Menu

S/O Minimal - what have you regretted purging?

matrips

1 hour ago, matrips said:

Beautiful!  I waver all the time with my kids shirts about whether to save them and do this.  I still have a bunch, but I think I’ve already gotten rid of a ton. 

Did your ds see it yet?

He hasn't seen it - it was supposed to be a grad present, but is now a Christmas gift. He knows I had a firm don't-throw-away-shirts rule though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, linders said:

A glad-I-didn't purge story (sorry, totally contrary to the theme).

Through two major moves and much family drama, I saved kids tee shirts. The first tee my staff got me when I announced I was pregnant. The tees for both boys from our beloved preschool. And high school. Sports tees. Camp tees. Scout tees. The tees we bought to celebrate graduation from the Jedi Training Academy at Disneyworld. The tees from the little kids fishing derby dad took them to. Two large boxes for DS19, taking up space in our closet. 

Last week I finished piecing the tee shirt quilt for that DS, and today I got the quilted product back from the quilter. 

IMG_2171.jpg

Beautiful!

i have had a couple of forced purges because of moves.......lots of odds and ends that I regret with those.  I actually repurchased a few of the books.

On purges that I was in charge of I gave away a couple of plastic IKEA (that were a beautiful blue and did not look cheap)trays I had used frequently for church and since we were going to a new church decided that I would give half my trays away.  IKEA had stopped making that style.  I still take food places.  I now have to be super careful of my remaining trays.  Seriously they stacked,  what was I thinking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My niece's husband saved his Legos though they were stored at his parents' house. When they were dating and would come to visit he'd disappear into ds' room to build with Lego together while I visited with her. They now have 3 kids and he's glad he saved those bricks, glad his parents had the room to store them for him. It's what gave ds the idea to save his. They're in big Rubbermaid bins (so are the Thomas trains and tracks) so they can be stacked anywhere. Currently they're stacked in his closet. 

• Like 1

I love the quilt!

I thought about doing that once, but I don't quilt, lol. and most of my shirts or kids shirts end up stained. 

And then I got a quilt made from my grandmother's sweaters, as a baby blanket for my youngest. It truly is sweet and wonderful, but the binding is already coming off in one area, and honestly, I'm not going to use it regularly, especially now that I don't have any babies. So it sits in a box in the closet. Which means i never look at it and think fondly of my grandmother, which I assume is the purpose. Instead, I see the box and feel guilty it is just sitting there being ignored. I still have it, but I wonder why...I mean, I never look at it. I remember her all the time in other situations already, I don't need the sweaters for that. My kids never really knew her, so it isn't like they are going to want to inherit a baby quilt made from sweaters of someone they never knew that can't really be washed easily. So...why?

For now the answer is that my aunt would be horrified if I got rid of it and she found out, since she had it made. 

But I did donate the 1980s peach sequined wedding suit my grandmother wore in her second wedding that is 3 sizes too large for me even if peach sequined suits with shoulder pads ever came back in style, lol. And all the costume jewelry other than what my DDs wanted to play dress up with. And the 4 purses my aunt sent me of hers, about as fashionable as the sequined wedding suit. 

Because I loved my grandmother, and think of her when we pray for the departed every week at church, and whenever I drink champagne which she loved, and when I hear a certain line in Winnie the Pooh that reminds me of her. But the stuff.....it isn't her. 

Now, if it was my mothers...maybe?? But of my mother's the only thing I really want is the ring she wears on a daily basis. So maybe I'm just not sentimental?

• Like 2

Purged and regret - My tennis trophies, plaques, and awards. The cards given to us at our wedding. My college papers and notebooks. Antique bowl from my mother; I didn't like it and it kept being shifted from cabinet to cabinet, never being used.

Kept and don't know why - my wedding dress; 90's style which no one will ever wear again.

I have found that purging increases my anxiety and causes many sleepness nights.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1