Menu

What is this pain from?!?!

ktgrok

Is this a sinus thing, an ear thing, or TMJ or what?

Pain in my top teeth on the right side, also pain in the front of the face on that side, some postnasal drip, WAY worse after chewing. 

At first I thought it was a sensitive tooth. I have sensitive teeth and had run out of my special toothpaste. But then realized that whole side of my face was hurting. And then realized it was moving around from tooth to tooth. So fairly sure it isn't a toothache. Now wondering if it is a sinus issue referring into tooth pain, or TMJ, or even an ear infection, or what? 

I took Aleve and it helped a bit, but not a lot. If I eat it really hurts afterward (not so much during, more after). Which is kind of a awful timing for the biggest feast of the year! I took some Sudafed about an hour ago, and am having the post nasal drip now and felt my ear pop a few times. 

What else should I do, if anything? 

51 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Probably sinus. If you can do a saline nasal rinse, I would do that. 

My septum is shaped like a Z or an S, so not really. It is nearly impossible to get stuff to actually go up there into the sinuses. I even had a medical procedure canceled because they were going to put a sensor up my nose and into my throat and they couldn't pass it on either side. 

49 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Do you have any Mucinex?  It will think out the congestion and help clear it.

You know...I might. I think maybe I saw some in DH's toiletry bag from his travels. Going to go look! Thinking maybe a hot shower too. 

Edit - Found the Mucinex! One left, lol. And I took the last Sudafed too. Going to have to hit the drugstore tomorrow I guess. 

Edited by Ktgrok

10 minutes ago, Math teacher said:

Any shortness of breath?

No. But now I'm wondering why you asked, lol. 

17 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Could be sinus but don’t rule out a tooth. The nerves run crazy- it can make it hard to differentiate which tooth it’s originating in, and if you have an abcess or something forming below the surface, or a crack below the gum line that could do it too. 

I am not totally ruling it out but I think the pain is more sinus. 

16 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

You can take OTC nasal sprays like Afrin for 3-5 days without any issue. Don't sweat it- use it if you need it. 

Yep. We use Afrin whenever we have nasal congestion. It works so much better than any of the oral drugs.

And I agree that it does sound like a sinus thing.

You wrote that your ' septum is shaped like a Z or an S '.   Which sounds like a 'Deviated Septum'.
Though the Deviation can increase as we get older.  Which can then cause of blockage of one or more sinuses.
So that you might look into whether this could be the problem?

Ugh - now i think it is tooth pain. I woke up and it felt better and then I had a sip of very hot coffee and the teeth on that side started hurting. 

Now the coffee has cooled down and it is okay. GRR. REALLY hoping it is just sensitivity from being out of my sensitive toothpaste - I did start back up yesterday. I'm also reading that using to firm brushing can trigger some gum recession or irritation that will be sensitive to temperature - and not only did I run out of my sensitive toothpaste I'd switched recently to a firmer toothbrush attachment for the sonicate - a generic one that feels much rougher than the ones it comes with. 

Edited by Ktgrok

17 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Ugh - now i think it is tooth pain. I woke up and it felt better and then I had a sip of very hot coffee and the teeth on that side started hurting. 

Now the coffee has cooled down and it is okay. GRR. REALLY hoping it is just sensitivity from being out of my sensitive toothpaste - I did start back up yesterday. I'm also reading that using to firm brushing can trigger some gum recession or irritation that will be sensitive to temperature - and not only did I run out of my sensitive toothpaste I'd switched recently to a firmer toothbrush attachment for the sonicate - a generic one that feels much rougher than the ones it comes with. 

My dentist just told me that gum recession can result in more bone being exposed, and if it's a lower jaw area food can pocket in the area a cause more bacteria and decay. I have to clean after every meal with a little brush and/or floss.

Hope your pain subsides. You could have some pain from both sinuses and tooth sensitivity. 

16 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

No. But now I'm wondering why you asked, lol. 

I am not totally ruling it out but I think the pain is more sinus. 

Just that it would make me think of heart problems. The only symptoms my dad had was shortness of breath and jaw pain. He failed a stress test and had a quadruple bypass the next day.

Weather changes can do that to my teeth/sinuses. So can a migraine or a need to see the chiropractor. Since a migraine can be triggered by all those things too, it makes it a bit of a chicken and egg scenario!

I hope you feel better. Sometimes a warm, moist compress can make it feel better for a while.

For me, this pretty much happens only on one side of my face and never on the other, so I am pretty sure it's not teeth.