime soon we may sign the kids up for a ski or snowboarding lesson so they can try it out.  My daughter and I did do a bit of crosscountry skiing last winter and enjoyed that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got my little walk in with the dog and shovelled some snow. That was my outdoor stuff checked off.

Food related: I made a pumpkin pie (gluten and dairy free), and dd and I had some Fondue Chinoise (hot beef broth, then put in very thin pieces of raw meat and veggies). It was delicious! It's like Vietnamese Pho without the noodles. 

• Like 1