Menu

Great Courses vs Great Courses Plus

I've never done a Great Course but definitely interested for my visual kids :) I'm wanting to get a couple Great Courses for HIstory for my kids but I was wondering if Great Courses Plus was a better deal and if there was enough content for my up and coming high schoolers. Both Great Courses and Great Courses plus is having a sale right now.

Edited by Mom28kds

22 minutes ago, Jackie said:

You pay a monthly fee, and get to stream anything in their Plus catalog. The catalog includes most, though not all, of their catalog in general. The books that come with the videos/audio are available as pdf downloads. 

It has been a fantastic deal for us. 

Have you used both? Do the hard copy books play a vital role in the courses? I'm not great pulling from PDFs but could try if they are vital.

11 hours ago, Mom28kds said:

I've never done a Great Course but definitely interested for my visual kids

If you’ve never even seen one, I strongly suggest watching a few of the intro/sample videos or better yet check out a full course from your library. I have wanted to like and use them with my kids, but we’ve tried a few and were absolutely bored to tears by them. I cannot watch a GC video without falling asleep! Maybe it’s just me, but I’d investigate a bit before committing.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mom28kds said:

Have you used both? Do the hard copy books play a vital role in the courses? I'm not great pulling from PDFs but could try if they are vital.

Agreed with Farrar. If we’re just watching for the fun of it, we don’t use the book. If we’re actually digging in, the pdf book has suggestions for supplemental reading, questions for discussion, and the information that lets us go deeper.

• Like 2

In case you are sure you want to purchase a course, and especially if it is a larger course, The Great Courses is having a sale today -- all courses $40 plus free shipping, priority code 180181. This is the price of the dvd version, other versions should be cheaper.  They may have a better sale close to Christmas or the new year, of course.

-- LL

14 minutes ago, LLucy said:

In case you are sure you want to purchase a course, and especially if it is a larger course, The Great Courses is having a sale today -- all courses $40 plus free shipping, priority code 180181. This is the price of the dvd version, other versions should be cheaper.  They may have a better sale close to Christmas or the new year, of course.

-- LL

Thank you :)