Menu

High School Diploma - have you or your college graduate ever been asked for it?

yvonne

I know the general consensus is that we should give our homeschooled high school graduates a diploma, and I agree because I like to make sure I haven't closed any doors or knowingly omitted doing anything that could possibly affect my kids later.

But, I was wondering..... have you or any of your homeschooled kids ever been asked about, or for, their high school diploma after they graduated from college?  Is a high school diploma, or GED, ever seen, or come up,  after those college apps are in?

Thanks!
Yvonne

That is crazy!  Talk about being chained to a checklist!

I wonder if you had gone up the ladder enough, until you reached someone who had graduated with a 4-year degree (ie, someone who would have known that a high school degree/GED was required for college admission), if it would have made a difference.

But that's an interesting data point! Thanks for posting!

3 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Only once, when I was working at Amazon.  I signed up with a temp agency for Christmas season and in order to hire me full time they needed proof of high school graduation.  Either a high school diploma or a GED was acceptable (cause really, all we were doing was sticking stuff in boxes, taping them shut, and sticking a label on them lol.)  Problem was, I couldn't find my HS diploma.  I have since found it, but I couldn't find it then, I had been graduated from HS for almost a decade.  What I did have was my BS in Elem. Ed.  I had taught for a short time and also had my (by that point expired) teacher's license.  So I brought those to HR on site, they said that should be fine.

Someone at the corporate HR decided those two things were not good enough.  They wanted my actual high school diploma or a GED and the fact that you really can't get into college or get a teaching license without a HS diploma really didn't enter their brains.

Which, ultimately, DH got a full time position and we moved a good 1.75 hours away within like 3 months, so getting hired full time would have been irrelevant in the long run.  

But yeah, If I had NEEDED that position, I would have NEEDED my diploma.

I have no idea where my high school diploma is.  It used to be with my college diploma, but it hasn't been for years.  Don't have the first idea where to look for it.  And my high school closed permanently last year, so I don't think I could even order a duplicate.  So I guess no working at Amazon for me...

My dd18 was asked for a diploma when she switched from DE to matriculated college student at the CC.  I printed one on my computer, and they were perfectly happy with that, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes.  Every year when I register my kids as independent homeschoolers in our state I have to mail in a copy of my high school diploma.

For the record, I also have a B.A, a Ph.D., and a J.D.   I do not know if they would accept any of these diplomas.  The form asks for a high school diploma, so that is what I send.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I had to provide a copy of it when I applied to become a substitute teacher. Like happysmilylady, my college diploma or year of teaching wasn't sufficient.

My mil got caught needing her marriage license for her name change when she needed a state ID, too. She married in the 40's and wasn't sure she could find it when she moved here.

Yes, the local community college required that we bring in the original so they could scan it for their records. It was required for admission.

FWIW, I'm a professor have had to supply copies of all college diplomas AND all college transcripts every time I've applied within the state system. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 6:54 PM, JennyD said:

Yes.  Every year when I register my kids as independent homeschoolers in our state I have to mail in a copy of my high school diploma.

For the record, I also have a B.A, a Ph.D., and a J.D.   I do not know if they would accept any of these diplomas.  The form asks for a high school diploma, so that is what I send.

Our state also requires a copy of the high school dilpoma when you send in your notification to homeschool. When my oldest was kindergarten age and I had to send it in the first time I couldn’t find it and my college one was at my parents house and not easily accessible but I had a copy of my Medical school diploma. I stressed and stressed about it because I’m a rule follower but finally dh convinced me to just send it in. He was like “Seriously, let them try and argue with you that it doesn’t meet the requirement.” He was right, it was fine. 😀

• Like 3

for a civilian contractor position with military, my oldest needs to prove that what she put on job application is true.  So when they come to ask we'll have to show something from the cover school and diploma is one option for that. same with her college stuff.  who would have thought?

1 hour ago, Alice said:

Our state also requires a copy of the high school dilpoma when you send in your notification to homeschool. When my oldest was kindergarten age and I had to send it in the first time I couldn’t find it and my college one was at my parents house and not easily accessible but I had a copy of my Medical school diploma. I stressed and stressed about it because I’m a rule follower but finally dh convinced me to just send it in. He was like “Seriously, let them try and argue with you that it doesn’t meet the requirement.” He was right, it was fine. 😀

The funny thing is that the high school diploma is the only one that I can find!  It just happened to be at the top of a box that my parents had kept for me, and now I keep it with all of my homeschooling paperwork.  I have no idea where all of the other diplomas are.  Well, I guess (hope) they're in the garage somewhere, but unearthing then would not be a fun afternoon.  

Because my dc’s were doing college classes online........we had to prove they had a high school diploma to get an official degree from the University.

I know I carried both my high school and College diplomas with me when I moved to the U.K. for entrance purposes.  For the type of Leave(think green card) I had they had the right to make me prove I spoke English fluently and the diplomas were the easiest way.