Menu

He is withdrawing (AS kid)

DawnM

Saw in your other thread he's between counselors. That sounds like something to resolve. That way he can have some support as he takes his next steps. It's highly probable, given his interests were technical, that he can get a job and move forward, with or without this degree. The timing, the whether, that's not the end of the world at this point. But getting him some support so he can navigate job expectations, interviewing, working for employers, etc., that would be really important. 

My dd flubbed an interview for something she really wanted a few years ago, and it took her some time (and a class on doing interviews, haha) to realize what she had done. It's just so easy, even when you have the skill, to flub it on the social level. He clearly has the brains and probably enough technical, so it's just the social skills support that will be the question.

Sorry it's piling on top of everything else. You need a cruise after this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I don't know, we've had multiple people change out with maternity leave. They think they know how they'll feel and then they come back and change things. And 6-8 weeks can be a long time if he needs help now to navigate.

Not really sure he needs help right now.  He has made the decision.  Going to therapy won't change that for now.  

• Like 1

My DD (Diagnosed just a couple of years before) withdrew with only 2 or 3 semesters left. I tried to convince her to change her major to anything just to finish, but she could not be persuaded. The last few years have been rough. She had a series of seasonal part-time work. Her first full time with benefits job ended badly. She probably could have fought her firing, but by that time she did not want to wrk there anyway. That led to another year of job disappointments. In October she got another full time job. It seems to be working out, but we will see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/11/2019 at 6:52 PM, City Mouse said:

My DD (Diagnosed just a couple of years before) withdrew with only 2 or 3 semesters left. I tried to convince her to change her major to anything just to finish, but she could not be persuaded. The last few years have been rough. She had a series of seasonal part-time work. Her first full time with benefits job ended badly. She probably could have fought her firing, but by that time she did not want to wrk there anyway. That led to another year of job disappointments. In October she got another full time job. It seems to be working out, but we will see. 

Yeah, I am not holding out hope at this point.  He needs to be moving forward, and although he says he is going to keep learning and working on his own to pursue his career (and he doesn't necessarily NEED a degree to pursue his field) I worry that without a degree, he will flounder.  

He is working about 4-5 hours per week for a guy doing some freelance and he has been doing that for about 3 months, so he does have a small job.

• Like 1