Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Critterfixer

Accountability Thread 12/1-12/7

Morning, Accountables. Went to bed with 70F and thunder. Woke up to 40F, sunny skies, and wind. Living on the edge of the plains makes for some interesting weather changes in a hurry.

This month is certifiable insanity. I am working out of town three days a week starting next week, trying to keep up with whatever writing project will drop on my desk in the next couple of days (line edits), keeping up with school for three weeks, and trying to actually cultivate a holiday atmosphere in the madness. To that end: Today's schedule:

Grocery list, catch up laundry, dishes, cat boxes, have the boys do the chicken house (raining too much last week to do it), 1000 to 2000 words in my novel that I'm drafting, wash linens, sort and put away groceries, water indoor plants, annoy the cats, check on house-sitting cats and play with them, make something for dinner, get a blog post up, start drafting a post for tomorrow on a different topic, write out the to-do list for tomorrow (worse than today) and DECORATE FOR CHRISTMAS. Also write up who has been naughty or nice and gets presents. Can't buy them yet, but at least the list will be done.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

DH took off today.

Church this morning. 

Family time

Meal at church tonight and Christmas Advent program.

Regular school tomorrow 

• Like 3

Morning. I got through yesterday's list, all but the houseplants. The boys are doing school.

Today's list: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, clean bedrooms and bathrooms, water plants, do an emotion module for my writing study, cook taco meat and a flan for dinner, 2000 to 3000 words in my novel, finish the last of a writing event that I probably never do again, character work, phone calls.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

Time to juggle normal school with the demands of Christmas. I hate that it feels a bit stressful at times but time crunches do that for me. 

I got a coupon for a half price massage and I am redeeming it today. Massages tend to throw me into a pain flare so this is an experiment. The reason I am trying anyway is because I have heard that she is better than the average bear and I am hoping that she might be able to tell me what is wrong with my shoulder when MRIs etc have failed. 

• Like 2

I got this new thing (for me) at the independent coffee shop where we are doing school.  I wanted a hot chocolate without the sugar.  So they suggested a "steamer" - steamed milk (almond milk in my case) with a touch of sugar free chocolate.  And it tastes just like hot chocolate but for a fraction of the calories! 

• Like 2

Good morning!  (just barely here -- have half an hour 'til noon). 

Oh my.  Our term "break" flew by; I got rather little done 'cause DH was under the weather and now I am too.  So it is crazy here starting our term!  Today I am working directly out of my WTM checklist for "Monday" at the grade level each boy is doing, editing it on the fly and pulling materials from boxes, hunting through the house for books and supplies. 

Start of term; elder DS stomach flaring up again so need to orient on that; we're hosting a party for DH's work folks mid-month and we'd like to have an open Christmas "tea" for the people at work who don't have families/don't have plans.  Not sure if anyone will actually come for that, I ought to e-mail folks.  All this and sweet baby Jesus, too! 

Today: do a day of school work, spend time housecleaning, get everybody out for a run even though it is raining, leave a dinner for DH in a neat-ish kitchen.  Anything else is gravy, though Christmas planning would pay off the most I bet. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 2

Dd7 finished school. Phonics, Bible time, 50 States, penmanship, her reading, math and crafts.

Decorating for Christmas. 

Tomorrow hoping to go on a hayride to look at Christmas lights while drinking hot chocolate. 

• Like 3

Morning. Back at it, but today is supposed to be a light day as next week, I'll be working. 

Today's schedule: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, emotions module 6, cook cranberry sauce and rice pudding, 2000 to 3000 words in my novel, 5 to 10 pages of character work, call about meds that were not called in for me, decide what to read at writers' meeting since I won't be there for the next 6 weeks.

Boys have school, and have already started. Our tea kettle broke yesterday. I'm torn between irritation that I don't have a kettle and happiness because I hated the one we had and can now buy one I want. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

I had a lot of shoulder soreness last night. Not enough to need pain meds but enough to know that area really needs work. But it is so expensive. I have chiropractic tomorrow and will see if I have any insurance options. 

• Like 2

Daddy took DD to storytime at library this morning. The theme was horses and that was their craft also.

School work done:  Phonics, Bible time, her reading, math, penmanship and learning about the 50 U.S States.

Now arts/crafts and playing with Daddy.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Quick!  Buy one  that you want!

oh, yes, do if you possibly can! 

We'll be doing school lite ourselves, 'cause I'm sick and school isn't the only thing that really needs attention around here.  Today was pretty full but I'm cutting it short.  We did math, a foreign language each, some science/other stuff, and we'll hit some writing, ideally memorization, and piano before end of day.  I hope. 

I should: nap; make boys run (which means running with them); clean; spend 30 or so minutes prepping tomorrow's school; make dinner; try to get some exercise.

• Like 2

Boys have off today. I had an MRI this morning, and I had to have some medication to keep me from leaving the table in a hurry. I don't like tight spaces at all. So I'm back home, tucked in bed, and trying to do some work that doesn't require extensive braining to accomplish. 

Schedule: MRI, don't scream, fix a few more Christmas decorations and find out how many packages we have for gift cards, cook a pork loin and an applesauce cake, 1000 words on novel, emotions course module 8, maybe 9, sketch something for painting tomorrow, light housekeeping, laundry, dishes, cat boxes, take care of cats, character work.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

I'm glad that you got through the MRI, Critter.

I had a very rough night last night- cobbled together 3 1/2 hours according to my Fitbit. 

No school today.  I am not sure about tomorrow or the next day either due to appointments in the morning. 

• Like 3

School almost done. She has done 50 States, food chain, when to capitalize a word and 3 of the 8 parts of speech (via sheppardsoftware.com), Bible time plus Advent and phonics.

Currently working on penmanship.

Needs to do math and read to me.

This semester Daddy did bedtime reading of "Alice in Wonderland " and currently doing "The Wizard of Oz". Most nights, sometimes she reads her own stuff and sometimes just an audiobook. She loves the "I survived and Boxcar Children series" in audiobooks. 

• Like 3

Evening!  we are not at 100% here, but are tooling along ...

Critterfixer, glad you are done with the MRI.  And Jean: I thought I had a bad night, & younger DS woke up with a nightmare partway through, but I surely clocked more hours than you.  Hope tonight's better. 

We did minimal school today including piano & memory work & got our Christmas tree.  Am still cobbling the new year/term together.  Tonight: shower, pick up, read to boys, yoga I hope and then bed.  Tomorrow: finish everything on the academic schedule left from Tuesday (!!!), elder has a language class, and I'm going to try and do all the subjects from our Wednesday schedule but less of them -- cut down the times by 1/2 or so. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Slept 7 hours and 28 minutes last night.   Glorious 

I'm so, so glad you slept better.  Thanks for posting this and for the good news on food log & step count: whoo-hoo!  It's encouraging to me. 

Today: DH and I are sick.  So number 1, continue to be loving and kind.  I need to make a list.  I'll slap it down here so that I can find it easily; if past performance predicts my future "returns" I'll be lucky to get half of it done.  More of a thought-list, then, than a real to-do list. 

1. school list.  goal: get through "Wednesday list" and draft a combined "Thursday/Friday" list for tomorrow for both boys, editing around classes and piano lessons as necessary.
  2. exercise goals.  I haven't gotten the boys running this week for a whole host of reasons which are, frankly, not good reasons to drop the ball on fitness. 
    1.   So am putting on my big-girl unders and getting us out for little runs this AM and PM.  And I mean little, like, really short.  But it'll get us going. 
    2. Elder DS needs to do some proto-weight-training, start that today.
    3. And Canadian RAF XBX for little one.
    4. For me: at least engage some of my "ballet" exercise, yoga and some step.  I don't want to get more sick, but need to do this for pain management/prevention and to stay healthy.
  3. House cleaning: do a round of it; laundry away.
  4. Holiday prep: gift thought list; DH's lab party prep list; draft out when we'll do holiday crafts with Oma (hallelujah this year I could afford to buy kits so it will be open-and-go); come up with holiday read-alouds.
  5. have grace, empathy, fortitude, love and joy.   !!!!  well, TRY to.  and keep trying. 
  6. almost forgot: dinner!  make something!!

ETA: I 💕 you guys.  Now we are going: whew!  This thread is really hoping me focus and get the important stuff done. 

• Like 2

I had to stay home from "coffee shop school" today because my son's car was being towed away for charity (public television).  It was his first clunker and only worked for about a year (and only about half that time!).  It has been on my list FOREVER to be towed away but I had to send him the title at college, get him to sign, send it back, and then all the donation and tow details.  There are still some donation paperwork details but at least it is finally out of our driveway and I can now park my car in our driveway and not on our street.  I have had one neighbor in particular make a lot of snide comments about my car being on the street despite them parking at least two cars on the street. . .    

• Like 2

Christmas used to be this fun family affair.  Right now it isn't for various reasons.  I am trying to take it back as my own personal expression of my faith and love.  This year this has meant doing all the decorating myself without even trying to cajole recalcitrant teens to help.  Putting on Christmas music that I like (Mannheim Steamroller and Celtic Christmas music today).  Making myself some hot chocolate.  Donating to some charities (long term choices of ours but this year I did it totally the way I wanted to).  I think that another year I might want to do some entertaining of some sort but that isn't going to happen this month.  Oh and I did the Christmas cards all by myself.  I feel like a Christmas version of The Little Red Hen. 

• Like 2

Way to go, Jean! 

Today was a day out and about for art. I caught up with some of the cleaning I didn't finish yesterday because my legs had turned into sandbags after the sedation for the MRI. My MIL said she wanted the same medication to help her sleep. I told her it didn't help me sleep. Just made doing anything really difficult. Sleep was its usual hassle, but worked out okay.

Not putting down my list today, but aside from my writing, I got everything done. Just going to write for the rest of the evening, do some reading, and call it a day.

Tomorrow should be busy. We have school, family members are coming home after an extended trip, I have to go to the library, and we all have a hair appointment before we all disappear behind our bangs. Then work on Saturday.

Then comes....the Dreaded December. We'll see if my planning preparation will hold or if I'll be screaming by the end of the week.

• Like 2

I have no reactions. I was prodigal and used them all. Sigh.

Today's goals: Boys are doing school already.

For me: Laundry, dishes, cat boxes, emotions module, 2000 words in first draft of novel, character work, read first chapters of a Beta read for another writer, finish a short story collection read, hair cut and color, go to the library, start list of books to buy/read for both writing craft and comp titles for my next two novels.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

Morning!  

Today we are doing a brief combination of Thurs + Fri school plus a great deal of practice for the boys' piano recital, which -- I noticed last night -- is tomorrow!  Oh my, it snuck up on us.  I am presenting a calm, cheerful face to the boys and elder DS is (I gather) mentally noting which measures he can drop out of his piece without anybody noticing.  !!!!  Naturally I'm strongly encouraging him to actually play all the notes but, in the end, the main thing really is for the show to go on and folks to have a good time. 

The usual: cleaning; school; planning; exercise.  I did get each boy out for one run each yesterday, which is progress, and got my ballet done; and I did a brief yoga this morning.  Goals: hit all Thursday/Friday school topics; a run for everybody -- younger, elder, and one for me too; a round of house cleaning; clean out the fridge a bit; make souffles + salad + quick tomato confit for dinner (doesn't that sound lovely? it would be a nice reward for a good day's work); watch the next episode of the Philip Pullman "Dark Materials" series with DH after boys go to bed.  Would love to draft a holiday party list, general holiday list, and have a sense of our next week's schedule. 

ETA notes: to go on the board for next week: term's history sentences; any foreign language grammar charts; Bible verses; poem; any basic science.  Planning for next week: Sun have elder type up a weekly list on his computer; make a list of daily work not on our WTM schedule (memory, keyboarding, piano/theory &c); schedule Bible/faith studies; set boys' notebooks up ...

• Like 1

Yesterdays school was done.

She did some school today. Gone most of the morning though and she was really tired. 

Will do reminder of school tomorrow.