Menu

Khan Academy or LoF to round out pre-algebra?

My 8th grader has been doing TT pre-algebra but doesn't seem to really understand fractions, decimals, or percents, so she stopped TT to do Key to Fractions, Decimals, and Percents.  It's going to take her at least a couple months to work through the Key to... books and I'd like to add another program to finish out pre-algebra rather than going back to TT pre-algebra and having to do math through the summer or carry it over to next school year.  I was thinking of either using Khan Academy or the 3 Life of Fred pre-algebra books.  Which would be better, or is there another program someone would recommend?  DD is non-mathy.

Edited by caedmyn
changed title/topic

I have never done LoF, but I have used Khan. I think it gets a bad rap, and I am not sure why. Our oldest did Khan 3-5th grade math to find out if he had any holes in his math knowledge before going into pre-algebra. He is doing AoPS as his main math curriculum, but I have him do Khan (thus far pre-algebra, algebra, alg 2, and geometry) prior to AoPS, and I have found it to be pretty good. The videos are really well done, straight forward, and teach to conceptual understanding. 

I think Khan is great for what you are looking for. It is great for filling in holes because you can quickly work through the stuff you already know and slow way down for stuff you dont. There are videos for absolutely everything. You can see your progress online. 

If you have never done Khan math, understand that when it gives you a percentage, it is not a percentage of how many you got correct, but your percent toward mastery of the particular topic (like counting within 10). 

My 14-year-old gets very frustrated with it because he inputs answers incorrectly sometimes.  He doesn’t do this very often, but when he does it is so frustrating.  It’s enough for him to have a poor attitude about it and make it not a good choice.  Other than that it would be good for him.  

We didn't use LOF pre-algebra with my older, but since then and also for younger (who isn't to pre-A yet) it has become our go-to reinforcement book.  When we finished Singapore 6A before the semester was over, I pulled out LOF fractions because I thought that's what needed practice and younger is loving the change of pace.  Older used/uses LOF Alg and Alg 2 once/week while he worked through AoPS Algebra and geometry - it's been nice to have a fun, short, easier math day and he's found it useful to see the material taught a different way.  When he starts AoPS Alg 2 in the spring, we plan to continue with whatever LOF book he's on, once/week.  Younger will likely do Jousting Armadillos pre-algebra, and I'll probably have her use LOF once or twice each week at the same time.  We've used Khan for other topics, but haven't tried it for math.