Menu

Is there a required S&S for US History?

Because of some unexpected issues with our plans, DS14 cannot take an American history class next year at TPS.  I am considering adding to my DS14's current history to make it count for high school U.S. History.  He would be finishing it over the summer(s) so it would be transcripted during his four years  of high school.

I was thinking it would be 0.5 credit Modern U.S. History in a World Context and 0.5 credit U.S.History to 1914 (or American History from  ____________ to 1914).

Currently he is using the list below. The HO3 text coverage starts in 1914. So my thought was I can use OUP Pages from History texts (such as The Civil War) to supplement to provide US History to 1914. I also own The American Odyssey.

My question is--can I just cover US history from 1877 or do I need to cover US history from the beginning? Is there a required scope and sequence for US history? I have seen two part US history courses but I don't know what colleges want to see. 

________

Current study list follows:

The Human Odyssey Volume 3: From Modern Times to Our Contemporary Era, 2007

Oxford University Press’ Pages from History Series (note that only portions of some books are used)

• The Gilded Age: A History in Documents, 2003
  • World War I: A History in Documents, 2010
  • World War II: A History in Documents, 2009
  • Hitler and the Nazis: A History in Documents, 2006
  • The Cold War: A History in Documents, 2011
  • Twentieth Century China: A History in Documents, 2010
  • The Vietnam War: A History in Documents, 2003

map work from MapTrek Volume 4: Modern World

Plus selections from:

Reading the American Past: Selected Historical Documents, Volume II: from 1865, Michael P. Johnson, Second Edition, 2002

Words Aptly Spoken: American Documents, Jen Greenholt editor, 2011

My Fellow Americans, The Most Important Speeches of America's Presidents, from George Washington to George W. Bush, Michael Waldman 

I don't think I've ever seen a school that specified anything other than it be a credit in US history, so as far as I'm concerned, you can do whatever you want as long as it covers some aspect of American history as the primary part of the course. You should always check individual schools, of course. I feel like I did see one that required a specific time frame once, but I remember being surprised. That's very unusual.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I don't think I've ever seen a school that specified anything other than it be a credit in US history, so as far as I'm concerned, you can do whatever you want as long as it covers some aspect of American history as the primary part of the course. You should always check individual schools, of course. I feel like I did see one that required a specific time frame once, but I remember being surprised. That's very unusual.

We have absolutely no idea where he will end up for college, but I just looked at about 15 and didn't see a time frame. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cintinative said:

We have absolutely no idea where he will end up for college, but I just looked at about 15 and didn't see a time frame. 

Then you should do what you want. More than a specific time frame, colleges that are actually going to look at what you did beyond the course title want to see solid, high school or college level materials and your list has that.

• Like 1

I have seen a few people mention in the past on these boards that their state requires *public* high school students to do TWO years of U.S. History -- one year is up through Civil War, the second year is post Civil War to the present. But that is a state public requirement for high school graduation, and would not affect you.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

When my ds applied to university, I listed "US history in a world context" on his transcript. And in his course descriptions, I described the course from 1840-1970. He got into 3 great schools (CMU, UM, MIT), so it couldn't have mattered that much. 

Depth vs Breadth. I'm all for Depth. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1