Menu

December Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

And I hurt my toe, rather stupidly. There is a post in front of the pull-up bar, I kicked it with my very light shoes on, it is swollen and discolored. So, I just don't know how much it will affect my exercise. I'm certain I can't run. I'm thinking anything jumping will be a no go. I'm going to try my yoga/stretching today and see how that goes.

lifting last night and 1 mile incline walk (which was somewhat limping)- not my best, not my worst workout

Sleep much better, nearly 7 hrs! 

I planned to go to BUTI this evening but that is TBD based on how my foot does today 😞 😞 

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, soror said:

And I hurt my toe, rather stupidly. There is a post in front of the pull-up bar, I kicked it with my very light shoes on, it is swollen and discolored. So, I just don't know how much it will affect my exercise. I'm certain I can't run. I'm thinking anything jumping will be a no go. I'm going to try my yoga/stretching today and see how that goes.

lifting last night and 1 mile incline walk (which was somewhat limping)- not my best, not my worst workout

Sleep much better, nearly 7 hrs! 

I planned to go to BUTI this evening but that is TBD based on how my foot does today 😞 😞 

So sorry you stubbed your toe. It's really annoying and frustrating when these self-inflicted injuries happen. First there's the pain, and then you have no one but an innocent post to blame. 😉 Hope you feel better really soon!

• Like 1

I just returned from a bunch of driving, and then a lunch-hour concert with a friend. It was lovely! Beautiful and relaxing music was exactly what I needed, along with a sympathetic ear. 

I stunk up the kitchen with fish smell, which I happen to like but the rest of the family doesn't. Lighting a candle (a trick my mom used to do) isn't helping much. 

I'm going to get out for a walk later today. Have to pace myself. 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I just returned from a bunch of driving, and then a lunch-hour concert with a friend. It was lovely! Beautiful and relaxing music was exactly what I needed, along with a sympathetic ear. 

I stunk up the kitchen with fish smell, which I happen to like but the rest of the family doesn't. Lighting a candle (a trick my mom used to do) isn't helping much. 

I'm going to get out for a walk later today. Have to pace myself. 😉

Sounds like a very nice day. I love fish too and they all hate the smell, I don't mind it.

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

So sorry you stubbed your toe. It's really annoying and frustrating when these self-inflicted injuries happen. First there's the pain, and then you have no one but an innocent post to blame. 😉 Hope you feel better really soon!

Yes! I hope it is better soon but I hit it pretty hard. I've done nothing today however as I got crazy dizzy this morning- even walking was too much- before I even tried to exercise and stayed dizzy until after lunch and still don't feel great. Maybe stress and cumulative sleep dep +PMS, IDK. I ate all the junk food and did nothing today.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, soror said:

Yes! I hope it is better soon but I hit it pretty hard. I've done nothing today however as I got crazy dizzy this morning- even walking was too much- before I even tried to exercise and stayed dizzy until after lunch and still don't feel great. Maybe stress and cumulative sleep dep +PMS, IDK. I ate all the junk food and did nothing today.

Yes, stress combined with lack of sleep can do a real number on dizzy feelings. Add in muscle pain and look out!  Hope things improve for you and your family. (( hugs))

• Like 2

It is the busy season.

I just did slow and easy Thursday as I just wasn't up for more, I did 10 miles on the recumbent bike but low level so that only took 35 min. 1 mile on treadmill, no incline.

Yesterday was lots of driving but we did go to the zoo and Ikea, so we did get in some walking.

Today I'm going lifting with my friend. I'm so happy she can go. I still don't feel great from the stress and lack of sleep but I'll just do what I can and enjoy the visit and stress relief. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, soror said:

It is the busy season.

I just did slow and easy Thursday as I just wasn't up for more, I did 10 miles on the recumbent bike but low level so that only took 35 min. 1 mile on treadmill, no incline.

Yesterday was lots of driving but we did go to the zoo and Ikea, so we did get in some walking.

Today I'm going lifting with my friend. I'm so happy she can go. I still don't feel great from the stress and lack of sleep but I'll just do what I can and enjoy the visit and stress relief. 

You are a brave woman! You actually went to IKEA this time of year? It's nutty here, though probably not as nutty as Costco.  How busy was the zoo? 

All the best dealing with the stress. Life is a roller-coaster, eh? Some bends are easier to handle than others. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Still going to OT 5x/week.  The studio got bought out (they're franchises) and the new owner, who apparently is buying up all the OTs in the state, has changed all the morning class times, much to the consternation of the local members, who the studio had worked with to come up with those times.  I'm more flexible, being an empty-nester only working extremely part time these days, but grr corporate overlords.

I've been thinking about how much I miss Pilates and yoga, and how like with everything else I'm never ever going to really do it at home, and was looking at the class packs at my old studio - there's one that's 10 classes for $140, but it's good for 5 months.  So I could go 2x a month for almost half a year.  I think I might buy myself that class pack as a Christmas present to me...  I'd still go to OT just as much, so every other week seems a reasonable add-on...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

You are a brave woman! You actually went to IKEA this time of year? It's nutty here, though probably not as nutty as Costco.  How busy was the zoo? 

All the best dealing with the stress. Life is a roller-coaster, eh? Some bends are easier to handle than others. 😉

Ikea seemed about the same as usual to me but we caught it early on Friday and schools are still in session. The zoo was great, we got there right when they opened, she was the only one in the Children's Zoo (and this is a BIG city zoo) but besides being early and on a school day it is winter. 

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Still going to OT 5x/week.  The studio got bought out (they're franchises) and the new owner, who apparently is buying up all the OTs in the state, has changed all the morning class times, much to the consternation of the local members, who the studio had worked with to come up with those times.  I'm more flexible, being an empty-nester only working extremely part time these days, but grr corporate overlords.

I've been thinking about how much I miss Pilates and yoga, and how like with everything else I'm never ever going to really do it at home, and was looking at the class packs at my old studio - there's one that's 10 classes for $140, but it's good for 5 months.  So I could go 2x a month for almost half a year.  I think I might buy myself that class pack as a Christmas present to me...  I'd still go to OT just as much, so every other week seems a reasonable add-on...

I don't understand why a company would buy a place out and change the times out if they are successful, I'd be annoyed to have to change things even if I could swing it. I understand missing yoga and pilates too, yoga was my primary exercise for years and now I don't do it much. I've been doing some at home w/ BB workouts and have enjoyed adding it back, it is good to balance out the strength and cardio work. 

I had a good lifting session with my friend, not my best but certainly not my worst and it felt good to get in there. I just got up from a lovely nap and am feeling much better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soror said:

I don't understand why a company would buy a place out and change the times out if they are successful, I'd be annoyed to have to change things even if I could swing it.

No one here gets it either.  It's one of the more successful/busy locations in the area.  The local staff had worked with the local members to figure out what times were good with traffic and local school pick-up/drop-offs.  A bunch of people with jobs and younger kids are having trouble with the new schedule.  5 or 10 minutes can be a ton with some of those constraints.  The new owners want the 'standard' 15 min between classes - the first two morning classes had only had 5 and 10 minutes between them - but now all the classes have shifted later.  Domino effect. The later morning classes ended up a full 1/2 hour later. Everyone's grumpy.  I can swing it, but yes, I'm also annoyed.  The people who actually work there are great and very apologetic.  They don't like it either.

I understand missing yoga and pilates too, yoga was my primary exercise for years and now I don't do it much. I've been doing some at home w/ BB workouts and have enjoyed adding it back, it is good to balance out the strength and cardio work. 

Yeah, the stretching and more targeted small muscle work is a great balance to all the lifting and cardio I've been doing.  Even twice a month would be nice.  If only I could be disciplined enough to do it at home!  I just have to be honest with myself... it's never gonna happen...

• Like 2

Hi everybody, sorry to have been absent for a few days.  Stress caught up to me big time and I haven't had the energy for anything.  I've mentioned before back in the weightloss group that both my sons have mild special needs, and "special" times of year can really bring out the most difficult aspects of all that.  I was looking forward to the kids spending 3 days with their dad prior to Christmas (and feeling guilty about needing a break, ugh), but he canceled yesterday last minute.  Plus I realized that I was not getting enough sleep and coping with stress by being too strict with my diet and thus undereating.  So I've been under-recovering in general which wore me down.  PLUS my slowly-healing hand injury.  So I got really overwhelmed.  Whew, thanks for letting me list all my woes, hahaha.  I've read all y'all's updates and I'm sorry for not replying directly to everyone.

At any rate, I added in a few more calories, more sleep, using some stress-coping strategies (I pulled a mountain of weeds yesterday on my parents' property!!!) and seem to be feeling better.  @soror I know things have been stressful for you lately and I'm glad to see you're feeling a little better too!  I'm planning on a strength training workout this morning, focusing on keeping the intensity level to the point where the workout stays energizing and not depleting.

Since the end of the year is drawing nigh, I've been thinking about what I've accomplished and learned in 2019.  This time last year, I was still experimenting with how to fit exercise into my busy day, doing mostly bodyweight calisthenics and CKD, dealing with the beginning of a long plantar fasciitis issue, and hoping to lose 10 lbs.  So I've accomplished making daily exercise a routine and enjoyable part of my schedule, lost 11 lbs, gained a ton of muscle, rehabbed my foot, and transitioned to mostly free-weight strength training.  I think the most important thing I learned this year is about balance and recovery.  You have to stress your body for it to strengthen and grow, but ALL stress, even mental and emotional, is part of that and if you go past a certain threshold of cumulative stress, you can derail progress right quick.  Recovery is multifaceted too.  Time, sleep, food, socializing, plain ole chillin'.  It all helps and it's all necessary.  It's so obvious, but with my personality, I like to either be in push-push-go-go mode OR snoozing on the couch.  So I have to keep everything in balance and that's hard.

Anyone else want to chime in with the years' accomplishments and lessons learned?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hi everybody, sorry to have been absent for a few days.  Stress caught up to me big time and I haven't had the energy for anything.  I've mentioned before back in the weightloss group that both my sons have mild special needs, and "special" times of year can really bring out the most difficult aspects of all that.  I was looking forward to the kids spending 3 days with their dad prior to Christmas (and feeling guilty about needing a break, ugh), but he canceled yesterday last minute.  Plus I realized that I was not getting enough sleep and coping with stress by being too strict with my diet and thus undereating.  So I've been under-recovering in general which wore me down.  PLUS my slowly-healing hand injury.  So I got really overwhelmed.  Whew, thanks for letting me list all my woes, hahaha.  I've read all y'all's updates and I'm sorry for not replying directly to everyone.

At any rate, I added in a few more calories, more sleep, using some stress-coping strategies (I pulled a mountain of weeds yesterday on my parents' property!!!) and seem to be feeling better.  @soror I know things have been stressful for you lately and I'm glad to see you're feeling a little better too!  I'm planning on a strength training workout this morning, focusing on keeping the intensity level to the point where the workout stays energizing and not depleting.

Since the end of the year is drawing nigh, I've been thinking about what I've accomplished and learned in 2019.  This time last year, I was still experimenting with how to fit exercise into my busy day, doing mostly bodyweight calisthenics and CKD, dealing with the beginning of a long plantar fasciitis issue, and hoping to lose 10 lbs.  So I've accomplished making daily exercise a routine and enjoyable part of my schedule, lost 11 lbs, gained a ton of muscle, rehabbed my foot, and transitioned to mostly free-weight strength training.  I think the most important thing I learned this year is about balance and recovery.  You have to stress your body for it to strengthen and grow, but ALL stress, even mental and emotional, is part of that and if you go past a certain threshold of cumulative stress, you can derail progress right quick.  Recovery is multifaceted too.  Time, sleep, food, socializing, plain ole chillin'.  It all helps and it's all necessary.  It's so obvious, but with my personality, I like to either be in push-push-go-go mode OR snoozing on the couch.  So I have to keep everything in balance and that's hard.

Anyone else want to chime in with the years' accomplishments and lessons learned?

I'm glad to see you Ivy, I was worrying about you.I am glad things are looking up for you, managing stress can be difficult when times get rough. I hope you have a lovely holiday with the boys. I was just talking to my lifting friend yesterday about this, she was telling me she had said no to this and that b/c it was stress on her body and she just didn't need more. I'm in a 'season of no' myself. I'm pulling back and contemplating.

This year's accomplishments, progress, etc:

Increased average daily step count back to 10k

continued on with weight training

continued with pull-up work and although I still don't have my dead hang I've made massive gains in strength and powered through setbacks and injury and it has really taught me a lot about balance and recovery- I absolutely have to keep my progress slow and incremental and take days off from upper body work to allow recovery- and some moves just do not work for me and I'm done with them.

FINALLY made it back to my preferred weight range and have maintained in that range for 6 months now

As of 8 weeks ago added in daily morning exercise.

a few wobbles here and there but mostly food and eating is in a good spot; aiming for balanced whole food diet most of the time, enjoying indulgences without guilt. Focusing on nourishing food that I enjoy and makes my body feel good. And eating enough to fuel workouts and activity and stay out of a deficit. 

Last week went nothing like I planned but that happens sometimes.

I did- 2 strength sessions; 2 Morning Meltdown Workouts (Fight Club & Core); 1 long cardio session (recumbent bike and treadmill walk)

I'm not sure my plans for next week, the kids do not have TKD and of course Wednesday is Christmas, I'll not be hitting the gym that day or working out at home, we will be having family time in the morning and then going to my parents and MiL's house. I think I might just do at home workouts all week. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, soror said:

and some moves just do not work for me and I'm done with them.

This is SO TRUE.  That's another lesson learned...just because some article says dips are crucial doesn't mean I have to do them since they destroy my elbows. 

Way to go on maintaining your preferred weight for 6 months.  Maintenance is it's own unique challenge and, in my opinion, shows an even greater degree of self-discipline.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

This is SO TRUE.  That's another lesson learned...just because some article says dips are crucial doesn't mean I have to do them since they destroy my elbows. 

Way to go on maintaining your preferred weight for 6 months.  Maintenance is it's own unique challenge and, in my opinion, shows an even greater degree of self-discipline.

And the older we get risking injury is not worth it. Maintenance is its own challenge for sure but I'm so much happier to be here than losing. I hate being at a deficit, makes exercise much easier too.

I did 3 workouts this morning but it wasn't all that intense- 1 yoga- 20 min, 1 revibe - 20 min(stretching mostly), and lower body (high reps lower weights) 30 min.

I reworked my exercise schedule to account for the holiday next week and missed workouts(2 left after this am) last week. I am not going to attempt running this week and will likely have to modify the HIIT workouts too, I know today I felt a bit skiddish even doing jumping jacks with my injured toe. I'll just do what I can. I don't expect to get in a BUTI class either, Tues and Thurs are just too late, Wed will be cancelled, we'll see if I have the time and inclination Friday.

• Like 3

@IvyInFlorida  Thanks for sharing the details of your journey. So sorry you've been dealing with stress, injury recovery and weight-loss issues. Congratulations to your building muscle and losing all that weight!! That's huge.  I really hope that you can get some respite time for yourself sometime really soon. Sounds like you need it, and you definitely deserve it! ((hugs))

@Slache So glad the treadmill is a source of joy and pleasure for your whole family! I hope you get your own time on the 'mill as well.

@soror  Love seeing all your on-going and new goals! So inspiring. I'm struggling simply to get in my daily walks these days. The cold weather and more so the early darkness at this time of year is always a struggle for me. 

My goals for 2020:

- Try to avoid "restricted diet burn-out" making my gluten-free and dairy-free meals for myself. It's only been 4 months and I'm already struggling, but if I slack off and eat wheat or dairy it's an immediate sharp pain in the gut. I have to focus on one day at a time, and not look at the decades ahead.

-  Keep doing physical activity to keep me in the "Green Zone" for stress reduction. 

- Intentionally work on my meditation/mindfulness/prayer capacity so I can utilise this for combatting stress

- Stay excited and positive about our Big Move to Colorado Springs. I wake up at night and start to stress about a million and one things. I know that I'd wake up and stress about a million and one things anyway, but I don't want it to always be the move. 😉

• Like 3

Finished week 3 of 80 day obsession.  I'm feeling a lot stronger and more confident in more workouts than the last time I tried doing 80 DO.  I haven't done many long walks/jogs because of icy conditions, but we're finally getting more snow and I should be able to bust out the snowshoes pretty soon 🙂  This has actually been a pretty great fitness year for me.  I've lost nearly 30 lbs, I've built a lot of muscle, and my stamina has really improved.  We've been in British Columbia a little over a year now, and it's been so motivating to be in better shape so we can get out and enjoy all the outdoor opportunities here.  We did a fair amount of snowshoeing last winter, I tried some cross-country skiing, in the summer we did several big hikes at national parks, climbed a mountainside, went swimming at the lake, and really just enjoyed ourselves.  I was able to be my husband's right-hand "man" helping with the cattle all year, which helped with my fitness and made me so happy, because I love cows 😍.  I've also succeeded in getting my kids into a more regular workout routine.  My youngest just finished Morning Meltdown 100 on Friday, and after a week off for Christmas he's going to try Core de Force.  My oldest should finish up MM100 right before Christmas, and she hasn't decided her next program yet.  

Goals for 2020: 

1.  Keep up the daily workouts.  I will finish up 80 DO before calving season starts in March, and then I'll pick a lighter, shorter workout for calving season because calving is physically demanding on its own.  

2.  Lose another 20-25 pounds.  

3.  Keep having outdoor adventures with the family...we are surrounded by 6 different national parks, lakes, the Columbia river, and endless forest 

4.  Keep encouraging my kids to be active and healthy!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

@IvyInFlorida  Thanks for sharing the details of your journey. So sorry you've been dealing with stress, injury recovery and weight-loss issues. Congratulations to your building muscle and losing all that weight!! That's huge.  I really hope that you can get some respite time for yourself sometime really soon. Sounds like you need it, and you definitely deserve it! ((hugs))

@Slache So glad the treadmill is a source of joy and pleasure for your whole family! I hope you get your own time on the 'mill as well.

@soror  Love seeing all your on-going and new goals! So inspiring. I'm struggling simply to get in my daily walks these days. The cold weather and more so the early darkness at this time of year is always a struggle for me. 

My goals for 2020:

- Try to avoid "restricted diet burn-out" making my gluten-free and dairy-free meals for myself. It's only been 4 months and I'm already struggling, but if I slack off and eat wheat or dairy it's an immediate sharp pain in the gut. I have to focus on one day at a time, and not look at the decades ahead.

-  Keep doing physical activity to keep me in the "Green Zone" for stress reduction. 

- Intentionally work on my meditation/mindfulness/prayer capacity so I can utilise this for combatting stress

- Stay excited and positive about our Big Move to Colorado Springs. I wake up at night and start to stress about a million and one things. I know that I'd wake up and stress about a million and one things anyway, but I don't want it to always be the move. 😉

Those are great goals, stress management is such a big one and so difficult in times of great change. I've been strictly GF for 11 yrs and was dairy free as well for a few years, it does get tiring and there are times it feels more annoying than others. I think the key has been thinking about the consequences (long and short term), not restricting other foods unless I have to and finding other yummy food to enjoy. I did AIP too for a year and that really burned me out, I'm so over restricting anymore than absolutely necessary. On the plus side, with Celiac disease the dairy intolerance is often secondary to that so as the gut heals you could be able to add that back in but that process could take a long time, it could be some of the other food issues resolve too.

5 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

Finished week 3 of 80 day obsession.  I'm feeling a lot stronger and more confident in more workouts than the last time I tried doing 80 DO.  I haven't done many long walks/jogs because of icy conditions, but we're finally getting more snow and I should be able to bust out the snowshoes pretty soon 🙂  This has actually been a pretty great fitness year for me.  I've lost nearly 30 lbs, I've built a lot of muscle, and my stamina has really improved.  We've been in British Columbia a little over a year now, and it's been so motivating to be in better shape so we can get out and enjoy all the outdoor opportunities here.  We did a fair amount of snowshoeing last winter, I tried some cross-country skiing, in the summer we did several big hikes at national parks, climbed a mountainside, went swimming at the lake, and really just enjoyed ourselves.  I was able to be my husband's right-hand "man" helping with the cattle all year, which helped with my fitness and made me so happy, because I love cows 😍.  I've also succeeded in getting my kids into a more regular workout routine.  My youngest just finished Morning Meltdown 100 on Friday, and after a week off for Christmas he's going to try Core de Force.  My oldest should finish up MM100 right before Christmas, and she hasn't decided her next program yet.  

Goals for 2020: 

1.  Keep up the daily workouts.  I will finish up 80 DO before calving season starts in March, and then I'll pick a lighter, shorter workout for calving season because calving is physically demanding on its own.  

2.  Lose another 20-25 pounds.  

3.  Keep having outdoor adventures with the family...we are surrounded by 6 different national parks, lakes, the Columbia river, and endless forest 

4.  Keep encouraging my kids to be active and healthy!

Congrats on all of your successes this year, kids developing exercise habits and family activities, daily exercise, weight loss- that is a great year. I hope next year goes so smoothly- and I'm so jealous of all the parks around you. We have forests but no big parks close to us. I love seeing fitness carry into every day life too, that is the really important stuff.As a side note, I think I'm going to do Core de Force next, I've got 2 more weeks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, soror said:

Those are great goals, stress management is such a big one and so difficult in times of great change. I've been strictly GF for 11 yrs and was dairy free as well for a few years, it does get tiring and there are times it feels more annoying than others. I think the key has been thinking about the consequences (long and short term), not restricting other foods unless I have to and finding other yummy food to enjoy. I did AIP too for a year and that really burned me out, I'm so over restricting anymore than absolutely necessary. On the plus side, with Celiac disease the dairy intolerance is often secondary to that so as the gut heals you could be able to add that back in but that process could take a long time, it could be some of the other food issues resolve too.

Thanks for the support, soror! You are alway so good about encouraging people! I am hopeful that my diet will eventually become more broad. I do have allergies to nuts and peanut, as well as oral allergies, which also restricts things. Luckily I'm a happy carnivor! Though I find myself craving fish and veg more than meat. 

I must also admit a private anxiety of mine, which I believe I'll be able to control because of my body's natural response, but it's alcohol. I enjoy a glass of wine or cider, and the more it makes me relax, the more I think about it. Luckily, wine tends to give me a bad head-ache, so the chances are good I won't go over-board into reliance on alcohol. I can easily see the slippery slope happening, though. 😰

• Like 4

Glad to hear from you, @IvyInFlorida.  Nice to see everyone's accomplishments too.

What have I done?  I lost about six kilos at the beginning of the year.  I'm probably up a kilo or so at present - I'm not weighing during Christmas - I'm not worried.  I've taken my diet much more plant-focused while stressing protein for muscle-maintenance into old age.  Nordic Walking and brisk lunchtime walks have been good.  I've finally got to the stage where I can concentrate on online home yoga, and I've been building muscle through that.  I've been meditating about four days a week and I'm happy with that.

Next year, more of the same, but a possible move to Pilates to continue with the strength work.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

Thanks for the support, soror! You are alway so good about encouraging people! I am hopeful that my diet will eventually become more broad. I do have allergies to nuts and peanut, as well as oral allergies, which also restricts things. Luckily I'm a happy carnivor! Though I find myself craving fish and veg more than meat. 

I must also admit a private anxiety of mine, which I believe I'll be able to control because of my body's natural response, but it's alcohol. I enjoy a glass of wine or cider, and the more it makes me relax, the more I think about it. Luckily, wine tends to give me a bad head-ache, so the chances are good I won't go over-board into reliance on alcohol. I can easily see the slippery slope happening, though. 😰

I really hope your diet broadens as well, restrictions stink. re:wine- the good thing is that you are aware of this becoming a potential issue.

9 hours ago, lynn said:

I completed the Beach Body Sagi #All in challenge.  I'll start again in January.  I'll be doing some cardio core , chisel and kettle bell until then.  

Congrats on finishing the challenge!

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Glad to hear from you, @IvyInFlorida.  Nice to see everyone's accomplishments too.

What have I done?  I lost about six kilos at the beginning of the year.  I'm probably up a kilo or so at present - I'm not weighing during Christmas - I'm not worried.  I've taken my diet much more plant-focused while stressing protein for muscle-maintenance into old age.  Nordic Walking and brisk lunchtime walks have been good.  I've finally got to the stage where I can concentrate on online home yoga, and I've been building muscle through that.  I've been meditating about four days a week and I'm happy with that.

Next year, more of the same, but a possible move to Pilates to continue with the strength work.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

You've had a great year Laura, congrats on the hard work and accomplishments.

4 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I love reading all these accomplishments and plans, thanks guys!!  Y'all are inspiring. 

Yes, it is nice to see the accomplishments, I feel like a small part of others journeys and it is exciting to see the wins and progress (and commiserate with challenges and setbacks).

I slept well last night and I think I am going to try and cut back on the melatonin, I'm waking up a bit groggy.

Today I'm doing HIIT and fight club, we'll see how HIIT goes with my toe, I'll be wearing shoes for protection (I usually don't at home) and modifying in whatever way I need to protect it.

I've got to take a lab order in for dd2 and paint her room (Christmas present). I so don't want to paint but will be glad to have it done and she is very excited for it.

I forgot to mention with all the busyness I developed a large red spot on my wrist from my watch band so I kept it off a few days and am now being vigilant to make sure I don't get wetness under there (and if I do take it off and dry it), I'm not wearing it at night right now either. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, soror said:

I forgot to mention with all the busyness I developed a large red spot on my wrist from my watch band so I kept it off a few days and am now being vigilant to make sure I don't get wetness under there (and if I do take it off and dry it), I'm not wearing it at night right now either. 

I wear my Fitbit on my other wrist at night for that reason.  I also make sure to wash it regularly so there's no bacterial build up - wet wipes if it's not waterproof.

• Like 2

I went for a 2+ hour hike in the woods yesterday. It was sunny and warm and completely delightful! Tonight dh and I will play a couple hours of doubles tennis with our good friends. I'm really looking forward to this. My dh even restrung my tennis racquet for the occasion! 🙂

We hosted a medium-large extended family "Sunday Dinner" at our home yesterday. We were 10 people in total, which is about half the number in comparison to most Sundays. It went very well, and it was very stress-free for me. The house was already clean enough, dh offered to bbq burgers and hotdogs in the sudden warm weather, and the dc were a great help with clean up afterwards. People seemed pretty tickled with the bbq, especially since there are a few Big Meals in the near future. 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I wear my Fitbit on my other wrist at night for that reason.  I also make sure to wash it regularly so there's no bacterial build up - wet wipes if it's not waterproof.

Oh, good idea, I'll have to try that.

Workouts done. Burpees are a no go, as are plank jacks, I cannot jump into positions with my toes down like that. I did ok w/ jumping jacks in shoes going more slowly today. Again not my best workouts but I showed up and did them, so it's a win.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soror said:

Workouts done. Burpees are a no go, as are plank jacks, I cannot jump into positions with my toes down like that. I did ok w/ jumping jacks in shoes going more slowly today. Again not my best workouts but I showed up and did them, so it's a win.

I broke my toe last winter after slipping on black ice.  Yeah, no push-ups or planks (except on knees), no Burpees.  I had to wear a Frankenstein shoe on my foot to keep from moving it too much.  With that on, I could still do squat jumps and squat jacks, and even jumping jacks with the shoe to keep the toe steady.  But nothing with toe raises. I think in some ways it improved my squats, because I really did have to lean back on my heels.  I couldn't use the treadmill or the bike - I was on the strider machine for the duration. I was okay on the rower with the silly boot.  But I managed to keep all my OT workouts, even if I did have to modify.  I had just started getting going with the weight loss when it happened, so I was really determined not to get derailed!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I managed to Nordic Walk both yesterday and today. The weather is quite warm and still.

It has been warmer here too and I had walks as well, just regular walks though, about 1 mile a day.

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I broke my toe last winter after slipping on black ice.  Yeah, no push-ups or planks (except on knees), no Burpees.  I had to wear a Frankenstein shoe on my foot to keep from moving it too much.  With that on, I could still do squat jumps and squat jacks, and even jumping jacks with the shoe to keep the toe steady.  But nothing with toe raises. I think in some ways it improved my squats, because I really did have to lean back on my heels.  I couldn't use the treadmill or the bike - I was on the strider machine for the duration. I was okay on the rower with the silly boot.  But I managed to keep all my OT workouts, even if I did have to modify.  I had just started getting going with the weight loss when it happened, so I was really determined not to get derailed!

UGH, how long did it take you to feel back to normal? I did my HIIT today with modification but I'm pretty sure my heart rate did not get quite as high. I'm most annoyed that I can't run. I don't like the elliptical at all. I can walk it hurts but it is doable.

19 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Are any of your asking for exercise equipment for Christmas?   I test rode a Peloton and am considering a non-Peloton bike.  

But I did buy myself some hand weights and will do some videos to start.

No exercise equipment for me, although I really do need more weights. Good luck choosing your new equipment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Are any of your asking for exercise equipment for Christmas?   I test rode a Peloton and am considering a non-Peloton bike.  

I hinted for and am really really hoping to get adjustable dumbbells (the kind you load onto a bar) that go up to at least 70 lbs on each side!  They would really give me more flexibility with my strength training.

• Like 3

Just now, IvyInFlorida said:

I hinted for and am really really hoping to get adjustable dumbbells (the kind you load onto a bar) that go up to at least 70 lbs on each side!  They would really give me more flexibility with my strength training.

Well, I am a complete wimp.  I got 2, 3, and 5 pound hand weights.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Well, I am a complete wimp.  I got 2, 3, and 5 pound hand weights.

But the thought of doing that bike stuff makes me want to die, lol, you you beat me there.  You could probably out bike or out run me.  I'm definitely built for strength and not cardio!  Plus I've been strength training a long time now and slowly worked my way up from just bodyweight movements.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

But the thought of doing that bike stuff makes me want to die, lol, you you beat me there.  You could probably out bike or out run me.  I'm definitely built for strength and not cardio!  Plus I've been strength training a long time now and slowly worked my way up from just bodyweight movements.

Um, no I couldn't, but I wish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DawnM said:

No but I'm thinking about outdoor swimming gear for my birthday. I need to venture into the sea a few times first though to see if I like it. ETA, actually that should have been in my goals. Swimming in the North Sea at least once. If I like it, then one of these would be good for my birthday:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dryrobe-Advance-Premium-Lightweight-Waterproof/dp/B01M5B8EBZ

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

No but I'm thinking about outdoor swimming gear for my birthday. I need to venture into the sea a few times first though to see if I like it. ETA, actually that should have been in my goals. Swimming in the North Sea at least once. If I like it, then one of these would be good for my birthday:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dryrobe-Advance-Premium-Lightweight-Waterproof/dp/B01M5B8EBZ

I am so not a swimmer but thatis a wonderful goal.

20 min yoga done; Will do 30 min of HIIT and 30 min of lifting later

I think I might do a Spartan Race instead of Tough Mudder as it does not require a team, I can do it entirely on my own. On the negative side, the closest one is in August, which is hotter than h*ll. 

@Laura Corin Swimming in the North Sea would be so awesome!  What a bucket list item.  Of course I freeze to death during swim season here in Florida, so I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle it, but you are amazing!

Yesterday was a "rest" day (except I ran around like crazy doing house chores, lol) so I'm looking forward to this morning's workout.  I'm very ready to be done with these kettlebell challenge workouts and move on to my new program.  It's a great challenge, I just unfortunately have had to let it drag on too long because of injury.  After about 6 weeks of doing stuff I'm usually ready for a few changes just to freshen things up a bit.  But today is 500 more swings and 50 pushups, divided into undulating sets.

My plan for after I finish the challenge is as follows:

CKD class 3 evenings / wk

Home workouts 5 mornings / wk, 3 of which will be strength training circuits and 2 CKD drills.

2 mornings will be rest OR a 30 min jog if I need to burn off some stress or just get outside for a bit.

3 afternoons / wk will have about 1 1/2 hrs of heavy-duty yard work at my parents' property.

Strength training for the 1st 6 week block will include sets of chin ups, pushups, squats, bent over row, and floor press, with short intervals of kettlebell swings between the movements.  Just a plug for kettlebell swings--I have really seen a major difference in the firmness of my posterior chain (doesn't that sound better than booty gainz haha) since I started them.  The back of my legs, butt, and lower back have for sure benefited.  I had heard folks say that it would have that effect, but I was skeptical kb swings were really much more than cardio.  I recommend them!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IvyInFlorida said:

@Laura Corin Swimming in the North Sea would be so awesome!  What a bucket list item.  Of course I freeze to death during swim season here in Florida, so I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle it, but you are amazing!

Yesterday was a "rest" day (except I ran around like crazy doing house chores, lol) so I'm looking forward to this morning's workout.  I'm very ready to be done with these kettlebell challenge workouts and move on to my new program.  It's a great challenge, I just unfortunately have had to let it drag on too long because of injury.  After about 6 weeks of doing stuff I'm usually ready for a few changes just to freshen things up a bit.  But today is 500 more swings and 50 pushups, divided into undulating sets.

My plan for after I finish the challenge is as follows:

CKD class 3 evenings / wk

Home workouts 5 mornings / wk, 3 of which will be strength training circuits and 2 CKD drills.

2 mornings will be rest OR a 30 min jog if I need to burn off some stress or just get outside for a bit.

3 afternoons / wk will have about 1 1/2 hrs of heavy-duty yard work at my parents' property.

Strength training for the 1st 6 week block will include sets of chin ups, pushups, squats, bent over row, and floor press, with short intervals of kettlebell swings between the movements.  Just a plug for kettlebell swings--I have really seen a major difference in the firmness of my posterior chain (doesn't that sound better than booty gainz haha) since I started them.  The back of my legs, butt, and lower back have for sure benefited.  I had heard folks say that it would have that effect, but I was skeptical kb swings were really much more than cardio.  I recommend them!

Do you finish your challenge at the end of the month? Injuries stink anytime, especially when we got plans!! I get so restless too. I've been considering the Core de Force after I finish the Morning Meltdown but am not 100% certain. I like have morning workouts and just having to 'push play' makes it very easy. I know I want to continue some HIIT, as it is not time intensive and is good aerobic conditioning. I'd like to have 1 day for stretching/mobility work, 1 day for running (when I can do that again!). My strength training is still primarily in the evenings so anything strength related in the morning will be more metabolic, lighter strength, bodyweight stuff if it is not too difficult. I'd like to incorporate more specific work for obstacle course, I need a rope. I have 5 gallon buckets, I need to fill them to practice carrying. I need to do more crawling work, I've not done that in ages. Too many things to do, not enough time. I do have a kettbell here too 🙂

Edited by soror

Ladies, I could use some virtual hugs today. Had a devastating evening as our black lab puppy suddenly died. He had neck surgery on Thursday and seemed to be recovering well. Took a sudden turn for the worse, and suddenly passed out and died yesterday at dinner time. We're all in complete shock. This is the guide dog puppy in training, who was just the sweetest boy. The association told us to do cpr on him, which was both horrible and helped bring forth some good adrenalin for us. I slept very badly and had my baby dying dream again. 

Dh and I did go to our late evening tennis last night just to distract ourselves and be with our friends (also dog lovers). It didn't help much. I kept seeing poor Teddy's body lying dead on the floor, eyes open and glazed over. 😥

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

Ladies, I could use some virtual hugs today. Had a devastating evening as our black lab puppy suddenly died. He had neck surgery on Thursday and seemed to be recovering well. Took a sudden turn for the worse, and suddenly passed out and died yesterday at dinner time. We're all in complete shock. This is the guide dog puppy in training, who was just the sweetest boy. The association told us to do cpr on him, which was both horrible and helped bring forth some good adrenalin for us. I slept very badly and had my baby dying dream again. 

Dh and I did go to our late evening tennis last night just to distract ourselves and be with our friends (also dog lovers). It didn't help much. I kept seeing poor Teddy's body lying dead on the floor, eyes open and glazed over. 😥

I'm so sorry, big hugs for your whole family, that is devastating 😞

• Like 1

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss!  What a horrible night 😥

• Like 1

I am so sorry, how awful.

• Like 2

And I guess I am getting an exercise Christmas present, I signed up for a Spartan race. The one closest to me only had 34 slots for the afternoon so I pulled the trigger. I'd love my friend or anyone else to join me but I don't want to miss it b/c others don't want to or can't commit. I want to do this and have wanted to for years. I've got 8 months left for training. 3 miles, 20 obstacles. I will be buying some equipment to have here to work different obstacles but that will have to wait a bit to build some funds back up.

Fwiw I'm doing the one close to Nashville, 1 pm if anyone want to join me 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soror said:

And I guess I am getting an exercise Christmas present, I signed up for a Spartan race. The one closest to me only had 34 slots for the afternoon so I pulled the trigger. I'd love my friend or anyone else to join me but I don't want to miss it b/c others don't want to or can't commit. I want to do this and have wanted to for years. I've got 8 months left for training. 3 miles, 20 obstacles. I will be buying some equipment to have here to work different obstacles but that will have to wait a bit to build some funds back up.

Fwiw I'm doing the one close to Nashville, 1 pm if anyone want to join me 🙂

That is so exciting!!

• Like 3