Menu

December Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

5 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I use oat milk.  I need the oats to keep my blood work healthy.  And I like the taste.

I like to bake with oat milk (my husband can't have dairy), but in my area it's the most expensive alternative milk on the shelf!  Not sure why.  Even hemp milk is cheaper.  I usually end up baking with almond or light coconut.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I like to bake with oat milk (my husband can't have dairy), but in my area it's the most expensive alternative milk on the shelf!  Not sure why.  Even hemp milk is cheaper.  I usually end up baking with almond or light coconut.

Northern Europe is oat-growing country (eta as well as cow grazing country).  Almond milk has horrible air miles, but the oat milk I use comes by ship from Sweden.  I look forward to Scottish oat milk - it would make sense.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Have you tried coconut milk for baking? Not that I bake anything, as I'm gluten-free, but it is nice and thick, and none of the coconut flavour transfers to the food. I use it for my pumpkin pie to replace evaporated milk.  It's great in coffee, too. 

Oat milk is my coffee diluter of choice, but it is expensive. I can't so any of the nut products, except coconut. đŸ˜‰Â I've tried going with black coffee, but I much prefer it diluted with something. I may end up doing espresso and boiled water eventually. I'll just up the sugar.Â đŸ˜„

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Have you tried coconut milk for baking? Not that I bake anything, as I'm gluten-free, but it is nice and thick, and none of the coconut flavour transfers to the food. I use it for my pumpkin pie to replace evaporated milk.  It's great in coffee, too. 

Oat milk is my coffee diluter of choice, but it is expensive. I can't so any of the nut products, except coconut. đŸ˜‰Â I've tried going with black coffee, but I much prefer it diluted with something. I may end up doing espresso and boiled water eventually. I'll just up the sugar.Â đŸ˜„

LOL, I think you just don't taste the coconut flavor. I've made a ton of stuff w/ coconut milk and cream(I was dairy free for years) and it always has a slight coco taste, I generally didn't mind it but it is there. Everyone has different taste buds though, my friend makes eggs in extra virgin coconut oil, blech, I can't stand them, she doesn't taste it though. I use plain expeller pressed though and it doesn't have near as much of the flavor. 

There is no oat milk here that is gf, I looked at every single ones at the store. I tried making my own with gf oats but it was rather meh.

MM- 20 min Yoga done- there was some challenge in this session (probably partially because I've been working my muscles hard I don't feel really sore but have a bit of heaviness) that upped the challenge. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, soror said:

LOL, I think you just don't taste the coconut flavor. I've made a ton of stuff w/ coconut milk and cream(I was dairy free for years) and it always has a slight coco taste, I generally didn't mind it but it is there. Everyone has different taste buds though, my friend makes eggs in extra virgin coconut oil, blech, I can't stand them, she doesn't taste it though. I use plain expeller pressed though and it doesn't have near as much of the flavor. 

There is no oat milk here that is gf, I looked at every single ones at the store. I tried making my own with gf oats but it was rather meh.

MM- 20 min Yoga done- there was some challenge in this session (probably partially because I've been working my muscles hard I don't feel really sore but have a bit of heaviness) that upped the challenge. 

You're probably right - or maybe you're just a weirdo who doesn't like the flavour of milk or coconut.Â đŸ˜‚

I tried making my own oat milk with gf oats. When it stayed mixed, it was fine, but the sediment at the bottom of the coffee cup was just gross.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

You're probably right - or maybe you're just a weirdo who doesn't like the flavour of milk or coconut.Â đŸ˜‚

I tried making my own oat milk with gf oats. When it stayed mixed, it was fine, but the sediment at the bottom of the coffee cup was just gross.

WEird, probably. But I actually like the taste of coconut, I couldn't have survived so long using it if I didn't BUT coconut flavored scrambled eggs are NASTY!!!

Yes, the sediments with the homemade oat milk were unsettling!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I do bake with both light and regular coconut milk, and unrefined coconut oil is my main high-heat cooking oil.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE coconut and never taste it in the final product.  My husband can ALWAYS taste the slightest hint of coconut, pssht.

I find the taste of coconut oil really overwhelming. If I use it in a dish, I cut it with two thirds rapeseed oil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I find the taste of coconut oil really overwhelming. If I use it in a dish, I cut it with two thirds rapeseed oil.

I can't believe you still use the term "rape" seed. We've so sophisticated in Canada and have move to calling it canola. A rose by any other name is still the same, though.Â đŸ˜‚

Just now, wintermom said:

I can't believe you still use the term "rape" seed. We've so sophisticated in Canada and have move to calling it canola. A rose by any other name is still the same, though.Â đŸ˜‚

I had a fairytale book when I was a child that had a character who wanted to eat 'rape'. I had no idea what it was. I think now it was rapa/brassica.

• Like 1

Ooooh, massage sounds so good!

I had an accidental rest day.  The boys slept really late after playing hard yesterday, so I couldn't work out without pushing back school time too far.  Then I ended up running a million errands this afternoon.  I'm pretty tired and irritable, but was pleased to come home to a supper of BBQ ribs, baked potatoes, and roasted veggies all ready in the oven!  Yay husband.*  Looking forward to a good sleep and some kettlebell swinging in the morning, haha.

*How come the kids eat twice as much if he cooks?!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, wintermom said:

I went for a walk in the woods with a friend (same trail as Thursdays). It was so relaxing and energizing at the same time. I also had a massage on my back and neck. Really painful while it was happening, but my muscles feel great now! 

Sounds like a wonderful day, I'm glad to hear your back is feeling better.

11 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Ooooh, massage sounds so good!

I had an accidental rest day.  The boys slept really late after playing hard yesterday, so I couldn't work out without pushing back school time too far.  Then I ended up running a million errands this afternoon.  I'm pretty tired and irritable, but was pleased to come home to a supper of BBQ ribs, baked potatoes, and roasted veggies all ready in the oven!  Yay husband.*  Looking forward to a good sleep and some kettlebell swinging in the morning, haha.

*How come the kids eat twice as much if he cooks?!

Yummy dinner, wtg dh! Hope you have a great workout today!

I went ahead and went to BUTI even though my friend couldn't come, I probably should have stayed home and taken a nap but wanted to go so I did. I enjoyed it.

I ended the day at 9,300 steps and didn't have it in me to do anymore. My sleep seems to be holding about the same with no improvement but it is much better than it was a spell. It also occurred to me it could be my Vit D, I was supposed to have it tested in Oct. long story short I couldn't. Anytime my vit D is low it messes with my sleep and I've not been supplementing and have not been outside nearly as much (even so with cooler weather I'm covered up). I'm adding Vit D back in and see if that helps. 

Today is supposed to be lifting but adding in 2 Buti classes plus upping reps/weights on my workouts I'm going to take it easy (besides I'm short on time). I need to look at my workout plan but I think I'll just do pull-ups, maybe one other thing and call it good and rest for the rest of the weekend.

• Like 2

Since I'm short on time and have worked a lot already this week I decided to do a 15 min workout, mostly focused on engagement, stretching, and rehab. I did do 2 sets of 3 neutral pull-ups from the floor,  as well as 2 sets of IYTs on the floor, shoulder protraction/retraction on the wall, and rehab- prone shoulder pulses and extension.

Now to get on with the day, we have Scout event all day (I'm teaching) and then church directly afterwards.  I might get a walk during lunch if I'm lucky, otherwise lots of sitting. Have a good one ladies!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, soror said:

Since I'm short on time and have worked a lot already this week I decided to do a 15 min workout, mostly focused on engagement, stretching, and rehab. I did do 2 sets of 3 neutral pull-ups from the floor,  as well as 2 sets of IYTs on the floor, shoulder protraction/retraction on the wall, and rehab- prone shoulder pulses and extension.

Now to get on with the day, we have Scout event all day (I'm teaching) and then church directly afterwards.  I might get a walk during lunch if I'm lucky, otherwise lots of sitting. Have a good one ladies!

Have a great day! Will you be inside or outdoors gathering some vit D from the sun? 

• Like 2

Dh and I play our last competitive league match of 2019 tonight. We'll be back again with our same team in 2020, though, which will be awesome! It's sunny outside and I don't have much to do today, so I'm going to get a walk in sometime this morning.

Weight is holding at 122 as long as I eat right before bed.  I made myself a holiday treat yesterday of carmel/maple popcorn. It tasted great, though I really suck at getting the temperature just right to get a harder "candied" carmel. Maybe it was my alterations on the recipe, too. It's still yummy. 

• Like 1

KB Challenge workout this morning...I'm 1/4 of the way through at 2,500 swings so far (plus the various sets of strength exercises).  Yardwork at my parents' this afternoon.  Boy, my life is routine!  My updates should just say, "still here, still at it" and y'all will know exactly what's going on, lol.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

KB Challenge workout this morning...I'm 1/4 of the way through at 2,500 swings so far (plus the various sets of strength exercises).  Yardwork at my parents' this afternoon.  Boy, my life is routine!  My updates should just say, "still here, still at it" and y'all will know exactly what's going on, lol.

My life is incredibly humdrum. My normal day is, went for a walk at lunchtime, fitted in/did not fit in yoga, killed time in the carpark before work by meditating.... ETA autocorrect wanted 'killed Tim'

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

The routine things in life are so important, especially if they are good things.Â đŸ˜„Â  And it's really inspiring to read about other people's "boring" routines - there is some great variety of activity among the people checking in. Even if I'm not doing much variety, I can sort of live vicariously through you all! đŸ˜‰

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wintermom said:

What kind of dancing do your do? I can't remember if you mentioned, or if I already asked. Tell me it's tap dancing. That would be so cool to "know" a tap dancer!Â đŸ˜‚

I bounce around between line dancing (Country Heat), belly dancing (Serpentine) and... weird dancing (Body Groove). Sorry to disappoint you!

I also do aerial yoga in a very nonimpressive way, Tai Chi and body weight exercises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

I bounce around between line dancing (Country Heat), belly dancing (Serpentine) and... weird dancing (Body Groove). Sorry to disappoint you!

I also do aerial yoga in a very nonimpressive way, Tai Chi and body weight exercises.

Those are very cool dances (except for line dancing, of course. That is just weird. And I say that as a country girl from Alberta where line dancing was "king" and people apparently had no sense of taste.Â đŸ˜‚)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

The price looks nice, unless you can somehow get a used one. It'll be cheaper than a gym membership over the long-term. Walking/running outside is still cheaper, but weather and proximity to young dc are big factors.

Yes, I have a small people problem. My husband leaves for work at about 5am one often doesn't return until 9pm. And I don't drive.

• Like 1

Aww... lost a post I was working on....

Classes were inside yesterday but I did get an 18 min walk during lunchtime.

re:treadmill looks like it is well-reviewed, generally you can find better deals on used ones that are like new if you watch, so many people buy them and don't use them. I'd also say if you get bored easily it may not be a great choice. I find them dreadfully boring, even the little bit I use them at the gym, but they are a means to an end.

I am not smart enough to understand your chart!

Today is an around the house chill day, gotta catch up on laundry and paperwork (ugh). I am dreading the paperwork but I will feel much better once I knock it out. This coming Friday we have our last homeschool event for a month and we just have 2 more Scout meetings(this Monday and next) and then a 2 week break. I'm ready for a break. I am pulling back from homeschool activities for the spring (then I'll see how I feel about it) we are going to doing more things with just a few friends instead of planning activities for a whole group.

Last week I had:

77k steps; 534 active minutes; 7 days of exercise; Sleep Score Avg 72 (Down from 73)

I did 7 Morning Meltdown workouts; 2 lifting sessions at the gym; 1 short strength training session at home; 2 BUTI yoga classes; 1treadmill session w/ incline walk- 1 mi & 1.5 mile run; assorted walks 

My sleep was ok, not where it needs to be but still better from where I was.

Last night I got 9 hr and 9 min of sleep and a sleep score of 85 (which beats my previous high of 81)

This week's goals:

7 Morning Meltdown; 3 lifting sessions; 1 incline walk/run; 1 BUTI class; 11k avg. daily

I'm tweaking my macro goals after 2 weeks at this. It is not uncommon to have fat portions left at the end of the day and I feel like I'm eating a fair amount already. My protein is decent but on lifting days I need another portion to hit my goals, with my increase in cardio I need more carbs in there. So, we'll see how it goes at these levels. Overall I've felt better and much more even throughout the day and workouts have felt good, hopefully my tweaks will be positive but if not I can always try it back the other way.

Now, I'm going to get off my butt and get breakfast.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

I have been trying to find a good treadmill for like 2 years. I'm always either too late or don't have enough money. I'm tired of waiting.

Do you have a place to use it in your home where there is something to entertain you while you run/walk? A window, TV, etc.?  It's the boredom factor that completely turns me off, plus the space is requires. And you aren't allowed to use it as a towel rack, shoe storage area or fort for the dc. No creative stuff.Â đŸ˜‚

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Do you have a place to use it in your home where there is something to entertain you while you run/walk? A window, TV, etc.?  It's the boredom factor that completely turns me off, plus the space is requires. And you aren't allowed to use it as a towel rack, shoe storage area or fort for the dc. No creative stuff.Â đŸ˜‚

No, but I'm simple minded so it's ok.

Hmmm. I could listen to audiobooks and sermons. If I try to look at something I'll probably fall.

It's not a towel rack, it's decor. Duh. I call my gym the thing that "makes me look thin".

• Like 2

I completed the first week of Beachbody's 80 day obsession.  Feeling pretty good about it so far đŸ™‚Â My sleep hasn't been great this week, and I think it's partly because I haven't been getting enough outside time.  This is the slow time of year on the ranch, so my husband doesn't need my help a lot.  I still go out to feed and milk my cow twice a day, but I haven't been going on long walks and such because it was rather icy.  The last couple days we've gotten more snow and it's less slick, so I'm going to make sure I get in a good walk today.  I'm impatiently waiting for more snow so I can get out the snowshoes!

• Like 4

Just getting over a cold.  Felt pretty rotten but doing better now.  I missed the last yoga classes that taken place at a reasonable hour - not much to go to now until late January.

So: onwards with the home yoga.  And back to brisk lunchtime walks. High tides are at lunchtime this week, so no chance of going in my lunch break to NW.  I'll try to go next Saturday while the dog is being clipped.  Lots of dinners to go to as well, so I need to be getting in some exercise.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, FarmingMomma said:

I completed the first week of Beachbody's 80 day obsession.  Feeling pretty good about it so far đŸ™‚Â My sleep hasn't been great this week, and I think it's partly because I haven't been getting enough outside time.  This is the slow time of year on the ranch, so my husband doesn't need my help a lot.  I still go out to feed and milk my cow twice a day, but I haven't been going on long walks and such because it was rather icy.  The last couple days we've gotten more snow and it's less slick, so I'm going to make sure I get in a good walk today.  I'm impatiently waiting for more snow so I can get out the snowshoes!

My snowshoes have cramp-on thingies on the bottom so they are great for walking on ice. I've been known to use them even when there is very little snow. And if you add in ski/nordic poles, you have upper body work-out and weighted leg exercises all in one! 

• Like 2

Today is a rest day, but I'm somehow sore from whatever we did at OT yesterday.  They're having the "12 days of Fitness" right now, and yesterday was 7 Bells a-swinging, which was a lot of weight swinging, and power push-ups (did 5 rounds of 7 each) - that may be it.  I'm usually not too sore even after fairly crazy days (got through Legs a-shaking just fine), but I'm all tight up in my shoulder/neck area today!

Oh, and I actually got a decent sleep score (86!) for the first time in like a month!  I can't even remember the last time I got over mid 70's, and have had a bunch in the 60's as well.  So that is good!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 4

No "real" exercise yesterday, except for the fact that my mom and I went to the "big city" and Christmas/school supply shopped for HOURS and it almost killed me, lol.  Not sure why moderate-paced slogging around stores makes me so exhausted, but it just about did me in completely!  I was so glad I had supper in the crockpot waiting when I came home.  But shopping for the boys and the new school year (we homeschool year round so Jan is the restart point) is done, yay.

On tap for today is KB Challenge #6, which includes squats.  Can't barbell squat at home, so I'm doing weighted Bulgarians.  Should be a good ole time, haha.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

No "real" exercise yesterday, except for the fact that my mom and I went to the "big city" and Christmas/school supply shopped for HOURS and it almost killed me, lol.  Not sure why moderate-paced slogging around stores makes me so exhausted, but it just about did me in completely!  I was so glad I had supper in the crockpot waiting when I came home.  But shopping for the boys and the new school year (we homeschool year round so Jan is the restart point) is done, yay.

On tap for today is KB Challenge #6, which includes squats.  Can't barbell squat at home, so I'm doing weighted Bulgarians.  Should be a good ole time, haha.

It's not just you, shopping is exhausting. I did shopping all day online and I was still exhausted, more mentally, but we ended up with an easy supper.

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Just getting over a cold.  Felt pretty rotten but doing better now.  I missed the last yoga classes that taken place at a reasonable hour - not much to go to now until late January.

So: onwards with the home yoga.  And back to brisk lunchtime walks. High tides are at lunchtime this week, so no chance of going in my lunch break to NW.  I'll try to go next Saturday while the dog is being clipped.  Lots of dinners to go to as well, so I need to be getting in some exercise.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better, I hope this is a great week. Also, I was glad to read how you can lift more now, it is so nice to see exercise paying off in every day life.

17 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

EEk, ice!!! Did you get your walk in??

after a great night of sleep I woke at 1:15, def. getting a nap.

today's exercise: fight club/core

WEight back down to 121, haven't hit that since camping trips, I certainly did not overestimate my activity and calorie needs on the Precision Nutrition calculator as I've steadily dropped the last 2 weeks. We'll see how it goes but at my rate of activity I might end up adding in more food. I can tell I am slimming down, my waist is no smaller but muscles are more defined. My hips are a smidge smaller and pants a somewhat looser.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Just checking in from yesterday, where I did a marathon!  It was marathon of binging on a new Netflix series, but that's beside the point. Let's focus on the marathon part.Â đŸ˜‚

LOL, some days you need to do that đŸ™‚Â CAtch anything good???

MMA & Core done- 52 min total

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soror said:

It's not just you, shopping is exhausting. I did shopping all day online and I was still exhausted, more mentally, but we ended up with an easy supper.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better, I hope this is a great week. Also, I was glad to read how you can lift more now, it is so nice to see exercise paying off in every day life.

EEk, ice!!! Did you get your walk in??

after a great night of sleep I woke at 1:15, def. getting a nap.

today's exercise: fight club/core

WEight back down to 121, haven't hit that since camping trips, I certainly did not overestimate my activity and calorie needs on the Precision Nutrition calculator as I've steadily dropped the last 2 weeks. We'll see how it goes but at my rate of activity I might end up adding in more food. I can tell I am slimming down, my waist is no smaller but muscles are more defined. My hips are a smidge smaller and pants a somewhat looser.

I did get my walk in, along with some stretching and foam rolling.  I got today's workout in early this morning, so now I'm cleaning my kitchen and deciding which recipes I want to make this week so I can get some meal prep done.  

• Like 3

Was still really sore in the shoulders from Sat; went to OT this morning anyway. 9 reps-increasing was today's theme.  Started with 9 reps of everything and go up 1 rep each time through.  Did overhead lifts, chest presses, bicep curls and a bunch of core stuff. Was at 14 reps by the end. And amazingly, I'm way less sore after all that.  Which I realized some time back, and it's one of the big things that keeps me going so often.

Endurance block on the treads,  just keep running 23 min with very short breaks for ground to press with a weighted ball.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 4

Walk yesterday afternoon;

This am did HIIT 30 min.

Tonight is Lifting and then BUTI yoga with my friend. 

Since I'm doing the class with her I am not going to do running also, I'll already be at about 2.5 hrs of exercise when the day ends, which is enough.  

If I have time at the end of lifting I'll do an easy walk on the treadmill.

Other than Sunday night sleep has been better since adding back D3. I think Sunday night was due to being so short on carbs on Sunday, too low carb jacks my sleep and I didn't consider it until after the fact. I wasnt trying to be real low carb but focusing heavy on fruits, veggies, and protein and pushed out carbs.

• Like 1

@soror I'm so glad your sleep has been better!  And your updates--wow.  You are getting so fit and putting in all the hard work.

I feel like kind of a loser today because I had to quit my kettlebell workout after the 3rd round.  My back and elbow were hurting, I had a headache, and the general movement of the swings was making me feel carsick lol.  Today is cycle day 1 hormonally though, so I'm not surprised I feel like garbage.  Bah.  Oh well, CKD tonight.

• Sad 1

@wintermom that is hilarious.  Weird things happen in the country, for real.  One time I was outside with my mom and a neighbor was using a crop duster plane to spray his farmed pines and almost crop dusted us too, ugh!  Also, we live next to a limerock quarry and sometimes the peace of my morning workout is shattered by randomly-timed blasting.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

@wintermom that is hilarious.  Weird things happen in the country, for real.  One time I was outside with my mom and a neighbor was using a crop duster plane to spray his farmed pines and almost crop dusted us too, ugh!  Also, we live next to a limerock quarry and sometimes the peace of my morning workout is shattered by randomly-timed blasting.

We have experienced blasting in our suburban home when they do any road construction or building as we live right on top of the Canadian Shield = everything is rock. 

• Like 1