Menu

Videotext Geometry Module F (Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus)

It was a good intro to trig, and I absolutely adore the way Video Text teaches just about everything, but there is no way I would call it a Precalc course. Not very much at all on functions and only basic trig concepts. I have my kids do VT Algebra and VT Geometry, then Chalkdust Precalc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

It was a good intro to trig, and I absolutely adore the way Video Text teaches just about everything, but there is no way I would call it a Precalc course. Not very much at all on functions and only basic trig concepts. I have my kids do VT Algebra and VT Geometry, then Chalkdust Precalc.

Is this with using VideoText finished Geometry Module F (on-line version)?  

2 hours ago, Mom21 said:

How much of Chalkdust do you use? Any specific sections or just a complete run through of Precalc? Where do you go from there? Chalkdust Calc? Dual enrollment?

All of it. Some of it is review and they go through pretty quickly, but we don't really skip anything. I would much rather take our time through these topics and make sure their Algebra is down cold than rush through and get to calculus. We start VT in 8th and they are usually done with all of Algebra sometime at the beginning of 10th grade, than we switch to Geometry which takes them til about the middle of 11th, then finish Chalkdust in the rest of 11th and 12th. My 2nd DS and DD do well with math, but they don't like it and don't want to spend more than an hour a day on it, so that's what we do. On their transcript I just put Alg I for 9th grade, Alg II for 10th, Geometry for 11th, and Precalc for 12th even though they started VT in 8th.

The exception to this pattern was my oldest DS who is a math whiz and loved spending 2+ hours a day on math and did all of VT (both programs) in 2 years followed by AoPS C&P and NT and precalc and calc 1 and 2 on his own -  but my other kids think AoPS is a fate worse than death lol! So his transcript looked a little different, obviously. 

10 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Is this with using VideoText finished Geometry Module F (on-line version)?  

Yes. I know VT advertises that it is a Precalc program, but I disagree. *I don't think it would be dishonest at all to count it as that on a transcript, since that's what the program claims, and technically all the topics have been covered.* But IME, more practice is needed with functions in order to prepare the student for calc and higher math, which is kind of the point of precalc in the first place. IMO/E, VT is a very robust and complete and strongly conceptual Alg I, Alg II, and Geometry course with a strong emphasis on word problems and proofs that I highly recommend, but I would follow it up with a more standard precalc course.

YMMV!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

Yes. I know VT advertises that it is a Precalc program, but I disagree. *I don't think it would be dishonest at all to count it as that on a transcript, since that's what the program claims, and technically all the topics have been covered.* But IME, more practice is needed with functions in order to prepare the student for calc and higher math, which is kind of the point of precalc in the first place. IMO/E, VT is a very robust and complete and strongly conceptual Alg I, Alg II, and Geometry course with a strong emphasis on word problems and proofs that I highly recommend, but I would follow it up with a more standard precalc course.

YMMV!

Thank you!  Yes, we are getting close to finish VT Algebra.  My boys love the program and are rocking the word problems!!!  They hated them at first and whined about having to do all the steps.  They understand now!  Going right into Geometry when they are done with Algebra.  I did not go past Alg 2 in high school so I will make sure I look into beefing up precalc when they are done with VT.  

• Like 1

Thank you, Momto6inIN! You have given me much to consider, especially since I've been trying to decide what to do if/when Module F is completed. 

After mulling over your comments, I thought about an additional year of Precalculus, but that would be a bit of overkill for us. And after comparing the course outlines, supplementing with Chalk Dust Precalculus isn't the best use of our time and money, either. So, I spoke to Adam at VideoText and shared my concerns. I am now feeling more confident in our choice to continue into a Calculus course next year *after* completing Module F. However, Chalk Dust is the missing link for which I was searching. I had already planned on doing a PSAT prep course this upcoming summer, and the Chalk Dust ACT-SAT Math Review course fits the bill. This will be a timely review and perfect preparation for the PSAT next fall. As for next year, Calculus I (by Ron Larson) with Chalk Dust is where we are headed. I wouldn't have filled these gaps without your input. Thanks again!

• Like 1