Menu

Two of my students died

DawnM

Guys, I worked in inner-city LA for 17 years.  I have been to students' funerals.  It is always sad.  Always.

But this is especially sad.  These two were twins.  The mom lost both kids at once.

I can't even imagine.  

Car accident.  Car cut in half from the crash.  One died on impact Wed night.  The other died late Fri/early Sat after being in a coma.

Tomorrow will be a lot of grief counseling.  It is going to be a. hard few days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 57

I'm so sorry.  One of my daughters had a friend whose two brothers (but they were not twins) were killed in a car wreck while they were in high school.  It was not their fault, although everyone assumed "teen driver," so it must have been, but regardless--it was so, so horrible.  My sympathies to everyone involved.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, plansrme said:

I'm so sorry.  One of my daughters had a friend whose two brothers (but they were not twins) were killed in a car wreck while they were in high school.  It was not their fault, although everyone assumed "teen driver," so it must have been, but regardless--it was so, so horrible.  My sympathies to everyone involved.

And even if it was teen error, what does that matter other than to pour salt into the wounds of a parent and say, "It must have been your kid's fault he died?"  It is cruel.  

• Sad 2

Just now, DawnM said:

And even if it was teen error, what does that matter other than to pour salt into the wounds of a parent and say, "It must have been your kid's fault he died?"  It is cruel.  

Oh, definitely!  I was trying to make the point that when there are teen drivers, many people will imply that they brought it on themselves.    I definitely do not support that position. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, plansrme said:

Oh, definitely!  I was trying to make the point that when there are teen drivers, many people will imply that they brought it on themselves.    I definitely do not support that position. 

Oh, I knew you weren't, I was just commenting.  So many have asked me, "So, were they out joy-riding?  Were they drinking?" or whatever, implying the fault has to lie somewhere.  Of course fault lies somewhere, but what does that matter when your child is gone?  (that was my point, def. not directed at you.)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

They just announced an evening viewing and no funeral.  Is that a new normal to have no funeral service?

My daughter's friend's family had a funeral.  The media even covered it.  I don't think this is a new normal.  Maybe it is family only?  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

They just announced an evening viewing and no funeral.  Is that a new normal to have no funeral service?

maybe they are not ready for the funeral? and are planning a memorial service for the future? waiting for out of town people?

the viewing usually happens within a certain time frame, though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Seasider too said:

My first thought on no funeral is that perhaps they mean no public funeral.

However, it could mean there will be no burial. I guess you could call this a trend, but something offered now is for a visitation with a viewing coffin (I imagine open casket), then afterwards the body is cremated. It feels traditional, but is less expensive because it requires no purchase of a cemetery plot and no casket. 

I am so sorry Dawn. When mine were babies I was in the local mothers of twins club. One of my friends lost her 4 year old twins in a car accident. I don’t know how she survived the pain of it. But she said it gave her peace to know that they left the world as they had come into it, together. 

Oh my goodness.  How horrible!

8 hours ago, Pen said:

I’m so sorry.  

I recall student deaths really shaking things up for a lot of people, especially anyone close .  

Will the school have its own memorial assembly?

In our area, they stopped doing these. They don't want to draw attention to the deceased, because we live in an area with a disproportionately high amount of local teen suicide deaths (25% higher than national average). The schools here, put the time and effort into offering counseling and support for the survivors instead. Private memorial services, outside of school hours, are encouraged, and are often in venue that allow for a significant number of attendees.  (family/friends/students/staff )

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, Pen said:

I’m so sorry.  

I recall student deaths really shaking things up for a lot of people, especially anyone close .  

Will the school have its own memorial assembly?

No,  None of the schools I have ever worked in have had this.  They have had moments of silence in the past but not recently.  In LA 99% of them died due to gang violence and they didn't want to glorify that any more than the kids already glorified it.

However, we are asking for any donations from staff for the funerals.

Lots of students there last night.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

How are true students coping?  I know those accidental deaths can just feel so out of the blue.  A friend of mine was murdered in middle school and I remember just feeling completely numb about it for three or so days.  I couldn’t even cry, couldn’t really adjust to her being gone until she wasn’t sitting in front of me in choir several days in a row.  

Sometimes the coping and grieving is a bit delayed 😞

It is just hard, I  am sure more grief will come out as time goes by.